Hello

loobylou

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Everybody.

Although I have only just joined today, I've actually been reading all your interesting threads since January so I feel as if I know some of you already!!! .

Here's my story... well actually I am not diabetic but it's about my husband and his journey, which greatly affects me too of course!
My husband, 48 years old, was diagnosed with diabetes in January. He had been losing weight fast - he was slim to start with and had started to look gaunt. Friends of ours later admitted to being very worried about him. He had other strange symptoms too and so after a lot of nagging on my part, he went to his doc. A non fasting test was 24. A few days later fasting BG was 17. He was put on Metformin twice a day. Neither he nor I knew the first thing about diabetes, in fact we could never quite work out why some diabetics needed sugar or something sweet from time to time.... I mean, how did that work?!

After about one month his BG never went any lower than 15, despite him cutting out all sugary type foods. His eye sight worsened and he was dog tired and barely able to stay awake beyond about 8pm. He was referred to see the consultant who, on seeing his name, asked if he was Scandinavian, which he is. The Consultant was sure he was type 1 and not type 2. Apparently late onset type 1 in slim and otherwise healthy northern Europeans is quite common. He was told rather bluntly that he must go on to insulin and if he did not, he might be dead in 3 months!!! Straight talking fella he was! That same day, 1st March, he started injecting insulin - 8 units of Lantus each night. Slowly, slowly his BG came down. He had all the tests including the one which tells how much insulin he has of his own. Despite still having a 'significant reserve' of insulin, he was properly confirmed as type 1 in June. Consultant told him that eventually it will deplete but no idea how long it will take.

I must confess I was devastated and had a good cry but hubbie seemed to have taken it all in his stride, which is the kinda guy he is. He had an incredibly sweet tooth beforehand and had to give it all up. It became my mission to learn about this thing and I started reading your posts and all the interesting articles on the website. The biggest revelation has been learning about what carbs do to diabetics. One of the biggest issues for hubbie has been how to keep the weight ON whilst eating healthily and getting enough food so not to be hungry. He kinda follows the LCHF diet and this is helping keep his weight on. He takes cream in his coffee now, what a luxury eh! Every cloud as he says...

So last HB1ac was actually 44.. his other markers are all excellent. Fasting BG averages out at 6 or 7 and post prandial rarely goes beyond 9 or 10. Around 4pm he regularly gets a reading of 5.5 He has had 2 slight episodes of what he calls 'wobbly legs' but a few carbs and he is fine. He has another review in October.

We don't know what the future will bring but so far, it's not too bad. Thank you all for your interesting posts, words of wisdom and your humour. From great low carbs recipes, learning about the Dawn Phenomenon and getting book recommendations. Working my way through 'Think Like a Pancreas' just now!

As they say, every cloud..... with low carbing, eating more healthily and taking more exercise we are all a fitter family, kids included .

Reactions: 6 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello and welcome to the forum,, maybe your hubby could join up, he would be very welcome too. Best wishes RRB:)

loobylou

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi RRB, and thanks. He has signed up but has never posted... yet. He says if he has anything useful to say or needs to ask a question he will.

'Life is full of challenges, being happy shouldn't be one of them'.. this is very inspiring and that's what I like about this forum, to know that others are also dealing with similiar issues and coping...

loobylou

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks
Ah you remember that.... you must be of a certain age,,, same as me! :)

Reactions: 2 people

this is too difficult two

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Men
Hi RRB, and thanks. He has signed up but has never posted... yet. He says if he has anything useful to say or needs to ask a question he will.

'Life is full of challenges, being happy shouldn't be one of them'.. this is very inspiring and that's what I like about this forum, to know that others are also dealing with similiar issues and coping...
Men.

loobylou

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
I risk offending you as I dont know your gender, but suspect you are female? Yes men................ in fairness tho he can say in half a dozen words what it takes me to say in about 30 words! Women eh! Our brains are configured differently, we need to talk!

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
Hi and welcome to the family!

