Neuropathology Symptoms

Y3MBailey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey all I have posted some of this in a previous thread about my general health but this question is more direct.

I am T1 and have been for the last 18 years. I am 29 now. slightly overweight in the last few years (about a stone over ideal weight for about 3 or 4 years) my hba1c has always been between 6.8 and 7.5 over the last 10 years

About 6 months ago I started to feel tingling in my hands and feet along with general numbness in my arms and legs when I lie or sit in my hands and feet. This all came along very suddenly in a few days.

Went to DCT and they noticed my thyroid was swollen and all my glands were also up. They reckoned it was due to a virus that I had these symptoms come on so suddenly and said it should pass.

Sure enough 2 or 3 weeks later the symptoms all stopped and I felt fine again. Thyroid stayed swollen DCT says I have a small multi-nodular goitre but it is common. Thyroid function was fine.

2 or 3 weeks ago I noticed my glands were again swollen (very large one under arm). The tingling came back although now it is in arms as well as hands (and still feet). I also have the numbness again in my arms or legs when I sit down. Along with this I now have pain in my joints particularly wrist and elbow.

I have spoken to the DCT who still think it might be a virus due to the speed everything has come about (symptoms possibly made worse by the fact I am a diabetic and therefore may have a small amount of neuropathology anyway)

I have been checked for lots of things and had lots of scans and blood tests so far all have come up normal.

Next thing the doctor wants to check me for is Lyme diesease.

anyone have any experience with Neuropathy and its advancement?

Do these symptoms sound typical of diabetic neuropathy or atypical

My diabetes control has actually been a lot tighter in the last month or so and hope to get my hba1c into the 6s next time I go to the DCT.

Obviously I would rather it be a virus or illness that can be cured but if it is diabetes related I need to know.

many thanks

Reactions: 2 people

Neo88

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

I don't have any specific experience of diabetic neuropathy but I am under investigation by the rheumatology team due to years of joint clicking and pain and muscle loss. At times I have numbness down my arms and in my hands but it is very short lived. Like you, I also have relatively low hba1c levels. Have you been referred there and have they done any bloods to rule out lupus etc? I know you said you had lots of tests done.

Sorry I don't have any real advice to give. I hope they find out what's going on and can help.
Neo88