Tips for measuring blood glucose

bearMedicine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dieting :)
Hi all

Recently I've started on insulin so I've gone back to doing multiple BG tests per day instead of my previous one a month or so! ;)

And although I've been testing for some years now I was never really taught per se so I'm not sure about some things. I was hoping more experienced people could help out:

1. If you have to really squeeze hard to get a drop of blood out because your lancet didn't go deep enough, does that affect the reading?
  2. I've read about people "discarding the first drop of blood". They must be going pretty deep with the lancet. Does it make a difference?
  3. Where is a good place to test and how do you rotate so that your fingers don't end up looking like a bruised mess?
  4. Do people have any recommendations for lancet type / size etc to minimise pain and bruising?

Thanks, Bear

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
And although I've been testing for some years now I was never really taught per se so I'm not sure about some things. I was hoping more experienced people could help out:

1. If you have to really squeeze hard to get a drop of blood out because your lancet didn't go deep enough, does that affect the reading?
  2. I've read about people "discarding the first drop of blood". They must be going pretty deep with the lancet. Does it make a difference?
  3. Where is a good place to test and how do you rotate so that your fingers don't end up looking like a bruised mess?
  4. Do people have any recommendations for lancet type / size etc to minimise pain and bruising?

Hi Bear

From my own experience:

1) If I can't get a drop out without squeezing hard I try again. Washing with hot water beforehand helps the flow. A tiny drop has more chance of getting contaminated to a higher degree by anything in or on the skin.

2) Some do some don't. If you are getting a first drop to potentially discard in the first place it should be because of free flow not the depth of the lancet. You should only have the lancet set just deep enough to get a good sample. Also the act of discarding (especially if you lick it!) can introduce more contaminants.

3) I use the inside side pads of my middle fingers on both hands and rotate fairly randomly between them. Occasionally the little finger or the outside side pads although that's a bit more awkward.

4) I just use the SD Codefree ones set to about 2.5.

HTH

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
1) I believe it does, I'm not quite sure how but they say you shouldn't squeeze too hard to draw blood but start again.

2) Only set the depth of the lancet sufficient to draw enough blood, personally I've always used the first drop of blood unless my hands haven't been washed and I'll wipe the first drop away.

3) The side of the fingers on the tips, although you can use AST (alternative site testing) but the recommendation is that you speak with your HCP's first. just rotate fingers as much a possible to avoid sores and such.

4) The Accu-Chek lancers are really good, they use a MultiClix drum that contains 6 lancets, the depth setting is good too on this device so pain can be kept to a minimum.

Some advice in the following:

https://www.bd.com/us/diabetes/blood-glucose-monitoring/how-to-test/

Reactions: 2 people

bearMedicine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dieting :)
Thanks for all the very helpful replies and follow-ups. Most appreciated.

:happy:

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Some days I need to try a couple of times, other days it's like Freddy Kruger was here, with blood dripping everywhere.
Some lancet, same finger.

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
4) Tangentially related - if you can get a lancet with a drum I'd go for that one because handling exposed needles on a bus, etc, isn't fun.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
only thing I can add is that I find the accuchek with the release button easier, as suggested by noble the multiclix has this and the softclix. I find it is easier to use, than the top push/click like a pen