Glucophage(Metformin) SR sweats

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all :)

Been off Metformin for over three months due to it giving me diarrhoea constantly .Having tried a couple of other drugs my doc has asked me to give it another try since my bg is 16+ .
Took a tablet 1000mg earlier and I'm having constant hot flushes .I might have put it down to age but since being off it I've never suffered with them .Has anyone else had this reaction ?? I'm just constantly glowing and breaking out in a hot sweat for five minutes or more .:confused:

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It might pay to ask your dr if starting on 500 SR would be better. given you were on them for 3 months and they didn't settle, they may not this time too.
Probably unrelated but one thing I did was take probiotics, I got better stools in a few days.
Now that you have cut carbs, some have said that less carb intake altered their symptoms with metformin.

See how it goes, it seems you have tried a few oral meds without being ok, Has your Dr started talking to you about injectables? As you know 16+ needs fixing and you are going to feel 100% better than you do now, when the BG is in range

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It might pay to ask your dr if starting on 500 SR would be better. given you were on them for 3 months and they didn't settle, they may not this time too.
Probably unrelated but one thing I did was take probiotics, I got better stools in a few days.
Now that you have cut carbs, some have said that less carb intake altered their symptoms with metformin.

See how it goes, it seems you have tried a few oral meds without being ok, Has your Dr started talking to you about injectables? As you know 16+ needs fixing and you are going to feel 100% better than you do now, when the BG is in range

Jack - You really are fixated by medication, and in particular up-selling folks on their levels or styles of medication. It is my belief that some of your "suggestions" are rather close to medical advice, which I don't believe you are medically qualified to give. Apologies if you are a closet doctor or pharmacist.

@Susiespearish - It's incredibly early days in your re-induction with Glucophage, plus you have started low carbing, plus you are recovering.from a general anaesthetic. Those are a lot of variables to be completely certain what's going on. In your shoes, I might be inclined to give it a little longer, taking the prescribed medication, to let everything settle down.

I know a number of people, including myself, have experiences sweats when their bloods have been running high. In my early days, I used to have tropical moments after meals, before I understood the need to moderate my carb intake. As my levels reduced, so did the tropical moments. Were your sweats around mealtimes, or snacks?

This is where your records are important. If you could find somewhere to jot down the timing of any sweats you experience, you may be able to see a trend, even after a day or two. I know it's tough recording your bloods, diet and this sort of additional information, but many of us have found the effort to be enlightening.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@AndBreathe settle down, Op has tried 3 oral diabetic drugs without success and is starting again on metformin 1000 with side effects already, I suggested she ask her Dr about 500 dose and I asked if her dr has started to talk about injectables Which is possible.

Reactions: 4 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@AndBreathe settle down, Op has tried 3 oral diabetic drugs without success and is starting again on metformin 1000 with side effects already, I suggested she ask her Dr about 500 dose and I asked if her dr has started to talk about injectables Which is possible.

To add context, my comment was made taking into account another thread I responded to a short while ago. From memory you talked about the need to increase carbs and modify meds.

Ask yourself how many times you challenge people's drug regimes, and how many times you introduce the concept of insulin or injectable to their regime. As I am polar opposite, and am committed to remaining drug free as long as possible, I may be hyper-sensitive to your postings, but I urge you to be careful. Of course your opinion and input are valuable, but when make directive statements, without any warning or "what I would do" sort of statement, you are, in my view sailing close to the wind.

Sorry @Susiespearish , I didn't mean to derail your thread.

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@Susiespearish - It's incredibly early days in your re-induction with Glucophage, plus you have started low carbing, plus you are recovering.from a general anaesthetic. Those are a lot of variables to be completely certain what's going on. In your shoes, I might be inclined to give it a little longer, taking the prescribed medication, to let everything settle down.

I know a number of people, including myself, have experiences sweats when their bloods have been running high. In my early days, I used to have tropical moments after meals, before I understood the need to moderate my carb intake. As my levels reduced, so did the tropical moments. Were your sweats around mealtimes, or snacks?

This is where your records are important. If you could find somewhere to jot down the timing of any sweats you experience, you may be able to see a trend, even after a day or two. I know it's tough recording your bloods, diet and this sort of additional information, but many of us have found the effort to be enlightening.[/QUOTE]

Your spot on AndBreathe ...they are worse when I eat . I wish he had of started on 500SR gms but having said that with the low carbing although I'm going a bit more so far none of the nightmare runs I suffered last time !! Sadly they aren't effecting my Bg at all though and I really don't want him to start adding more drugs which it seems he'd have to do to effect the bg :(Been to the docs this morning for other non related issues .He's on board with my low carbing since I'd got my bg down to 16's but wanted low fat too but I'm losing weight so far so I'm happy to continue how I have been . .I'm being referred to an Endocrinologist as he's hoping to rule out Cushings Disease or another endocrine problem. I have a superb doctor though .He really listens and does whatever he can to help.

