Addison's Disease - Addisonian Crisis

ShellyC23

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
This weekend I suffered my second Addisonian Crisis - my first since being diagnosed with Diabetes. I first thought I was suffering a hypo but a BS reading quickly ruled out that theory. I wondered if there were any other diabetics who had also had this experience? The huge amount of hydrocortisone needed really raises your BS readings but at least you don't need to worry about having a hypo while you're too ill to eat - every cloud .... LOL

Guess it will be a few days before I'm back to normal but at least I'm still I'm alive and home from hospital.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hope you're on home from hospital and hopefully getting back to normal.
I'll just tag a member that I know also has Addisons that may be able to share knowledge/experience
@CarbsRok

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi Shelly, Like you I have Addison's and diabetes. Addison's about 12 years and diabetes 49 years. I've had a few crisis. Worst one was about 6 years ago I think. Consultant said I was very lucky to be alive he thought another 20 mins and I would have gone. Ended up with 500mg of HC via a drip plus the 200 already given at home by ambulance crew. My insulin pump worked overtime for 24 hours and I never went above 9 :)
When I go into crisis blood sugar and BP hit the floor boards.
Hope you feel better soon.

ShellyC23

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I bet you didn't sleep for a week after all the extra steroids - its only now, three days later than I feel like I am getting anywhere close to being back to normal.

I assume you have emergency injection kits at home? I was diagnosed aged 19 with Addison's but it was not until I lost my sister 12 years later to a Crisis that I was given a kit and taught what to do in a crisis.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I bet you didn't sleep for a week after all the extra steroids - its only now, three days later than I feel like I am getting anywhere close to being back to normal.

I assume you have emergency injection kits at home? I was diagnosed aged 19 with Addison's but it was not until I lost my sister 12 years later to a Crisis that I was given a kit and taught what to do in a crisis.
Hi Shelly, I'm so sorry for the loss of your sister ((((((((hugs)))))))

Yes I have a kit and it's been used a few times :) My GP gave me 5 vials of HC plus injectable anti sickness meds.
Once home I persuaded my landlord to drive me to the kennels to pick up my dog who had been put in there on an emergency bases. Being miss independent I then attempted to visit and check all of my horses to make sure all was ok even though neighbours and friends had very kindly seen to them all for me.
Food poisoning had caused the crisis, to say I was ill was the understatement of the year, was meant to have been sorting out sheep with my landlord first thing but could only crawl down the stairs to let my dog out. He didn't stop for a pee just took one look at me and went through the railings on the garden wall and went over to the farm to get my landlord. He had never left the premises on his own before and always my shadow. Landlord realised something was wrong as Tanner was most insistent he came with him and I was no where to be seen. The rest is history. Out of hours Doc were astounded I could actually stand up after they got to me as had a bp of 60/40

Reactions: 6 people
K

Kat100

Hi Shelly, I'm so sorry for the loss of your sister ((((((((hugs)))))))

Yes I have a kit and it's been used a few times :) My GP gave me 5 vials of HC plus injectable anti sickness meds.
Once home I persuaded my landlord to drive me to the kennels to pick up my dog who had been put in there on an emergency bases. Being miss independent I then attempted to visit and check all of my horses to make sure all was ok even though neighbours and friends had very kindly seen to them all for me.
Food poisoning had caused the crisis, to say I was ill was the understatement of the year, was meant to have been sorting out sheep with my landlord first thing but could only crawl down the stairs to let my dog out. He didn't stop for a pee just took one look at me and went through the railings on the garden wall and went over to the farm to get my landlord. He had never left the premises on his own before and always my shadow. Landlord realised something was wrong as Tanner was most insistent he came with him and I was no where to be seen. The rest is history. Out of hours Doc were astounded I could actually stand up after they got to me as had a bp of 60/40
Well done to,your lovely dog , amazing ...
So glad you are home now , take care ...Kat

Reactions: 3 people

ShellyC23

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Shelly, Like you I have Addison's and diabetes. Addison's about 12 years and diabetes 49 years. I've had a few crisis. Worst one was about 6 years ago I think. Consultant said I was very lucky to be alive he thought another 20 mins and I would have gone. Ended up with 500mg of HC via a drip plus the 200 already given at home by ambulance crew. My insulin pump worked overtime for 24 hours and I never went above 9 :)
When I go into crisis blood sugar and BP hit the floor boards.
Hope you feel better soon.
Can I just ask about timings of your crisises? I've had two and they were both early morning - i just wondered if this was a characteristic of a crisis (as my sister also died early morning) or if it was purely a coincidence

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Can I just ask about timings of your crisises? I've had two and they were both early morning - i just wondered if this was a characteristic of a crisis (as my sister also died early morning) or if it was purely a coincidence

Hi Shelly, I normally time it for the weekend and late evening :(
Only one has involved admittance to hospital though. The others have managed myself or had ambulance or out of hours Dr sort the problem.