11 Years Type 1 Diabetic, 2 Years Type 2

Guyver99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Evening Everyone,

I've never been here before but the link popped up on Facebook. I've been diabetic since I was 26. I'm 40 now and doing good, so I am told. I spent 11 years on Insulin and Metformin as Type 1. I'm only 5'7" and was 16 1/2 stone and never lost any weight. In the last 2 years I had a Mody (think that's spelt correctly) test to see if I have the same gene as my Dad who is a type 2 diabetic from the age of 26 as well. I didn't but I was told my pancreas is producing insulin. So being now classed as a Type 2 I was put on Victoza and I have lost 2 stone. I feel great. My HBA1C has been lowered and everything 13 years on I have no complications.

Thanks,

Lee

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. Good to hear that you are now in a good place. I'm surprised at some of the people who come to the forum as greatly overweight T2s and who have been put onto insulin. With some exceptions it's possibly not the optimum approach and as you have found weight reduction is a high priority and then you can see the wood from the trees.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
A warm welcome to the forum Lee :)

Richard157

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Rude members who tend to chase others away, trolls who pretend to be something they are not.
Hello Lee! I was type 1 for 62 years with no insulin production. When I started using human insulins I gained weight, and started using type 2 meds along with my insulin. I was diagnosed with insulin resistance. Like you, I used Metformin. I lost the weight and no longer need type 2 meds. Type 1 for a total of 68 years now.

Are you still using insulin? If so, how many units each day? Maybe you are using Metformin, exercising, and carefully choosing low carb foods...and not using insulin.