I know this must have been a really stressful time for you too, but it sounds like you have a wonderful attitude towards this. I do think the key to getting good control is to understand that knowledge is power...and these forums are full of useful information. You will probably have learnt by now that the healthcare teams you'll come across are a tad frustrating to deal with though - I'm told most people find a way to deal with that eventually but I'm still trying LOL.

loobylou

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there @Loobles, thanks, I agree. Knowledge is power and good control is key. I have become like a woman possessed trying to do what I can to make life easier for my hubbie and keep him healthy. We saw the dietician together very early on. I wanted to go along and see what she had to say, as I do most of the cooking at home. She told him to eat plenty of carbs to keep his weight on. He had at this point lost over 15 kg and looked dreadful so we did as we were told. Then I started reading up on things here, LCHF and changed things for the better. She did however, tell us to buy 'Carbs and Cals' which was good advice and has been a great wee book. Well done on your weight loss. That takes some doing and you must be feeling and looking good! :)

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
Hi there @Loobles, thanks, I agree. Knowledge is power and good control is key. I have become like a woman possessed trying to do what I can to make life easier for my hubbie and keep him healthy. We saw the dietician together very early on. I wanted to go along and see what she had to say, as I do most of the cooking at home. She told him to eat plenty of carbs to keep his weight on. He had at this point lost over 15 kg and looked dreadful so we did as we were told. Then I started reading up on things here, LCHF and changed things for the better. She did however, tell us to buy 'Carbs and Cals' which was good advice and has been a great wee book. Well done on your weight loss. That takes some doing and you must be feeling and looking good! :)
Ha! Well, I don't know about looking good, but I certainly feel much better. Still have a way to go yet, but I'll get there.

There are lots of ways to get calories without the carbs, but much of it takes planning. My dietician made some recommendations that were pretty easy to implement, such as:

Adding butter to veggies
Making salad dressings from olive oil
Eat more nuts - sprinkle them into yohurts with a small amount of fruit etc
Eat more avocados - they make a nice salad dressing when mixed with chili and some sour cream to make it more runny
Add sour cream or creme fraiche to things like soups, or pop a dollop on top of a curry or chilli etc
Use peanut butter and sour cream or creme frache to make a satay type sauce (it's pretty calorific) - nice with chicken and salad
Snack sized portions of cheese are good to nibble on between meals as they don't affect BG but will add calories

It just takes a bit of lateral thinking to get the calories in there. How much carb is he having? I'm supposed to aim for 100g a day but generally get 60-80g on average and feel pretty healthy on that. If I get bored, I up the carbs to 100g for a day or 2 to allow a few more carbs in there.

loobylou

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Well difficult to say how many carbs he's having but I'd imagine it's about 130g per day or so. He has cut right back on rice,pasta and now eats Hi Lo bread 5g per slice (got that tip from here!). He's hungry a lot of the time tho as he has always had a good appetite. Do you know how many carbs a man should eat who has diabetes? I suppose it's down to the individual? Thanks for tips for adding calories without carbs. Some good ideas there. I like the sound of peanut satay sauce with chicken,,, yum
Anyway, he's had a tooth out today .... ouch.. so feeling a bit sorry for himself :grumpy:

loobylou

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Well folks.... hubbie just got his Hba1C today. Last time it was 44. This time 41. How can he be diabetic type 1 and almost be in the non diabetic range?! There is nothing straight forward with this condition eh? Are there any other type 1s out there with that kind of reading?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I would be, but my consultants threaten my driving licence if I do. So I intentionally have to keep them higher.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Well folks.... hubbie just got his Hba1C today. Last time it was 44. This time 41. How can he be diabetic type 1 and almost be in the non diabetic range?! There is nothing straight forward with this condition eh? Are there any other type 1s out there with that kind of reading?
Getting blood glucose within the range of non-diabetics is the goal of diabetics. His results mean his diabetes is well controlled. Congratulations! :woot:

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Just by lowering my basal rates on the pump and doing so many blood tests to gain higher general levels. I have to guestimate largely as unfortunately my pump meter 90 day average will show me as 6.7 average (normally) but on this reading the blood from my arm can come in as low as 5.8 in old terms. My consultants hate me running that low because of my driving incident 4 years ago. They encourage me to keep higher levels on my pump and I do test a lot.