My Low GI diet, counting the calories, and surviving with carbs

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I went to see my Auntie today, so that's relative, right? Where's that Prozac?

Reactions: 4 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
no you misunderstood my question, why you post i assume is because it helps you or others, thats fine its not my business what motivates your posts and i choose to read or not i know all that, i am a massive advocate of self testing, i think it good you test, especially with the foods you eat id say its essential so you will know what damage your potentially doing, my question was if badly put, you keep mentioning that your not letting what you eat run, rule, ruin your life, this is where my confusion lies, what does that mean? i ask because youve said it often

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
this was not a criticism of your blog or tht you test or what you eat and i havent suggested you shouldnt be posting it, and i know you wouldnt care if i did, it just seems to me that you eat the way you eat because your attempting to live without letting diabetes run your life, am i right? if so how do you mean? in the sense of how does your style of control aid your normal way of life any more than anyone elses choice of control? and would you say its an easier way to control it rather than choosing a different path?

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
so you eat the "unhealthy" foods because you have no choice? if you want to pursue your chosen sport? and therefore presumably be happier in life?

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
and given the choice you would not eat like that?

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
so would you say the food your eating is justifiably unhealthy as you have chosen to do a sport that means you dont have access to a healthy choice?, or would you say things likes chips and doughnuts are not unhealthy at all as long as you keep the portions small?

Reactions: 2 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
so there is nothing you would consider unhealthy as long as its in small portions, but if you had a choice you would not eat it? so if for example i was new to diabetes and was reading your blog, what message should i gain from it in summary?

that i could eat anything i like as long as its a small portions?
that i could eat anything i like as long as i exercise alot?
that i should not eat this way if newly diagnosed and until i have very good control?
no food including doughnuts and pot noodles is off limits as long as its because i dont want my life spoilt by a restrictive diet?
eat to your meter? (in which case, what would you say is a good method of controlling high bgs for a newly diagnosed diabetic t2? although i know one size does not fit all, if they were here in a state of terror as was desperate for advice or a clue as to how to eat/behave)

i could go on but i wonder if you could share what you would like a newly diagnosed person to get from the blog?

or is this not advice in anyway and they should not eat the way you do? and would you go as far as to say this would be a very unadvisable way of eating if they were newly diagnosed?

i ask because its likely that newly diagnosed will be reading it and i wonder firstly what they would think and secondly what you would like them to think?

Reactions: 3 people
K

Kat100

New or not , I wonder what makes it appear so,difficult to share individual blogs...

I find individual blogs Interesting ....

Some threads for example have in the past been closed with some members saying they are leaving , what did new people or more experienced posters think then ...not always about food either ...

Let's all respect the fact that this site is for everyone all being used at different times for different needs ....

Reactions: 4 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
excuse me kat but douglas has said "As to why I post, I post so others can have an opinion of my posts." i am just having a chat here, what are you defending him for?

am i being disrespectful?

i am not criticising hes blog, im asking a question of him and for hes opinion

i have already stated i find his blog interesting

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
I would think if I was newly diagnosed, I would like to know the diagnosis wasn't the end of everything.
I would like to know there was a light at the end of the tunnel.
I would like to know, from someone that was 'not new to diabetes' (as per the first post) that diabetes can actually improve what you can do, not restrict it.
I would like to know instead of possibly dying from a heart attack due to being overweight, and unhealthy, you can see the bottom of the sea, and enjoy a sport you only ever dreamed of.
I would like to know I could be spontaneous, and still have good levels, and reduce my meds.
I would also like to know LC means I have difficulty eating carbs in future.
I would like to think the newly diagnosed will become the old hands, and choose a lifestyle that suits them, and feels that they can share with others.
I like to know I was an individual, and that the path I choose is my own, and works for me, based on my mix, not someone else's.

If I was newly diagnosed, I'd like all the facts, and then I'd like to make my own choice, and have others respect it, as it works for me.

i understand the sentiments and agree with most of them, but what would you think a newly diagnosed person would take away from reading it?

K

Kat100

excuse me kat but douglas has said "As to why I post, I post so others can have an opinion of my posts." i am just having a chat here, what are you defending him for?

am i being disrespectful?

i am not criticising hes blog, im asking a question of him and for hes opinion

i have already stated i find his blog interesting
It's a great chat ....
But I do get concerned that the thread will get closed again ...

