My mums newly diagnosed

liz1942

Hi I'm just after a bit of help, my mum was diagnosed 3 weeks ago after having a nasty infection in her foot, after two amputation surgeries she is finally home from hospital, her glucose levels have been pretty high for some time the doctors told us and whilst in hospital they were in there 30s and late 20s since coming home her appetite has picked up and her levels are dropping steadily she is 71 years of age type 2 insulin dependant yesterday the diabetic nurse upped her dose by 4 units each injection and her sugars came down to 7.4 I also noticed she was very sweaty and disorientated for a while until she had something to eat. What I am wondering is could this of been a hypo? With her body being so used to high sugars and them dropping near normal would it of had this effect? Thank you in advance

forge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
Welcome @liz1942 you should be testing when anything like that happens you should contact your professional advisers and get instructions and a meter if you do not have one. Lows can be very dangerous. I always adjusted my own insulin levels, and I would recommend it but see what your advisers have to say first.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, hypos are possible at higher than expected sugar levels when your blood sugar has been running high. Sweating is one of my first hypo symptoms with disorientation starting. It sounds like your Mum may have been running high sugar for a long time? Does she keep an eye on the amount of carbs she eats? It is important to keep these quite low to aid low blood sugar and make up with protein, fat and veg instead.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Liz. Im sure you will get the help and information you need on the website as it is full of friendly people with excellent first hand knowledge. Your poor Mum has had a really rough time. I hope she is feeling tons better soon. :)

liz1942

Thanks all for your responses we are all new to this so every little bit of advice helps thank you! We haven't really been told a lot by the hospital as she is still being treated for the infection in her foot and on antibiotics for it they have said her sugars will remain high today's have been the best between 10 and 14 all day which for her is really good she has a follow up next week so hopefully it's good news i rely on her telling me how she feels as she keeps a lot of things in and suffers in silence that's how this has gone undetected for so long, just a shame it was too late to save her foot.

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, diabetes!
Hi I'm just after a bit of help, my mum was diagnosed 3 weeks ago after having a nasty infection in her foot, after two amputation surgeries she is finally home from hospital, her glucose levels have been pretty high for some time the doctors told us and whilst in hospital they were in there 30s and late 20s since coming home her appetite has picked up and her levels are dropping steadily she is 71 years of age type 2 insulin dependant yesterday the diabetic nurse upped her dose by 4 units each injection and her sugars came down to 7.4 I also noticed she was very sweaty and disorientated for a while until she had something to eat. What I am wondering is could this of been a hypo? With her body being so used to high sugars and them dropping near normal would it of had this effect? Thank you in advance

Sorry to hear your Mum has had such a tough time, are you ok? It affects you too.....

It is likely that your Mum experienced a 'false hypo', this is common when someone whose BG has been consistently high, suddenly has much lower BG. The good news is that this should soon pass and your Mum will feel much better.