Not long now...

hails

Well i am 30 weeks now so only around 8 or so weeks to go - I dont know if I will be induced at 38 or 39.

I am so excited!

Diabetes hasnt been too much of a problem except random readings on some days but we have had this weather to cope with.

Anyone gone through labour with a pump?

H xx

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Congratulations on your pregnancy .
You sound as if you are doing fab !!

Good luck. :)

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh not long now then Hails, glad everything has been going well :)

I'm on a pump but not got to the pregnancy stage yet, have seen lots of people say the pump has been fantastic for them whilst pregnant though :) xx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
So excited for you, congratulations.It wont be long now, as the next couple of months will go really quickly.

sorry, I cant help with the pump question, as I was on injections and still am.

Sending you my very vest wishes and good luck :)

Pitsgate

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm a bit ahead in weeks - 36+2 now, induction has been set for 27.8 and plan is to stay with the pump as long as possible (t1 for 26 years, had the pump about 2 years - really love it!).
Have read a fair amount of other pump users' experiences from various blogs in order to be prepared for it all but assume at some point (the obs. team think when in 'established labour') will need to switch to the drip.
But if manage to keep it between 4-6 (and avoid c-section) then who knows...? Will keep you updated!
X

Reactions: 2 people

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a bit ahead in weeks - 36+2 now, induction has been set for 27.8 and plan is to stay with the pump as long as possible (t1 for 26 years, had the pump about 2 years - really love it!).
Have read a fair amount of other pump users' experiences from various blogs in order to be prepared for it all but assume at some point (the obs. team think when in 'established labour') will need to switch to the drip.
But if manage to keep it between 4-6 (and avoid c-section) then who knows...? Will keep you updated!
X
Wow how exciting , sending you loads of good luck wishes . :)

hails

Sorry guys I didnt have any notifications that anyone had responded. The obs said I would keep my pump on unless I couldnt cope but I think I would feel more comfortable doing it myself than being put on a sliding scale (Im not sure how they work if you yourself have a good idea of what you require with years of experience??)

Pitsgate - make sure you come back on and share all the details :)

xx

Pitsgate

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello! Back to the land of living... A perfectly healthy, beautiful girl was born (with forceps) on Friday morning!
38+3, 2685g...

Sorry for the essay, hope someone finds something useful in it... Not sure if should post this here but as it's mainly re the pump, I guess it's ok here?

Induction got started with gels on Wednesday eve, then waters got broken on thu eve. Few hours later onto hormone drip which was fine until they doubled the dose to 2.4 or something - absolutely horrid change in contraction pain followed instantly and anaesthetist wasn't available for epidural... Was told would take 20min for him to get there but ended waiting for a few hours according to my husband - for me it's a bit of a blur that time. The gas and air didn't touch the sides at all... Once finally got the epidural tho, ohh man, amazing stuff. Huh.

Anyway... Stayed on pump all the way through! Was really meticulous with readings, taking them and marking down right from the start - my husband was rock solid with this, especially towards the end when things got bit chaotic! Really could not have done it without him. I mainly made the insulin decisions (there weren't many from thou eve onwards) and he made sure I stayed hydrated and got energy to keep going with water/coconut water/orange juice.

Being able to show the readings was the only thing to convince the obstetricians (saw quite a few throughout the days and had to have the sliding scale vs pump conversation with all of them) to let me stay on the pump.
Kept it between 4 and 6 to begin with (with one high blib earlier on) and on thu night we kinda lowered it more towards 4's as felt it as more secure to correct upwards then down. Small sips of orange juice were the thing I kept on having. Just did a few boluses to bring it down from the upper fives and as for the basal rate - I used the ones I'd set few days earlier when had the last drop in requirements - still higher than pre pregnancy but not loads (I'm pretty sensitive to insulin, so didn't have a massive jump anyway).

Once they decided we needed to use instruments and hence the risk of Caesarian increased, we got moved to the theatre and another sliding scale conversation followed - by this point I was 3.6 and the anaesthetist was very sceptical but agreed to keep on the pump unless things went pear shaped. And in the end just said we should suspend the pump as I was.low enough for the baby, it hopefully would not take long and would anyway crash down once placenta was out (which turned out easier said than done). So from about 9am onwards pump was off till delivery at 9.20am and still suspended till about 11am - and during this I had about 3 glucojuices and a few pieces of toast. Requirements really dropped!

Baby's blood glucose readings: around 11.30am was 2.8, next one at 2.30pm was 2.6 (borderline problem number but they didn't raise a flag yet) and last one once around 6pm was 4.0! Which was very good :). Cannot remember if she was fed before or after any of these, tho pretty sure she definitely had colostrum before the first reading, but not sure how the feedings were set regards the later numbers.

Tadaaa! Ask if got any queries!
Xx

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 people

Pitsgate

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh and I think your partners might find it useful to hear the story from my husbands point of view, he might write something of the whole process bit later on... Xx

JessP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Massive congratulations!!! Well done you. Thank you for putting down all the details re the pump as I've been starting to think about how to persuade my team along this route when the time comes (only 15+4 at the moment).
Well done once again, fantastic. Enjoy getting to know her and your new lives together!
best wishes,
Jess

Pitsgate

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks Jess - do ask if got anything you are wondering about!
(we did my diabetes birth plan w36 so that formal stuff may be a while away for you, but would love to help if I can in any way)

By the way - In the beginning on Wednesday it was about once an hour by with the readings (less during the first night) and by he time we got to Thursday night we were testing every 30 or 15 min... Probably got bit trigger happy but it's such a simple thing to do and doesn't take long... And as everything else seemed so medicalised and out of our control, it felt important to be in charge of the diabetes management at least - I'm sure they could have done an ok job with it but in the end, I suspect I know my body better... Xx

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi pitsgate .

A big congratulations being sent your way , I bet you a very proud mummy right now .
And thank you for sharing your story with us all gives you hope that it really can be done and the hard works is worth doing !!

Congratulations and take care

:):):)