New to low carbs..tried & failed! Help!

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
Thank you so much. Will have a look now.

1andylock

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The problem now people read low carb and hight fat and then just eat fat and a lot of fat.
I don't think that is what is supposed to happen.
I never understand where you put al;l the butter if you are low carbing then bread and potatoes are out so where do you use the butter.

Reactions: 6 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You put the fat on salad vegetables, in sauces, on meat, in coffee, in "fat bombes".

LCHF is not normal eating, minus carbs. It's not a chip butty without the bread and without the chips. It's different.

Reactions: 10 people

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Spiker Im not sure what you mean by that. Surely if you remove the carbs from your normal diet them you are eating low carb? I must admit my meals are very different to what they were.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
I never understand where you put al;l the butter if you are low carbing then bread and potatoes are out so where do you use the butter.

You can fry breakfast with it, saute veg with it and put some on your veg at dinner.

@Spiker Im not sure what you mean by that. Surely if you remove the carbs from your normal diet them you are eating low carb? I must admit my meals are very different to what they were.

If you just remove the carbs you are also removing a lot of calories which need to be compensated for with protein or fat. You don't have to eat loads of fat, just enough so that your calorie balance (food in vs exercise out) is appropriate for whatever you want to do with your weight.

stinky25

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hiya,

also trying low carb, but also appreciate that im gonna need some carbs during the day...so...normally porridge for breakfast early a.m., theres my morning carbs, lunchtime is usually a salad with chicken or prawns/fish/ham whatever...few carbs in there but nothing major, and evening is usually lean meat(chicken/beef/turkey) with salad or veg....have cut out pasta and rice pretty much completely, once its gone you ddont really miss it anyways!! usually have a slice or 2 seeded bread with dinner, few carbs in the evening, that's pretty much 100gms a day give or take... bit boring but works for me, bloods are normally pretty good...

to be honest, since I went on insulin I have put on 14 pounds, dietrician told me this is because I lost a lot of fluids when I was undiagnosed and this is the body 'catching up'...but then I read that insulin is anabolic, basically gonna put weight on whatever!! ...never know who to believe...so...im sticking to what works for me :)

Reactions: 2 people

candiloo

Hi all.

Just been lurking in this forum for a while..I tried my version of lower carbs aiming to have about 100-150g a day. After two weeks I stayed the same weight & sugar levels were still all over the place. I am a type 1. I liked the lower carbs but had high fats, like anchor butter and olive/veg oil, I had lots of cheese, eggs, veg, soups I made myself with cream, mushrooms, omelettes, salads, fish and meat. I snacked on carrots/houmous/meat and dark chocolate. Anyone got any suggestions for me as I am going to try again after having carbs this weekend and feeling rubbish!

Thank you
Hi - way way less than that - I go for 65g max. All in the morning when they can get burnt off and you don't really need any. You will burn off your fat and be lower too. You must read the carbs on everything. No dark chocolate - loads of salad and veg and meat and cheese like in Atkins - I honestly feel so much better with no carbs. After awhile you don't even think about carbs. You can pm me on facebook if you want to andwill help you, but you really need to start very low, no insulin and gradually build up.

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
See what carbs do you eat? To get to 65g? I thought dark chocolate 90% was ok? Thanks

Hi OP! iv been trying to low carb for a while now. Its a trial and error process as is most things with t1! I exercise gently most days and try to stick to 65-100g that usually comes from bread in the morning before I work out and berries for breakfast then veggies for lunch. I use the iquitsugar book as a great source for ideas and recipes its not aimed at diabetics but gives loads of good low sugar recipes. Google iquitsugar! It does take a little while but I do not miss carbs at all and I never thought I would say that as I lived without t1 for 23 years! Dark chocolate is my big treat it is ok but per 100g is still quite high in sugar its much better than milk and we all need a treat to stay sane. Dr bernsteins book is a good read but he does prescribe to a very strict diet and I admire anyone that could stick to it he just helps you to realise how protein converts to carbs and where we get carbs from etc. Also miss jen grieves' blog is great you can really relate to her. I find the diet thing a mindfield and its frustrating and isolating PM me if you want to talk more :)

P.s. my bgs are consistently on the higher side as I hate the thought of going into hypo. My recent hbac1 was 8 and I find the only way I keep below 8 is low carb high fat and regular (gentle) exercise

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
Hi @type1traveller

First of all what does OP standstand for?! You sound just like me im terrified of hypos. I have small children around me alot and I live in fear of hypos having had a few in the past. My levels are around 10 most days if not higher.. I need to get my head around this as my weight has piled on lately and I just feel stressed with it all. Once kids are back to school I will have more time to research it and make some big changes. I had biscuits for breakfast this morning and then two bites of choc cake at a party this afternoon so ive certainly not tried today. I have had steak and veg for tea and mackerel salad for lunch though. What gentle exercise do you do? Thanks for commenting.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What I mean is, you don't just take a standard diet and cut the carby items out of it. You don't go from eating pie, peas and chips to eating pie filling and peas. What you do with LCHF is eat a different kind of meal altogether.

Reactions: 5 people
Op is original poster:) I either to a 20-25 min run or go to the gym and do 30 minutes with light weights. I find that way my sugars arent too affected by the exercise. I used to be a long distance runner and would love to get back into it one day. I have a busy job and drive 60 miles a day so always trying to make sure im no where near hypo but I think the excuses arent really acceptable as a hbac1 of 8 isnt good long term. We need to be brave and patient always be prepared for a hypo. Easier said than done I know xxx

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
Well today I have had 2 peppermint teas, mackerel fillets with cheese & scrambled eggs for breakfast. Bgs were 11.4 upon waking (dawn phenomenon) took 4 units to bring them down..bgs currently at 8.4 an hour after eating and 2.5 hours after taking novarapid at waking. So far so good yes?!

Reactions: 4 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So far so good! Excellent food choices.
What was your BG at bedtime? That's quite a high dawn rise.

Reactions: 3 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well today I have had 2 peppermint teas, mackerel fillets with cheese & scrambled eggs for breakfast. Bgs were 11.4 upon waking (dawn phenomenon) took 4 units to bring them down..bgs currently at 8.4 an hour after eating and 2.5 hours after taking novarapid at waking. So far so good yes?!
what Spiker and type1traveller said and have you had time to look at your night time basal?
I don't know if this will help
http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/info/?page_id=120

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
Morning all! Yes I have woke past two nights to check it. Its usually 9.4/9.9 lately before bed & then its 10/11 when I wake. The problem I have is that if I dont eat until 730/8pm and I take my insulin it hasnt finished working when I go to bed about 930/10pm.

The rest of the days food was birdseye beef grill steaks with veg, snacked on pepperoni and a tassimo latte which was made with a creamer. 4g of carbs in the latte.

What cream do you all pour in coffee? Single pouring cream? I am a big coffee fan and would love to find a way around my lattes!! X

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
Oh, I have woke up at 3am/330am past couple of nights and my levels havent moved since bedtime..