Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Thank you will check that out ....

C

chris lowe

Have discovered oasis sugar free mini squashes that are handbag size. In a pub, I order soda water and put a squirt of oasis in (raspberry lemonade a current favourite) and bingo I got me a drink that I quite enjoy. As to the pimms dilemma- not sure what to do about that- maybe hassle oasis to bring out a lemonade flavour? Bit frustrating that pubs don't do diet lemonade. I'd love a pimms and not sure what ghis tastes like with soda water instead. Might attempt..
I use the Robinsons Squashed which is similar to Oasis. It's a handy size to keep in a handbag.

C

chris lowe

And another thing that annoys me is when I get give full fat coke when I've asked for diet. Had an argument at the O2 once when the barperson gave me full fat and instisted it was diet. I told her that was fine, but could she arrange an ambulance to attend in about an hour as I would need to go to hospital and then I would sue the company. Got my diet coke after that.

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
And another thing that annoys me is when I get give full fat coke when I've asked for diet. Had an argument at the O2 once when the barperson gave me full fat and instisted it was diet. I told her that was fine, but could she arrange an ambulance to attend in about an hour as I would need to go to hospital and then I would sue the company. Got my diet coke after that.

So annoying and this comes up for discussion on the forum a lot, it's best never to trust those pump dispensers and ask for your drink in a can or bottle where it's marked diet or sugar-free.

dale1958

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
vegetables
I happen to know my local landlord pretty well (from the days when I used to drink a bit more) and i challenged him to swap on a trial basis from full sugar schweppes to diet and bet him that nobody would notice the difference he had one or two comments only and told the customers that he was only thinking of their health, now he stocks mainly diet with a small amount of full sugar for the awkward people why not try it it worked for me

bobandpat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My problem isn't the diet drink (I just ask for tap water if there isn't any that I like), it's the coke itself. Any sort of coke.

I used to work in a lab that tested food additives and you wouldn't believe what goes into both coke and pepsi. Have you never cleaned a bath with coke, that should give you an idea of what goes into it. :eek:

My daughters weren't allowed either until they were old enough to decide for themselves. One still won't drink them and doesn't allow her own children to either, the other does occasionally but did the same as me with her kids.

Reactions: 7 people

malky39

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I happen to know my local landlord pretty well (from the days when I used to drink a bit more) and i challenged him to swap on a trial basis from full sugar schweppes to diet and bet him that nobody would notice the difference he had one or two comments only and told the customers that he was only thinking of their health, now he stocks mainly diet with a small amount of full sugar for the awkward people why not try it it worked for me
As much as i have said this to many people as a good idea could you imagine the back lash if someone who oreded regular drink was alergic to the sweeteners in the diet version.

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, diabetes!

I sent a 'diet' coke back to the bar 3 times in a hotel I was staying in, the barman even showed me the button he was pressing and it did indeed say 'diet' on it. When he eventually went to check in the cellar he came back quite ashen faced; the wrong box had been connected up to the pump and he'd been serving me ordinary coke. No sh!t Sherlock.........

Reactions: 5 people

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
My problem isn't the diet drink (I just ask for tap water if there isn't any that I like), it's the coke itself. Any sort of coke.

I used to work in a lab that tested food additives and you wouldn't believe what goes into both coke and pepsi. Have you never cleaned a bath with coke, that should give you an idea of what goes into it. :eek:

My daughters weren't allowed either until they were old enough to decide for themselves. One still won't drink them and doesn't allow her own children to either, the other does occasionally but did the same as me with her kids.

I drink Diet pepsi but am interested to know exactly what goes into it and if it is not suitable for diabetec's to drink?

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I know Pepsi max is zero carbs and zero sugar. As for the contents that's another debate

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, diabetes!

I absolutely understand where you're coming from, my Mum worked in a pork pie factory many years ago and simply will not eat them. If you don't mind me asking, what is so bad in the ingredients of (diet) Coke or Pepsi? As far as I can see it's just a drink....

Dyadya_Maykl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Intolerance.
My wife used to work as a Sign Language interpreter in California, and worked freelance - often employed by the government. One of the jobs she did was with the Park Rangers, and she told me about a interesting session that she worked at. The lecturer told the audience about a serious chemical alert on the N1 - major arterial road from SFO south to LA. A large plastic carboy containing a liquid had fallen off a lorry. The liquid was reacting with the road surface, and the road was closed. There was immediate emergency procedures put in place. The lorry was traced, and stopped. It was carrying a consignment of ingredients for Coca Cola. The carboy that closed the road contained phosphoric acid. OK this would be diluted in the manufacture, but it is a very unpleasant corrosive chemical. The reputed properties of Coca Cola regarding the dissolving of teeth, and as a cleaning agent are attributable to this ingredient.

Reactions: 6 people

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
wow and you would think this sort of ingrediant would be put on the containers or not?

bobandpat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I absolutely understand where you're coming from, my Mum worked in a pork pie factory many years ago and simply will not eat them. If you don't mind me asking, what is so bad in the ingredients of (diet) Coke or Pepsi? As far as I can see it's just a drink....

semiphonic see Dyadya_Maykl's reply. Plus the dyes used are total c**p. Can't remember their names now, it was such a long time ago, but I know I don't like the idea of colouring my insides the same way my labcoat coloured when testing. :eek:

Andy_D85

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My local harvester has a drinks machine that gives you 100+ different flavour options, you just pick what you want, there's diet versions of virtually everything, but what really impressed me was it stocks Pepsi Max, with additional flavours (Vanilla, Lime, Cherry etc). Vanilla Pepsi Max has to be my new favourite drink...given I have what can only be described as a proper addiction to Pepsi Max in general this is saying something!

Would love to see more of these machines appearing in restaurants, the only other place I've seen them was in a place called Five Guys Burgers in Glasgow, but to me they're the way forward :)

Reactions: 2 people

rowan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Diet 7up is becoming more popular. If I can't get it then soda water and lime is good.

Got quite excited reading that, I used to love 7Up! But just seen it has aspartame in, so definitely a no-go! :(

Andy_D85

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I drink stupidly hight amounts of Pepsi Max, we're talking multiple litres per day...once upon a time, a dietician gave me a very solid lecture about my beverage choice and suggested tea and coffee, both things I cannot stand the taste of...she then moved on to flavoured water, advising me how this would be much better for me, in general, and how my continued drinking of pepsi max, with the devilish aspartame in it would cause me to get cancer and all sorts of other ailments. To say we agreed to disagree would be painting a very rosy picture of how that conversation ended.

About 6 months later, I was reading a newspaper in work, which was talking about aspartame and other sweeteners, and their health impacts, which contained a picture of the same bottle of water she'd tried to convince me to drink, with a scientist quote beside it, saying this particular brand should be avoided like the plague as the combination of ingredients in it had been linked to a spate of people in the states developing chronic migraines.

I'm sure there will be things about aspartame that make it bad, same as any chemical additives, but if by itself, it was enough a singular component to make someone sick, I'd be patient 0 based on nothing other than the exposure levels I have to it - I don't just poke the lion with a stick when it comes to this stuff, I roll myself in eau du zebra and put my head right inside the lions mouth. And oddly enough virtually the only health problems I *DON'T* have are the ones linked to consuming aspartame lol =)

Reactions: 4 people

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In most restaurants I have to suffer through drinking diet coke, it's the only diet variety I really dislike. Although in harvester and Frankie n Benny's I can have Pepsi Max :)