Blood sugar worries

Matilda14919

My blood sugar has been random for some time now and I'm following daphne to a tee - for example woke up with a blood sugar of 10.0 did a correction had breakfast @ 10:30 took my QA in my arm as I usually do 4 hrs after my sugar is 14.2 I'm seriously panicking and I'm scared of going back to my old habit of taking too much insulin please help taking more insulin now but now I'm scared to eat

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello matilda. Im just keeping your post recent until someone can help. Im not T1. :)

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The first rule (as you would have learnt on DAFNE) is start with your basal insulin, make sure this is right first before looking at your insulin-to-carb ratio's, to do this you will have to carry out some basal fasting checks.

Reactions: 3 people

Matilda14919

Didn't correct because I was panicking checked bg again it's now 8.9 I think my arms are now out of commission prob going to start injecting my butt again

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Remember you can also inject in your tummy, midriff and outer thighs.

Once you change your sites, if you still waken high, an increase in basal should be made. If pre breakfast is OK but you're high at lunch I'd bank on an increase in breakfast bolus being required because there's not a lot you can do with the basal at that time (unless you're on a pump).

Reactions: 3 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Didn't correct because I was panicking checked bg again it's now 8.9 I think my arms are now out of commission prob going to start injecting my butt again

You can get erratic bg control if you have injection site problems, often this is characterised by high postprandial bg readings followed by lower readings many hours after (due to the slow release of the insulin).

See if injecting in the stomach helps tomorrow, but just be aware that you may go low if you have been over-using your arms and been increasing your breakfast insulin dose lately.

Matilda14919

You can get erratic bg control if you have injection site problems, often this is characterised by high postprandial bg readings followed by lower readings many hours after (due to the slow release of the insulin).

See if injecting in the stomach helps tomorrow, but just be aware that you may go low if you have been over-using your arms and been increasing your breakfast insulin dose lately.

So went to bed last night bg was 5.9 had a biscuit before bed woke up 2am with a massive hypo sweating buckets and shaking like mad - so I think you are right this is a site problem - now I know I'm going to have a bad day all day coz when I go hypo in the morning it affects me all day-
is that weird?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
So went to bed last night bg was 5.9 had a biscuit before bed woke up 2am with a massive hypo sweating buckets and shaking like mad - so I think you are right this is a site problem - now I know I'm going to have a bad day all day coz when I go hypo in the morning it affects me all day-
is that weird?

At least you've found the problem Matilda.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi - are you coming down with anything, illness or tooth infection ?

Sometimes unexplained highs can happen as we're fighting bugs, best to be mindful of it but not panic too much ;)