Just completely confused aghhhhh.

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just managed to get my head around LCHF and have read all the diet doctor site and many posts here and then I come across this link from the dietdoctor.com recommending I steer away from any dairy like cream and cheese which for me was the backbone of my low carbing .http://www.liverdoctor.com/what-to-do-if-you-dont-have-a-gallbladder/.
I do know from experience that eating high fats isn't great for me .I get terrible cramps and it just sends me running to the loo so what ?? I'm supposed to do low carb ,low fat ,low everything .Think I need to rethink all of this .Maybe this isn't the right way of eating for someone with no gallbladder .Can anyone in the same boat give me some advice please ?

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Hi Susie

My wife does LC(H)F even though she's not diabetic, but she also has no gall bladder. She can't go full on with cream-with-everything, but she manages some - and butter, oils, avocados etc.

The LC bit is best for BG control, and you find the right level for yourself there, but if you can't replace the lost calories to get to the calorie balance you want by eating more fat, then the other route for the calorie compensation is with protein.

Reactions: 4 people

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Susie

My wife does LC(H)F even though she's not diabetic, but she also has no gall bladder. She can't go full on with cream-with-everything, but she manages some - and butter, oils, avocados etc.

The LC bit is best for BG control, and you find the right level for yourself there, but if you can't replace the lost calories to get to the calorie balance you want by eating more fat, then the other route for the calorie compensation is with protein.

So she basically just watches the fat a bit more then sanguine? I'm just worried because I already know I have liver damage from my liver scan and I've always been pleased that my cholesterol has been low at 3.5 and I'd hate to see that rise . I could ask to see the nutritionist but I know for a fact she'd tow the NHS party line and say "balanced diet " which doesn't work !

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My take is that the HF bit is a bit of a misnomer. Fat is far more calorific than carbs per gram so you don't actually need to be stuffing down cream with everything, butter on cheese or bulletproof coffee to be making up the shortfall in your diet once you remove the carbs. I think of it as enough fat so I'll use olive oil to make my salad dressings rather than a bought low cal one, or have a small portion of cheese as a snack, maybe the odd nut or two. If you have weight to lose then it is worth roughly calorie counting alongside the carb counting as stuffing fat in with gay abandon isn't going to shift the pounds. I try and stick at about 1200 per day and do 40 mins exercise. If you have gallbladder issues then if go along with what Sanguine said and just stick to things like avocados and olive oil rather than the dairy fats. Low fat yogurt ( plain Greek not the branded low fat ones) is only marginally higher in carbs per 100g so I use that as I don't like the mouth feel of full fat dairy much apart from cheese. It's all about adapting it to meet your needs.

Last edited by a moderator:

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
So she basically just watches the fat a bit more then sanguine? I'm just worried because I already know I have liver damage from my liver scan and I've always been pleased that my cholesterol has been low at 3.5 and I'd hate to see that rise . I could ask to see the nutritionist but I know for a fact she'd tow the NHS party line and say "balanced diet " which doesn't work !

I had a fatty liver. Since I started LCHF my trigs plummeted, total cholesterol has gone down a bit (I don't personally see the need to go below 5) and my HDL has gone up. My liver ALT went from 51 (bad) to 17 (good). Obviously you need to consider your own specific liver condition which I can't comment on.

As for Mrs Sanguine, her (much improved) IBS soon tells her if she's eating too much fat, so yes as CE says it's a case of finding the right balance with the right fats that suit you. But if you want to control your BGs the low carb is very important.

Reactions: 5 people

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I had my gall bladder out in 1997 so was on my low fat diet before the diabetes came along, so I just downed my carb no rice or pasta, 2 small roast potatoes or 2 small new in skins when in season, 2 slices of Bergen bread for a sandwich daily for another digestive problem, lots of veg and salad stuff I changed from half fat cheese to full fat but only 5 gm per day butter ration of 5gm daily used on sandwich or toast, cream not a problem in coffee, cant touch avocado which I love only one or two olives or bum plays up, have kept my weight stable throughout by tweeking my food to my meter, my best friend, low fat plain yoghurt with seeds is yummy or a drop or two of vanilla essence depending on taste, fruit is a no no .

