CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Thanks everyone!

Only one issue I can think off... does the "fasting before op" rule means that I CAN have juice if I go low before the op?
No you can't, I went low so had some liquid glucose, it's the same as hypo stop but tastes a lot better. No fluids or food due to the possibility of vomiting or choking. Liquid glucose can be found in the baking isle of any supermarket.

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No you can't, I went low so had some liquid glucose, it's the same as hypo stop but tastes a lot better. No fluids or food due to the possibility of vomiting or choking. Liquid glucose can be found in the baking isle of any supermarket.
I'm saying about a situation before I get to the hospital, so more than 2h before the surgery itself. I'm pretty sure I'll pee the juice out before getting the GA.

MrsB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had to have a vitrectomy in December under GA. Was paranoid about being too high so ended up hypo when they were doing the pre op checks. They gave me 2 glucotabs and told me to crunch them up really small and I should be ok. Felt such an idiot. They checked my BGs throughout the op just in case.

Edit: I would suggest that if you do go hypo, make sure you have something like liquid glucose on standby rather than OJ and let the eye team know as soon as you get there. They may be able to move you to the end of the list or something to give it more time to get out of your system. Hope it all goes ok xx

Last edited by a moderator:

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I'm saying about a situation before I get to the hospital, so more than 2h before the surgery itself. I'm pretty sure I'll pee the juice out before getting the GA.
The answer is still no :)
It's at least a 6 1/2 hour fast. Come to think of it my instruction were nothing after 7.30 AM had to be there for 1pm and op was about 2.15pm

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine is supposed to be early, I'm supposed to arrive at 7am. So they said no food after midnight. That's not too bad, just skipping breakfast :)

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mine is supposed to be early, I'm supposed to arrive at 7am. So they said no food after midnight. That's not too bad, just skipping breakfast :)
So what did it say about liquids?

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
One of the very few benefits of being on insulin is that mostly you get bumped to the front of the queue where general anaesthetics are concerned :) Less waiting and angst pre op. ! ;)

Signy

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm getting the op done privately. For the NHS doc I would have to wait for a second review scheduled for end of December. Then get referred to the surgery and wait for the date. I'd have to quit my job beforehand because I would go blind...

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Oh and as another thought everyone is told to arrive at X hour so you might find 5 others waiting as well :)

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm getting the op done privately. For the NHS doc I would have to wait for a second review scheduled for end of December. Then get referred to the surgery and wait for the date. I'd have to quit my job beforehand because I would go blind...

Ahhh yes' I remember when you first posted about the cataracts, that was ages ago !:eek: I didn't think they would make you wait that long on the NHS considering your age and occupation ! :mad:

Signy

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ahhh yes' I remember when you first posted about the cataracts, that was ages ago !:eek: I didn't think they would make you wait that long on the NHS considering your age and occupation ! :mad:

Signy
The doc I saw for the first time said that the cataracts "may disappear" so she wanted to wait... We can just manage to pay for the op so I decided to go for it. I'm getting a more advanced type of lenses as well, so may not need glasses so much after it.

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The doc I saw for the first time said that the cataracts "may disappear" so she wanted to wait... We can just manage to pay for the op so I decided to go for it. I'm getting a more advanced type of lenses as well, so may not need glasses so much after it.
Lol Cataracts do not disappear. Great news about the advanced lenses though. If you have sedation rather than GA it will work out a lot cheaper for you as well I would have thought.

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Will probably go with sedation for the second eye. I just want to get this done and see better.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Lol Cataracts do not disappear. .
Scoff not. Cataracts do resolve. My surgeon is the head eye surgeon at the hospital and also the liaison with the diabetic unit in the same hospital. She said that relatively recent cataracts can and do resolve with improvements in glycemic control, but that for long standing cataracts it is unlikely.

Reactions: 2 people

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Scoff not. Cataracts do resolve. My surgeon is the head eye surgeon at the hospital and also the liaison with the diabetic unit in the same hospital. She said that relatively recent cataracts can and do resolve with improvements in glycemic control, but that for long standing cataracts it is unlikely.

My cataracts are very new, they appeared right after diagnosis. My bg has improved, hba1c is perfect, cgm says 90% "in target". And they keep getting worse. Each Monday at work I can see less and less :(

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My cataracts are very new, they appeared right after diagnosis. My bg has improved, hba1c is perfect, cgm says 90% "in target". And they keep getting worse. Each Monday at work I can see less and less :(
Sorry. :-(

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Same with my cataracts, except in my case my glycemic control is ****.