Can you recommend a LC scone recipe?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been looking on the internet, and most LC scone recipes are very American (flatish triangles :eek:)

I'm looking for something that looks like it is destined for strawberry jam and clotted cream... :wacky:

Thanks in advance!

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
For a scone, I'd be going for a mix of almond flour, and maybe chickpea, (bit of a flavour) or soya (little bit gritty) flour.
The cream would cut the chickpea flavour, and the jam would be a good counterpoint to the soya.
But I'd lean towards 50/50 almond/soya for the first batch.
Or just do a third of each.
You need baking powder.
And obviously a sweetener instead of the sugar.
I find I'm ok with plums, pitted and skinned, instead of jam.
Or even sliced strawberries, or other berries.
The fun of baking is messing up, but then knowing even though it's that bad, it's still better for you than Asda's.

Reactions: 6 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My OH's brother loves my cheese scones (not LC, unfortunately). Our currency for all manner of favours, like being picked up at the airport, is a huuuuge batch of cheese scones (some just cheese, some cheese with mustard and some cheese with caramelised onion), and a lemon drizzle cake.

I must say a cheese scone with cheese and some onion relish is a delicious light lunch. I may have to go experimental....

Reactions: 3 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Oh Ethyl, they are the bomb.

(We've been watching Breaking Bad on DVD, and I love that phrase. I also love that it is quoting a teenage meth dealer. :woot:)

I had to change the recipe, because I couldn't get coconut flour, so I subbed 3/4 almond flour and 1/4 desiccated coconut. But I stuck to the rest pretty closely.

They smelled like proper baking!
Mr B loves them.
We splurged and used proper strawberry jam and clotted cream, but no BG spike, and they actually felt like eating proper scones (heavyish and flattish) but proper!

I'm going to try another recipe next time, for comparison, but these have set the bar pretty high.

Reactions: 2 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

(We've been watching Breaking Bad on DVD, and I love that phrase. I also love that it is quoting a teenage meth dealer. :woot:)

I had to change the recipe, because I couldn't get coconut flour, so I subbed 3/4 almond flour and 1/4 desiccated coconut. But I stuck to the rest pretty closely.

Mr B loves them.
We splurged and used proper strawberry jam and clotted cream, but no BG spike, and they actually felt like eating proper scones (heavyish and flattish) but proper!

I'm going to try another recipe next time, for comparison, but these have set the bar pretty high.
They did look the part . Will make some myself I think as sometimes I just fancy something undiety but still low carb as a treat .

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Heavy and flat is either the baking powder was added too soon, and you knocked it back when you mixed it again, or it didn't get chance to react enough. Try adding it later in the mix, them letting it stand for longer on the tray.I find triall and error is my friend normally.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Mr B loves them.

Can you taste the flax seeds in the scones or is there so little you don't notice them?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can you taste the flax seeds in the scones or is there so little you don't notice them?

I couldn't taste them at all.

There's a point in the recipe where you let it 'rest' in the freezer.
I think they absorb enough liquid to soften.
I noticed one seed in my teeth, but that was one seed in 3 scones, so definitely not a problem. :happy:

Reactions: 2 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

I noticed one seed in my teeth, but that was one seed in 3 scones, so definitely not a problem. :happy:
Thank you, that's good to know :D

(I remember the girl who makes that recipe blog from when I first joined here. She was a forum member, but haven't seen her for months)

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other

I have noticed, since i gave up the doughnuts, seeds in every bl***y thing I eat.
Toothpicks are part of diabetes to me.