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Injectables have been discussed jack but I will be avoiding them at all costs as they add weight .

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

This is where your records are important. If you could find somewhere to jot down the timing of any sweats you experience, you may be able to see a trend, even after a day or two. I know it's tough recording your bloods, diet and this sort of additional information, but many of us have found the effort to be enlightening.

Your spot on AndBreathe ...they are worse when I eat . I wish he had of started on 500SR gms but having said that with the low carbing although I'm going a bit more so far none of the nightmare runs I suffered last time !! Sadly they aren't effecting my Bg at all though and I really don't want him to start adding more drugs which it seems he'd have to do to effect the bg :(Been to the docs this morning for other non related issues .He's on board with my low carbing since I'd got my bg down to 16's but wanted low fat too but I'm losing weight so far so I'm happy to continue how I have been . .I'm being referred to an Endocrinologist as he's hoping to rule out Cushings Disease or another endocrine problem. I have a superb doctor though .He really listens and does whatever he can to help.[/QUOTE]

I think it's really important to reinforce that the major differences you will find in your bloods, when using Metformin/Glucophage is diet and exercise, not the medication.. Metformin/Glucophage suppresses your appetite and helps with insulin resistance, which in turn helps you moderate portion sizes and metabolise your food a bit more efficiently.

If you are tolerating the drugs well enough, and you are "enjoying" your diet, it could be worthwhile persevering a bit before getting too far into more meds. I posted to someone recently that your body will be trying to maintain the status quo it established before you modified your diet. It was used to that, so all those enzymes are primed to keep your bloods higher. (Assuming your diet is good, and you're sticking to it. Just couching that caveat.) Your body will eventually give in and your bloods should drop back a bit or a lot. Your body might resist enough to give you the odd false hypo. If you search on the forum, there's been loads written about it. If you do have those uncomfortable feelings, I'm afraid you have to stick with it, to break the cycle.

It's a journey Susie, but I'm pleased your doctor is taking it very seriously. I'm sure he must be impressed by your commitment?

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it's really important to reinforce that the major differences you will find in your bloods, when using Metformin/Glucophage is diet and exercise, not the medication.. Metformin/Glucophage suppresses your appetite and helps with insulin resistance, which in turn helps you moderate portion sizes and metabolise your food a bit more efficiently.

If you are tolerating the drugs well enough, and you are "enjoying" your diet, it could be worthwhile persevering a bit before getting too far into more meds. I posted to someone recently that your body will be trying to maintain the status quo it established before you modified your diet. It was used to that, so all those enzymes are primed to keep your bloods higher. (Assuming your diet is good, and you're sticking to it. Just couching that caveat.) Your body will eventually give in and your bloods should drop back a bit or a lot. Your body might resist enough to give you the odd false hypo. If you search on the forum, there's been loads written about it. If you do have those uncomfortable feelings, I'm afraid you have to stick with it, to break the cycle.

It's a journey Susie, but I'm pleased your doctor is taking it very seriously. I'm sure he must be impressed by your commitment?[/QUOTE]

Metformin seems to have the opposite effect on me Andbreath.It makes me feel nausea and gives me a vile taste in my mouth which makes me feel I have to eat something .I put on two stones in 8 weeks having been completely stable for four years the last time I took it despite the constant runs .I'm going to give it two weeks ...if it hasn't improved by then it's going .I was feeling really well on the low carbs but i struggled the whole day yesterday after two days on it .

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

It's a journey Susie, but I'm pleased your doctor is taking it very seriously. I'm sure he must be impressed by your commitment?

Metformin seems to have the opposite effect on me Andbreath.It makes me feel nausea and gives me a vile taste in my mouth which makes me feel I have to eat something .I put on two stones in 8 weeks having been completely stable for four years the last time I took it despite the constant runs .I'm going to give it two weeks ...if it hasn't improved by then it's going .I was feeling really well on the low carbs but i struggled the whole day yesterday after two days on it .[/QUOTE]

I would say you're right to try a little longer, then maybe a call to your Doc about trimming the dose back to see if that suits for a while? Are you taking 2 x 500mg or 1 x 1000mg? Apparently the SR meds shouldn't be chopped in two as that negates their SR benefits.

The great news is, though, that you seem very committed to making a difference, the "how" is almost fine tuning if you can't get your head around the "why". But you're beyond that.

Reactions: 3 people

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
It took me six months to feel well on Metformin SR,Im fine now but I do get hot sweats at times.

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It took me six months to feel well on Metformin SR,Im fine now but I do get hot sweats at times.