Reactions: 2 people

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Remember that liver produce bile and to much low fat usually is the cause for gallbladder stones, the way to do it is to increase the fat slowly making your natural production keeping going and produce enough bile, also coconut oil (slowly increased) is a great fat usually metabolized better. For Swedish chats I've about several without gallbladder or previously having gallstones episodes slowing increasing the fat and doing great on LCHF.

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you all for the advice .I shall take it on board and watch my fats but continue with the low carbs :)

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Susiespearish from your link that was selling liver toner
  • Eat some good fats and avoid the bad fats. Your doctor may have recommended you follow a low fat diet after having your gallbladder removed. This is not necessary and in fact it is harmful. Your body desperately needs good fats and I recommend you include moderate quantities of extra virgin olive oil, avocados, coconut milk and oil, nuts and seeds in your diet.
  • Take a good quality digestive enzyme supplement. The natural bile salts in this product will help you digest fats and fat soluble vitamins more thoroughly.
  • Include some bitter and sour foods in your diet. They should help to improve your digestion and make it easier to tolerate good fats in your diet. Suitable bitter and sour foods include lemons, limes, radicchio lettuce, chicory, endive and dandelion leaves. These leaves are fairly easy to grow at home if you are lucky enough to have your own veggie patch.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@jack412 ,
The problem for most of us who have no gall bladder is that now we have nowhere to store the bile and it goes straight through without digesting the fats on the way so anything fatty goes straight through too, yes its imperative to eat a certain amount of the good fats as you said but how much is variable to each person and dependant on their particular digestion, to encourage someone who has no gallbladder to over eat fats is tantamount to stupidity and will send them rushing to the loo every few mins and setting in motion, no pun intended, a cycle of upset stomach and sore bum syndrome, which I know to my cost can last for days and is very painful

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@satindoll , everyone is different but, I have a gallbladder, but my mum doesn't, My response was from the link that Susie put up, going by that, it is applicable to someone without a gallbladder.
there was a chat recently where a link was put up about slowly changing your diet, so your live can adjust output. IIRC and I have mentioned bile salts before.

going by what's said, whatever level of fat or other changes someone makes, will need to be done over time and ideally with your Dr.
too little fat can cause problems with liver stones and malabsorption of vitamins too.
there seems to be people on a LCHF diet after gallbladder removal.
https://www.google.com.au/#q=lchf Cholecystectomy

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've decided not to go down the high fat route .I'm going to simplify it all and cut potatoes ,rice,bread,pasta.Meat and veg are the order of the day and natural foods like butter and olive oil should I need them and see how I get on .

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Go girl, just make sure if you can tolerate it that the butter and cheese is full fat that way you get the benefit of it and not over do the fat bit, I still have fat free milk but am ok with single cream in my perked coffee cose its only a small amount much nicer than those dried milky things.

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @satindoll I've been having creamy coffee once a day and so far so good .I will use full fat cream and butter and none of that low fat stuff just moderated and give it a week to see if theres any weight loss .I'm not even missing the bread,pasta ect .Good job I love Brocolli,cabbage and cauli :)

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Because of our problem with the fat issue weight is slower coming off, but don't panic it will happen, once I got to 73 kl I was happy for it to stop and have kept the weight off. I still eat Bergen bread but only 2 slices to make sure the fat has something to cling to on the way through or its the loo/bum thing, I have read the article jack was referring to and tried it out many years ago but my tum just couldn't cope and I ended up with acid bum, really painful burning, I use olive oil for frying/roasting if needed and for making home made mayo and I make my own yoghurt .

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
in the short term there shouldn't be any problems going low carb and low fat, to diet and get to your desired weight. As you know, in the long term you will need to raise your carbs to the daily calories needed to keep the weight stable. Then adjust diabetic meds as needed.

Though with butter, cream in your coffee and olive oil, it might be more that you are low carb and moderate fat. It's going to be easier now that you have decided what way you want to go, I hope you don't get too much discomfort as your body adjusts to your new diet. best wishes and keep us informed on your progress :)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Susiespearish - Don't stress too much at this stage about what you will have to do when you have lost the weight you want to. It is likely that by then, your thinking will be a bit clearer, based on the experiences you pick up along the way.

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
So far my body is coping quite well ...slow weight loss and a few more trips to the loo but my bg's are remaining stable and have been as low as 12.6 fasting yesterday .Metformin hasn't changed my bloods so I'm attributing the drop to my diet changes .