What does happen to non diabetics blood sugar, what should we be aiming for?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If your spikes peak is before an hour then test around that time to see where that spike goes.

And your weight matters for three reasons.
1) Blood mass: The more blood you have the more sugar it will take to get your blood sugar to the same level as someone with less blood mass.
2)Muscle mass: The more muscle mass you have the more chances insulin has to interact with a cell and remove sugar from your blood.
3)Fat mass: The more fat mass you have the less often muscle will allow insulin to put sugar into it.
As most T2 diabetics are trying to lose weight and consider that these factors are not normally associated with BSLs as a baseline.
I would not consider them for what I eat only that it is low carb and that my plate size is small.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I can't understand my own condition but yours seem totally unfathomable to me.
My RH condition means that carbs have to be very low and I have to control them not to spike above 7mmol after eating.
If I test after half an hour to an hour it would be obsessive and highly erratic.
I don't test now if I have my usual meals, only if I have something unusual or new. Or if I don't feel too good.

this is too difficult two

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My RH condition means that carbs have to be very low and I have to control them not to spike above 7mmol after eating.
If I test after half an hour to an hour it would be obsessive and highly erratic.
I don't test now if I have my usual meals, only if I have something unusual or new. Or if I don't feel too good.
If you don't test till 2 hours you will miss the spike.
The spike is the high point.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Your missing it! I don't try and spike at all! So I don't need to test the spike!

EPhantom

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
I test my wife sometimes and she can have very large spikes depending on the meal. In general though she starts in the low 4s and is back there after 2 hours. Strangely with some meals she starts lower than me, peaks higher and is higher after 2 hours. I can't find a pattern though.

Well... That all has to do with the types of carbs, if there are fats and proteins, and I've read a few things involving... I think they called it gastric dumping? Basically when the stomach decided to dump it's contents into the small intestine. Some carbs can pass through the stomach lining, like pure glucose, but if it isn't broken down real small it can't. So that could contribute to the length of her peaks.

That is all a bit odd, I must say.
I wonder if it's something to do with your ulcerative colitis? Sort of over reactions in the body?
I aim for <7.8 one hour after meals.
I hope for <6.5 two hours after meals.
And I really hope for <5.5 in the mornings, and three hours after meals, as well as before bed.
Although I don't get the results I want all the time :oops: I don't beat myself up about it, I forget it and get on with trying again at the next meal or day :p
Actually it's not that hard to forget with a Traumatic Brain Injury :blackeye:

That was someone elses words from a different forum. But I have been seeing really funky numbers... 5 minutes of jogging in place after a meal then again without jogging, it shouldn't have been as different as I saw... did NOT get results I wanted... basically screamed DIABETIC... yeah, not doing that again... going to have to find a way to force myself to try a different diet... going to take a bit to figure out to make it work... want to try something like... 10g per hour on the hour and protein is free whenever. fats are just a no for me, as low as I can go

um... my UC probably wouldn't be messing with much, it's under very good control with an anti-inflammatory that I get from one of the manufacturers. They know it's expensive and that I can't pay for it, so they just give it to me =D

My liver though... yeah, that IS messing with my BG... I remember my brother telling me I needed to watch my sodium intake... so I asked my doc and he said I don't have to worry till it goes into cirrhosis... basically turns into a giant scar... then one of the docs told me to limit myself to 2000mg... I already had myself restricted that way for the most part... so I just try to not think about it

EPhantom

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Well I wasn't told to do anything about my diet for UC and hashimotos... was just told to limit my fats and salts for my PSC. and idk if the steroids are still affecting me or not :(... really hoping they are and that this isn't permanent... :arghh:

I have bouts of hope and despair, feeling really down right now :depressed:, was feeling amazing earlier in the day.

Harpar

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi EPhantom, your original quote was from what I posted on MyFitnessPal in the hope of someone having an insight - didn't happen ! ! But I have also posted here in the pre-diabetes section Glucose not a problem, but carbs are !

As far as the OGTT goes - didn't get ANY spikes whatsoever, neither did I get a reactive hypo - I followed it with my meter checking every 15 mins.
Food wise - there are a number of possibilities and factors to consider.
1) Maybe the liver keeps dumping glucogen even in the presence of food.
2) Maybe one of the many signalling mechanisms that sense food and call for the production of insulin don't work.
3) Maybe because I am reasonably fit, pretty slim etc and by the time I get to do the OGTT my glucogen stores are depleated so I absorb the glucose directly to replenish the stores and feed muscles that need it, so whats left over isn't enough to raise my BGs.
4) Maybe its age, just can't process carbs - but that leaves the anomaly of how I can deal with the OGTT.
5) Maybe don't do anything at all with the glucose and just chuck it out of the system.
6) Maybe magnesium deficiency, since taking it my post-prandial numbers have dropped by 40mg/dl, so look much more 'normal' or only a little raised, but you would expect that with advancing years due to pancreatic ageing.

Basically my doctor doesn't give a stuff, not interested and wont explain whats happening - probably can't !

Like you I am small, 52kg, with hypo-thyroidism, currently 75 micrograms of levothyroxine. Maybe that is linked - who knows.

My a1c is now back in the pre-diabetic range - ****** - but maybe that is because my red blood cells are living longer. Basically because I feel great, I will assume that that is what happening. I shall continue LCHF because it works for me. Just means that I don't eat the stuff that raises my BG levels.

What I will say though that a rise from around 80 to about 180 mg/dl on one banana would not happen in a non diabetic. Just that amount of carb will leave me totally disorientated, definitely not safe to drive, shaking etc. etc. for goodness sake I used to have a 'nana sandwich when I was a full time gardener with no ill effects, so those results aren't normal. Also low C-peptide, Gad negative. So no immediate worries there. But, until it goes more pear-shaped, its not worth worrying about. No-one as yet has been able to give any answers. Just stick LCHF.

Reactions: 2 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would suggest you look into the autoimmune protocol of the Paleo diet - many people report huge improvements in their autoimmune conditions (like UC and Hashimotos) on a Paleo/real food diet. It should also help your BG control.

Reactions: 3 people

EPhantom

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Harpar you make me wonder... maybe the fact that we're taking our thyroid meds at one time is messing stuff up... we're essentially dumping TONS of hormones it at ONE time, then letting it slowly go down... Imagine if we tried to do that for insulin in diabetics!

I'll talk with my doc about it when I see him on the 9th. ask him if there would be ill effects if I took my thyroid meds half and half 12 hours apart.

Indy, already basically being forced to eat closer to this paleo diet (from the first source saying what it is). I'll do more reading into what it is and see if it will work for me. If it could help with autoimmunity then my ENTIRE body will do better!

Harpar

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Harpar you make me wonder... maybe the fact that we're taking our thyroid meds at one time is messing stuff up... we're essentially dumping TONS of hormones it at ONE time, then letting it slowly go down... Imagine if we tried to do that for insulin in diabetics!

I'll talk with my doc about it when I see him on the 9th. ask him if there would be ill effects if I took my thyroid meds half and half 12 hours apart.

I doubt that it would make any difference, but you can ask. The levothyroxine should be taken on an empty stomach, so you might have problems splitting the dose. Its also only T4 which is the in-active hormone, you have to convert it to T3 - unless of course you are on a natural dessicated hormone which is different. Don't think that it matters too much if you miss a dose, i.e. you dont have to take the missing meds to catch up, its quite slow acting. The fact that the thyroid doesn't work properly will help to mess up your metabolism though, can have an affect on insulin resistance, etc.