New Major Study: A Low-Carb Diet Yet Again Best for Both Weight and Health Markers!

tonyS54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is it harmful to eat a low-carbohydrate diet for weight loss? Or is it even HEALTHIER than the current low-fat dietary advice?

A major new study published today further fuels the debate and has already made major headlines. In the study 148 people were told to eat either a low-carb diet (under 40 g of carbs per day) or a low-fat diet, for one year.

The results are similar to those in previous studies. Once again, those on a low-carb diet lost significantly more weight, in this case three times more:

Sk%C3%A4rmavbild-2014-09-02-kl.-08.01.14-800x261-650x212.png

Dashed line = the low-carb group

Those who ate a low-carbohydrate diet also lost more fat mass.

What will upset people the most is that the low-carb group also got better cholesterol levels than those in the low-fat group! As usual, they got more of the good HDL cholesterol, lower triglycerides and an improved cholesterol profile (total/HDL). As if this wasn’t enough, the fat eaters in the low-carb group received a significantly lower risk assessment for heart disease according to the 10-year Framingham risk score!

In addition, the low-carb group got significantly less inflammation in the body(measured as CRP).

Finally, conspiracy theorists don’t get any support that “the meat industry” is behind all studies showing that low-carb diets work best. This study was funded by American tax dollars (through the National Institutes of Health). None of the authors have any financial ties to the industry.

http://www.dietdoctor.com/new-major...rs?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
LCHF lowered my total and LDL cholesterol and triglyceride, but my HDL stayed the same. Only been on it for a couple of months, but it resulted in the best cholesterol numbers I've had in 20 years. I don't believe cholesterol levels have anything to do with heart disease, but maybe doctors will stop telling me I should take statins now. Interestingly, I didn't lose any weight, but my blood sugar numbers are, as expected, also much better.