Walking up Snowdon for Diabetes UK

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey Guys,

I hope you don't mind but I thought I would stick my Just giving page on here and keep a blog/diary of sorts whilst I train!

https://www.justgiving.com/Aimee-Ford-Young/

I've covered 6 miles this weekend and I'm quite pleased with that as well as getting 5 others on board to come with me :)

Anyone Been up snowdon? I was persuaded to buy the 'base layers' should I keep the receipt?

Reactions: 5 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
That's brilliant, well done :) I have never been up any mountain,. I would say always keep receipts for every purchase and wishing you the best of luck :D

Reactions: 2 people
C

chris lowe

Good luck. I did it many many years ago and the view is amazing. Think I would need to go up on the railway now and walk down (would that be cheating?)

cath99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
well done to you this will be a fantastic achievement for you lots of luck xx

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done you for even contemplating this :) It sounds challenging, but fun :)

I'm looking forward to reading about your progress !

Signy

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks guys :) had my first training hypo today :( CGM said 5.0 monitor 3.2 and I was about half a mile from home. All good though got back ok.

Some basic learning - even a 3 mile wander requires basal reduction!

Thanks again for the support x

Edit: first blister too. **** not a good day!!

Last edited by a moderator:

dilbert56

Been up there 4 times in all weathers! You have 4 options 1. Pen y pass easiest
2. Minas track steepish
3. Pygg track all the way to top (merges into Minas track I think)
4.Pygg track plus crib gogh-hardest and if icy it would bd wise to use ropes and ice picks. 3000 foot drop on one side and narrowing top. Be careful what you wish for!

In terms of diabetes make sure that you are well fed with long acting carbs before you go and don't do it with a hangover as I have! Carry lucozade water and chocolate in good quantities and ensure your blood sugar is if anything a bit up on normal prior to starting. As soon as you climb it can only drop if you inject the regular amount of insulin. (Type1). If type 2 then ensure only the extra carbs for the trip. Enjoy the walk/climb (crib gogh) and go home or to the pub safely!!!

Reactions: 3 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
When you get to the top shout ... hi Jack and wave.
I live in North Wales so might ... just see and hear you.
Hey look that woman on top of the mountain is waving at me!

Last edited by a moderator:

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Been up there 4 times in all weathers! You have 4 options 1. Pen y pass easiest
2. Minas track steepish
3. Pygg track all the way to top (merges into Minas track I think)
4.Pygg track plus crib gogh-hardest and if icy it would bd wise to use ropes and ice picks. 3000 foot drop on one side and narrowing top. Be careful what you wish for!

In terms of diabetes make sure that you are well fed with long acting carbs before you go and don't do it with a hangover as I have! Carry lucozade water and chocolate in good quantities and ensure your blood sugar is if anything a bit up on normal prior to starting. As soon as you climb it can only drop if you inject the regular amount of insulin. (Type1). If type 2 then ensure only the extra carbs for the trip. Enjoy the walk/climb (crib gogh) and go home or to the pub safely!!!

Thanks so much @dilbert56 Im planning a -50% or more basal (T1 on pump) as i drop a lot when walking. I will have a CGM on as well so can live track BG just about. I may even post a pic of results for you all to see :D

Pen y pass it is then :)

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
Thanks so much @dilbert56 Im planning a -50% or more basal (T1 on pump) as i drop a lot when walking. I will have a CGM on as well so can live track BG just about. I may even post a pic of results for you all to see :D

Pen y pass it is then :)
Pen y pass is the safest, and best maintained of all the different routes. Crib goch is a no no unless you've got experience... look at some videos on youtube, it's terrifying! :nailbiting:

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I also preferred the Miners and Pyg track from Pen y Pass (up one and down the other) Much nicer fromthe route that follows the railway from Llanberis It isn't that hard, or it wasn't prior to diabetes. We first went up it with 5 and 7 year olds (drip fed them with trail mix, not so different to what I do now when walking) I think though from the size of the car park in the pictures that it is probably far more crowded than we did them.
I remember that I found it incredibly surreal to have spent several hours of walking up a mountain to arrive at the top and see people who had just come off the train in high heels!
other routes are available though http://www.walkupsnowdon.co.uk/walking-routes-snowdon-snowdonia/
I like the fly through videos on you-tube http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7tTPlg-r9NRJa-2Ay7ooeA

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

dilbert56

You are most welcome engineer88! If you like a bit of a challenge try the Pygg track as it's walkable and if you have a moment of madness go crib goch. It's signposted well but must admit the last time I went I was hungover and decided to bottle it with 4 others of our party of 8! We named the place where we turned back sh*tters ridge. This is a rocky outcrop before you get to the really steep climbing bit so you can back out about a third of the way up. If it's your first time up there, you may want to take it easy....especially in winter!!

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey guys quick update here! half way to our target of 500 squid (i want to smash it!!) on Justgiving/aimee-ford-young boots worn in for the most part and i feel rough as!

Should make for an interesting trip :D