Thanks Patricia :) I was on it for quite a while after diagnosis but didn't notice the hot sweats then(put it down to maybe starting the menopause ) .It's only the fact I've been off it for a few months and then suddenly the sweats started up again straight away with taking the first tablet after nothing for months that led me to realize it was the metformin.I'll persevere a bit longer but if it comes close to ruining my determination to lose weight and makes me feel ill again it will have to go :)

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Hi I am only on 500mg,I stopped and started the first 6 months due to feeling realy sick and I was on holiday.
try to keep on them as they have a lot of beifits for your liver.
All the best x

Goslclive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all. I'm new to this site and am not a doctor but have been type 2 for 7 years and prone to all of the side effects medication can offer. 'Head Sweats' are something I suffer from and my research suggests a condition called Hyperhidrosis can be linked to Metformin use - might be worth mentioning this to the doc when you see them!

I've also recently been advised by my doc following my annual checkup that my B12 levels are too low and this in turn gives a whole wealth of discomfort including sweats, shortness of breath, fatigue, vision issues etc - this shortage is directly related to Metformin and affects 30% of users of Metformin. It may be the most diagnosed tablet but I'm on my way to the docs on Monday to have Metformin replaced, most likely with Sitagliptin, a new drug that sits between tablets and injections that has a side effect (one I HOPE I get) of aiding weight reduction. Symptoms B12 deficiency are extremely uncomfortable and they've only been testing during a blood test for the last two years - they do get the feedback from blood test so ask ifthey don't tell you!

Reactions: 2 people

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
Hi all :)

Been off Metformin for over three months due to it giving me diarrhoea constantly .Having tried a couple of other drugs my doc has asked me to give it another try since my bg is 16+ .
Took a tablet 1000mg earlier and I'm having constant hot flushes .I might have put it down to age but since being off it I've never suffered with them .Has anyone else had this reaction ?? I'm just constantly glowing and breaking out in a hot sweat for five minutes or more .:confused:
I'm only on 500's and right from the first dose I noticed getting sweaty; it lasts for about 2 hours after taking the tablet in my case. Thankfully only my forehead gets sweaty, so no need to change clothes frequently lol

Goslclive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm only on 500's and right from the first dose I noticed getting sweaty; it lasts for about 2 hours after taking the tablet in my case. Thankfully only my forehead gets sweaty, so no need to change clothes frequently lol

Hi. I've been on Metformin for 7 years and only now am I finding out the issues it causes. Yes, the loose tummy is a frequent visitor, as is nausea, red face and head sweats etc but I've just found out about it causing a vitamin B12 deficiency - 30% of type 2 sufferers develop B12 deficiency and this is much worse than the 'surface' normal issues this drug causes.

B12 deficiency gives rapid pulse, out of breath, sweats, loose tummy, sore tongue, tinnitus, tired, lack of energy, tiredness, anxiety, plus a whole load of other symptoms that make you feel like giving up. They've only recently started to look at B12 on the annual blood tests and a 'normal' person should have a reading of 450. My reading was 140 and I feel awful. Follow-up meeting with the doctor today where it's fully expected I'll be receiving two weeks of 3 jabs each week and then regular injections probably 6-8 weeks apart - all down to Metformin.

Todays docs visit I'll be asking to change to an oral tablet without these side effects (sipla something or other I've already found and is relatively new on the market). Metformin suits some people but be aware of the symptoms as 30% is a high number of affected people and until you know or have it confirmed, life is very uncomfortable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I've been on Metformin for 7 years and only now am I finding out the issues it causes. Yes, the loose tummy is a frequent visitor, as is nausea, red face and head sweats etc but I've just found out about it causing a vitamin B12 deficiency - 30% of type 2 sufferers develop B12 deficiency and this is much worse than the 'surface' normal issues this drug causes.

B12 deficiency gives rapid pulse, out of breath, sweats, loose tummy, sore tongue, tinnitus, tired, lack of energy, tiredness, anxiety, plus a whole load of other symptoms that make you feel like giving up. They've only recently started to look at B12 on the annual blood tests and a 'normal' person should have a reading of 450. My reading was 140 and I feel awful. Follow-up meeting with the doctor today where it's fully expected I'll be receiving two weeks of 3 jabs each week and then regular injections probably 6-8 weeks apart - all down to Metformin.

Todays docs visit I'll be asking to change to an oral tablet without these side effects (sipla something or other I've already found and is relatively new on the market). Metformin suits some people but be aware of the symptoms as 30% is a high number of affected people and until you know or have it confirmed, life is very uncomfortable.

Are we talking Sitagliptin Gosclive ? Just starting these this morning alongside my Metformin but i may take up the offer of insulin to get rid of the Metformin.I hate it .I shall ask my GP to test for the B12 :)