Hello - Husband newly diagnosed

mandyell43

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, my other half was told he was Type 2 Diabetic yesterday. It didn't really come as that big a shock - he is 20 stone and is on medication for cholesterol and blood pressure but I am still panicking a bit.

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself and say hello. I hope to get plenty of advice from this site and these forums.

:)

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello and welcome to the forum, could your hubby like to join, as I'm sure he would find the forum very beneficial :)

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Hi, my other half was told he was Type 2 Diabetic yesterday. It didn't really come as that big a shock - he is 20 stone and is on medication for cholesterol and blood pressure but I am still panicking a bit.

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself and say hello. I hope to get plenty of advice from this site and these forums.

Hi Mandy you came to the right place.
Panic over it really isn't the end of any ones world as you'll discover.
Your other half may well end up on a diet like mine where I have fry ups for breakfast ... and lose weight ... seriously!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. Do ask any questions. You may already be aware that diet is the key to controlling diabetes T2. I suspect your husband's diet could be improved so do look at reducing carbs and portion sizes to help with both weight and blood sugar; exercise always helps. Do get hold of a glucose meter as it will guide your husband on what foods affect his blood sugar the most

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, and welcome.

It'll get better. I'll bet once he gets his blood glucose under control he'll feel better than he has for a while.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Mandy, as long as he starts to be careful with what he eats, loses some weight and increases his physical activity, he will see a great improvement.

I am still over 20 stones, still on BP and cholersterol pills and a host of others but I am back in the normal range and now very much more active and have lost a lot of weight. When I was diagnosed, I could hardly walk to the car in the car park. Now I go for long walks in the hills and ride a bike for a couple of hours at a time. I'm just getting used to cycling up hills. It's a real effort, but it slowly gets easier.

It does work and you do feel better. I also learned to cook and am eating better foods than I used to, tasty and quick but healthy and nutritious. I look forward to meals now.

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.

Welcome to the forums x

Is your hubby using a meter to check his blood? He may have to buy one and may even be told not to check, but many of us here find that checking helps us to know we're on the right track between GP's blood tests and it also helps us understands what foods make our blood glucose rise the most. By testing regularly, I now know that I can safely have 1 slice of seeded wholemeal bread, 1 small wrap or 100g potatoes at one meal, but I couldn't have even a small amount of white rice for example. Knowledge is power :)

If he's looking to buy a meter which has cheaper test strips, check out the SD Codefree on Amazon. Replacement strips are only 25% of the cost of my previous strips.

loobylou

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Mandy

My hubbie was diagnosed with type 1 in June so I know how you are feeling. I joined the forum this week too. So many encouraging people on here who can help and advice. Soak it up all, learn all you can about diabetes and be encouraging and supportive to your other half. Good luck x

this is too difficult two

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Mandy. Welcome to the forum.
There seem to be a lot of loving caring ladies here who have diabetic partners. Are there any men here who are non diabetic but here for a partner?

mandyell43

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your replies. It is heart warming to know there are others out there who know what we are going through and care enough to share.

We had a long chat last night and both feel a bit better about what lies ahead. :)

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We had a long chat last night and both feel a bit better about what lies ahead. :)

It is a blow to get such a diagnosis. I felt awful to begin with as it was at Christmas and I had recieved a lot of cooking equipment, recipe books and baking stuff and it seemed at first to be somehow rubbing salt into the wounds.

But I learned about foods, tested what worked and what did not work for me and adjusted the recipes accordingly. I still do it and last night went to bed with a 5.3 and woke up with a 5.2. At the time of diagnosis, those readings would have been in the 9s and 10s.

Tracieo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
HI and welcome, great site and very nice people waiting to help out with any questions.