advice needed.

kezdez

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone. I am a type 1 diabetic and was diagnosed nearly 6 years ago. I generally have very brittle diabetes and find it difficult to keep my blood glucose in the normal range (normal for me is between 13 and 19). I tend to suffer with night hypo s at particular times of the month which van be dealt with using glucose. Although the last couple of time my hypos have been getting worse resulting in last night not being able to use my legs. My partner couldnt wake me and when I need finally come to I was unable to get to the bathroom as I had no control of my legs and they were in total spasm and fixed in a terrible position. I ended up dragging myself to the bathroom using my hands. This has really scared me...... luckily my partner was there but he generally works nights. Has this ever happened to anyone else ? I am pretty sure my GP will laugh it off if I talk to him

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The leg "spasm" thing?

The GP,will know what you mean by this.. It's not something he should "laugh off".
Your BS's dropped really low..

I had this as a kid once when I was about ten. Though I was on a bike at the time & could barely keep my feet on the peddles & just managed to get home..
Worst thing ever.. It was like a goose stepping zombie in callipers.... I never let this happen again..!

Do you keep anything to treat your hypo next to the bed?

Reactions: 4 people

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi kezdez,
It's common for hypos to muck up coordination of your walking. This is why type 1 diabetics run the risk of appearing drunk when in fact they are hypo with very low blood sugar.
This happened to me when I was trying to get home on the bus. I couldn't walk straight. I knew I was hypo, but had no glucose on me to get myself out of the situation.

@Jaylee's question: Do you have glucose tablets by your bed? I know from experience that it's easier said than done, but you need to have the means with you at all times to get yourself out of a hypo. You need to cure a hypo quickly before you become too confused to do so.

Your GP won't laugh.;) It might be a good idea to talk to him/her about your overall control, but you can also keep a closer eye yourself on your blood sugars by testing regularly and looking out for patterns in your results.

Reactions: 5 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi again,

Just to reiterate your Doc will take you symptom seriously it's widely known what dangers are involved when prescribed insulin drops sugar levels too low..

Here is the effects of what would have been animal insulin on non diabetics...

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Kezdez, I'm sorry to hear about these difficulties. To repeat what others have said, the doctor will take this very seriously. You must have a glucose supply right by the bed, for you or your partner to use. As well as a meter.

You may be a good candidate for an insulin pump. Do you have a hospital team that support you? You should have. Please make an appointment with them to talk about the problems. Running 13-19 as "normal" is not sustainable, and neither is having these type of serious hypos monthly.

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Echo what's already been said, people with Brittle Diabetes do have difficulties controlling their bg levels and I think you need to get your gp to refer you over to the care of the hospital diabetes team, go see your gp sooner rather than later Kezdez.

Reactions: 3 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Those sugars are quite high but obviously you may not be able to do much to improve them. Can I ask what insulin regime you are on, whether you carb count and some typical shots per day? Are you normal or overweight? If you have Brittle db I would have thought you should be under the care of a hospital team?