Reactions: 2 people
K

Kat100

I would not lower myself to fight
This is an open thread
Which I am also,reading with interest ...

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
New or not , I wonder what makes it appear so,difficult to share individual blogs...

I find individual blogs Interesting ....

Some threads for example have in the past been closed with some members saying they are leaving , what did new people or more experienced posters think then ...not always about food either ...

Let's all respect the fact that this site is for everyone all being used at different times for different needs ....

so this wasnt directed at me? this i misunderstood to mean i ws making it difficult to share his blog, and i was risking getting his blog closed? and i was being disrespectful and suggesting the site wasnt for everyone? i do appologise i got that wrong

K

Kat100

so this wasnt directed at me? this i misunderstood to mean i ws making it difficult to share his blog, and i was risking getting his blog closed? and i was being disrespectful and suggesting the site wasnt for everyone? i do appologise i got that wrong
No need to apologise ...

K

Kat100

Only guessing but every one must have a unique story to tell , either now or at sometime later ....
It takes a lot of energy to,open up,and share ...
I feel that individual,stories make this awful illness real , in fact it adds a bit of real life ....sometimes when reading we are just left guessing ...
Seeing how individuals cope I believe is very humbling ....not every person would be so open ....

Reactions: 6 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
That their own way in the best way for them.

And that they need to consider what they want from their life.
And as part of the answer, the question has to be,

would you eat as you used to?
would you rather not have been diagnosed diabetic?

If you can honestly answer yes, I would say you need to consider your choices since diagnosis.

I can honestly answer no.
I wouldn't go back to eating as I used to.
I was diagnosed diabetic.
My life improved.
I lost weight.
I became fitter.
I invested heavily in me, I exercised, I dieted, (and yes, it was hard)
But I learned.
No pain, no gain, is always true.
I learnt there was no quick fix.
I'm healthier.
I do a lot more than I used to.
I (hopefully) won't die of a heart attack or stroke.
I have a full dive medical annually, so I'm certified healthy.
So,
I hope newly diagnosed read this, and realise I got me into this, but I got me out as well, and came out better.

Diabetes is different for everyone, I've been honest, over who I am, and what I've done, and that's all I can do.

their own way? theyve just been diagnosed! they dont have an own way

yes i can honestly say yes id rather not have diabetes and 10 times the chance of a heart attack, the risk of complications in general.

if i had not been diagnosed, i would be alot heavier, eating all the wrong things, and be much less fit, so i would agree it has in many ways improved my life, best of all is the way i eat, its amazing, the benefits of being diagnosed are too numerous to mention but would i choose to have not been diagnosed with the disease that killed my old man? yes

hyperphetically i would choose to have found this diet before diagnosis and improved my health without the DB but cant turn back the clock so heyho on that one

i would like newly diagnosed to come to this site and get info on how to help fix themselves, an idea of how they should eat to control their bgs in the beginning, the long term diagnosed dont need advice on this stuff,

i do however worry they will get the idea that its ok to eat doughnuts etc so its good that we can have this chat so they understand its only ok to do so when they have had db a while and have made big changes in their lifestyles, lost weight if needed and are taking regular exercise if possible, everything you have done is admirable and im sure an inspiration to us all, its great your able to tolerate these foods im very pleased for you, and one day if they choose your path, thats cool too,

but for now i think its awesome that youve made it clear that you wouldnt eat the unhealthy foods like doughnuts and pot noodles etc if you had a choice

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
so in conclusion and if any newbies watching this great and interesting thread, once youve lost 6 stone, gained excellent control of bgs, do vigorous exercise regularly, monitor bg closely before and after meals, and you go deep see diving... if they dont push your numbers up.....its ok to eat carbs!

;)

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
That's where we will always differ.
You think of them as your children and they need to be led, and you believe that, so you feel you need to tell them to follow your way.
I think of them as adults, so I feel the need to help them find their own way.

lol nooooo, i think of all newly diagnosed as me, 2 years ago, i was an adult and i needed good sensible advice on how to keep myself alive because everything id ever been told was wrong

Reactions: 5 people