Cut under toenail

B's mummy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I was diagnosed with type 1 5 yrs ago I've never really had any issues with cuts until now.
On thurs when playing football with my dog, he tripped me up and I landed funny - causing the toenail on my big toe to fold in on itself and has left a cut under my nail. There was quotes bit of blood when I took my sock and shoe off. I can't see the cut clearly but there is clear liquid slowly seeping out.
I'm not really sure how to treat it, so I'm hoping for some advice!?
I'm soaking the foot in dettol/water and putting sudocrem around my nail to try and seal it.

Thanks

Adele99

Ouch that sounds as if it would hurt a lot when it happened. Hard to comment on a forum, because we can't see it , but might be an idea to phone and ask to speak to the nurse at your local practice. I've just ended up with a diabetic ulcer from a minor surface scratch on my foot, albeit I've very poor circulation which is probably why it happened. So it pays to take particular care with even minor foot wounds. A lot will depend on whether it's painful, swollen, and if the nail which is broken in half is going to be able to grow out without going inwards.

I though Sudocrem was more for nappy rash or irritated skin as a barrier cream. Certainly it's brilliant stuff but not sure it's the best thing to use, which is why I've suggested asking the nurse. She might be able to give you something better or at least advise what's the best treatment plan.

Reactions: 2 people

B's mummy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks, I decided to phone nhs24 for advice
They gave me an appt to go to out of hours gp. It's infected :( they have given me dressings and anti biotics.

Adele99

Good to hear you phoned for advice and it's being looked after. Can't be too careful with your feet and toes. If I'd taken my own my advice I might be in a better position with my foot. Keep an eye on it and let them know if it gets any worse. Hope things go well.