Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep.....my daughter says my eyes look glazed and I look stoned!! It's raining here and I came back with my Brooklyn up and sunglasses on!! Drops really did sting, lovely young man did my screening and he,was really informative. Still blurred three hours on and light is a bit too much!!

It took me a good few days for stinging to stop - anytime I went near steamy kettle or in sunlight they'd start smarting then hurting. Vision was ok by next day. Got my results on Friday and they were fine.

Reactions: 5 people

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It took me a good few days for stinging to stop - anytime I went near steamy kettle or in sunlight they'd start smarting then hurting. Vision was ok by next day. Got my results on Friday and they were fine.
My letter said 6wks for results but he said more like a week.......hopefully all ok!!

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds awful. Messing with eyes is up there with the dentist

Reactions: 2 people

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
16 .5 this morning .disappointed to say the least but starting on Glucophage Sr again today as Doc wants me to give it another try *sigh*

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
So I've still not had an appointment for an 'official diabetes' retinopathy check but I got my eyes tested again at my own optician a month or so again and all she did was shine a light in my eyes and look carefully - didn't find anything untoward.

5.7 this morning btw - on the suspect strips batch still.

Reactions: 6 people

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Perfect excuse to go shopping then!
Except you won't be able to see if your bum looks big in whatever you try lol!
When I went I was expecting the drops to sting but it still took me aback and I was gaping for breath for a split second. My daughter went with me and she said I looked strange with dilated pupils. They say no driving for 4-6 hours.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

dale1958

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
vegetables
16 .5 this morning .disappointed to say the least but starting on Glucophage Sr again today as Doc wants me to give it another try *sigh*
mine are still high 13.6 today still cannot get my head around carbs I'm on 25% method reaching that goal, but having to eat 2500 calls + a day to stop hunger pains don't know what to do next except maybe starve myself, but being active all day at work does not allow that spent most of the day looking for low carb bread for my sandwiches no luck obviously I suppose we have to persevere and hope for the best, keep your chin up it will get better eventually!

Reactions: 3 people

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
mine are still high 13.6 today still cannot get my head around carbs I'm on 25% method reaching that goal, but having to eat 2500 calls + a day to stop hunger pains don't know what to do next except maybe starve myself, but being active all day at work does not allow that spent most of the day looking for low carb bread for my sandwiches no luck obviously I suppose we have to persevere and hope for the best, keep your chin up it will get better eventually!

Hi Dale :)

I think your going to have to knock those sandwiches on the head and find an alternative .If it's any help .I know you like chinese food .Is there anywhere you could heat up a meal at work as Holland an Barrett do something called Slim rice with no carbs and no calories that you could add to any meat with a sauce on .http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/eat-water-slim-rice-60007572 I've also ordered the Zero noodles noodles made from the same plant . Or a low carb veg soup in a thermos .I've made quiche without the pastry twice and boy that's filling and is nice cold with salad .I know you don't like Veg but if you disguise it well in soups it's bearable .good luck in getting your bg down :)

Last edited by a moderator:

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Bergen bread has one of the lowest carbs content. Even so, I suggest only one slice at a time. I don't eat bread much but I have a sliced burgen loaf in the freezer.
I don't know whether you need to lose weight or not or what your ideal calorie intake should be but if you're trying the low carb diet I would go for deciding how many grams a day you want to limit yourself to rather than a percentage.
Instead of sandwiches, perhaps take the one slice of burgen then make up a container with lots of low carb in it eg salad, egg, olives, cheese, some kind of cold meat or fish. Make it as interesting as you can. Also nuts such as almonds, hazelnuts or walnuts. Dessert might be sugarfree jelly or any fruit ending in -berry with full fat yoghurt or cream. Fromage frais is also nice. Milled linseed may be added to yoghurt and you can get different ones from Aldi quite cheaply. If you don't want to boil eggs you can buy jars of pickled ones. My mum and dad had some and I tried them. They were fine.

The key is to make the meal interesting. I'm sure others will be along with suggestions. Drink plenty of water. Have a drink of coffee or whatever low carb preference you have, if you feel hungry. Eggs, cheese will help you feel fuller for longer.

Also, if you exercise you can eat those calories you burn. Eg if your calorie limit is 2000 to lose 'x' pounds a week. If you exercise and burn 400 calories you can eat 2900 and still lose the weight.

Try using myfitnesspal if you haven't done so already. Mapmywalk is another app if you like to walk and it synchs with myfitnesspal.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I never used to have salad but now I have them daily and make them posh - artichoke hearts, asparagus, olives, antipasti stuff. And best of all is my dressing - sour cream, chives, garlic and mayo. Makes it so decadent and is allowed!

I love salami and Brie salad
Ham filled with cream cheese
Tuna mayo
Chicken mayo
Smoked salmon
Poached salmon

Romain lettuce is good to make wraps from too.

Soup is a great idea.

Not tried those noodles - let us know what they're like...

Xxx

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I make a big batch of salad and portion it into takeaway containers so I can grab and go. It stays fresh in fridge for days - just keep lettuce at the top and dressing separate.

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I think your going to have to knock those sandwiches on the head and find an alternative .If it's any help .I know you like chinese food .Is there anywhere you could heat up a meal at work as Holland an Barrett do something called Slim rice with no carbs and no calories that you could add to any meat with a sauce on .http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/eat-water-slim-rice-60007572 I've also ordered the Zero noodles noodles made from the same plant . Or a low carb veg soup in a thermos .I've made quiche without the pastry twice and boy that's filling and is nice cold with salad .I know you don't like Veg but if you disguise it well in soups it's bearable .good luck for in getting your bg down :)

I know everybody's different but I would rather go without than eat those noodles. I tried the carb free ones from H&B and I would have been chewing for hours if I hadn't binned them. I much prefer the cold quiche idea, a bit like a Spanish omelette without the potato.

I make pancakes with ground almonds instead of flour. I sometimes add the milled linseed too. When cold it can be used as a wrap for salad, cheese or meat etc.

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I never used to have salad but now I have them daily and make them posh - artichoke hearts, asparagus, olives, antipasti stuff. And best of all is my dressing - sour cream, chives, garlic and mayo. Makes it so decadent and is allowed!

I love salami and Brie salad
Ham filled with cream cheese
Tuna mayo
Chicken mayo
Smoked salmon
Poached salmon

Romain lettuce is good to make wraps from too.

Soup is a great idea.

Not tried those noodles - let us know what they're like...

Xxx
Yum!!

Make sure there's no potato in the soup. Roasted red bell peppers make a good base for a soup too.

If there's lots of scrummy interesting things to dip into it makes everything more interesting and the bread won't be missed.

dale1958

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
vegetables

I think your going to have to knock those sandwiches on the head and find an alternative .If it's any help .I know you like chinese food .Is there anywhere you could heat up a meal at work as Holland an Barrett do something called Slim rice with no carbs and no calories that you could add to any meat with a sauce on .http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/eat-water-slim-rice-60007572 I've also ordered the Zero noodles noodles made from the same plant . Or a low carb veg soup in a thermos .I've made quiche without the pastry twice and boy that's filling and is nice cold with salad .I know you don't like Veg but if you disguise it well in soups it's bearable .good luck in getting your bg down :)
Guess what I have just finished a bowl of holland and Barrett noodles with chicken, green peppers and carbenara sauce it was good, and the noodles 300g only 0.3 carbs total did not see slim rice will have a look when I am next in town, they are called barennaked noodles and they are on the website

Last edited by a moderator:

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you think they're worth a try? I'm scared of them for some reason but no idea why?!?!

dale1958

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
vegetables
Bergen bread has one of the lowest carbs content. Even so, I suggest only one slice at a time. I don't eat bread much but I have a sliced burgen loaf in the freezer.
I don't know whether you need to lose weight or not or what your ideal calorie intake should be but if you're trying the low carb diet I would go for deciding how many grams a day you want to limit yourself to rather than a percentage.
Instead of sandwiches, perhaps take the one slice of burgen then make up a container with lots of low carb in it eg salad, egg, olives, cheese, some kind of cold meat or fish. Make it as interesting as you can. Also nuts such as almonds, hazelnuts or walnuts. Dessert might be sugarfree jelly or any fruit ending in -berry with full fat yoghurt or cream. Fromage frais is also nice. Milled linseed may be added to yoghurt and you can get different ones from Aldi quite cheaply. If you don't want to boil eggs you can buy jars of pickled ones. My mum and dad had some and I tried them. They were fine.

The key is to make the meal interesting. I'm sure others will be along with suggestions. Drink plenty of water. Have a drink of coffee or whatever low carb preference you have, if you feel hungry. Eggs, cheese will help you feel fuller for longer.

Also, if you exercise you can eat those calories you burn. Eg if your calorie limit is 2000 to lose 'x' pounds a week. If you exercise and burn 400 calories you can eat 2900 and still lose the weight.

Try using myfitnesspal if you haven't done so already. Mapmywalk is another app if you like to walk and it synchs with myfitnesspal.

thanks for that, my problem is i am bordering on underweight 10st 2ib and 5ft 9 so the calories are not a problem if anything I need to put on a few pounds
Do you think they're worth a try? I'm scared of them for some reason but no idea why?!?!
there ok as long as you add some flavour to them like carbenara or chilli sauce, also found myself eating a lot of walnuts and brazil nuts lately seem to be a good snack in between and quite filling needs lots of squash to go with them though!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What was your disappointment based on Susie?

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
thanks for that, my problem is i am bordering on underweight 10st 2ib and 5ft 9 so the calories are not a problem if anything I need to put on a few pounds

there ok as long as you add some flavour to them like carbenara or chilli sauce, also found myself eating a lot of walnuts and brazil nuts lately seem to be a good snack in between and quite filling needs lots of squash to go with them though!
I think
You can still use myfitnesspal to gain weight. It must be very hard to get the right diet for BG control when you don't want to lose weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.