Head in the Sand Syndrome

donnad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Donna - I hadn't read your post until just now, then of course I have the benefit of also seeing your response.

As @sanguine pointed out, you signposted the need for "a good kick up the bum", so I'm wondering what sort of responses you expected, or at least would like to have seen? That's not a criticism, just trying to understand what you wanted to see if there is a better way the forum can move forward.

I don't know what I expected but I am so depressed and desparate I thought I could reach out. I do want help and to be told "why should we help someone who can't be bothered" just don't know what to say!!

donnad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sorry ... I'm not made of the right stuff to be a counsellor I'm afraid ... the Samaritans would never employ me either.
I hope you can accept my apology.
Great place this and many will be able to help I'm sure.

thanks. I am sure it is a great place, just a bit lost and overwhelmed with all the information. I really really want to get well..

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
thanks. I am sure it is a great place, just a bit lost and overwhelmed with all the information. I really really want to get well..
I arrived a couple of months back with the knowledge my surgery had given me ... almost zero knowledge.
They did give me a meter and strips though.
That showed very high bloods almost all the time and their advice was useless to be honest.
I then discovered this place and my weight is going down my bloods are coming under control more and I'm feeling so much better.
Please stick with this place there's nowhere else like it as far as I know and the mine of information knowledge and experience is avaiable twenty four seven.

Reactions: 3 people

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Donna. I totaly agree with Jacks post. I was diagnosed about 6 weeks ago. I was given little information and knew very little. A friend recommended this website ad I am so pleased tat she did. I have started a lw carb high fat diet, monitor my food and exercise on myfitnesspal and am so much more aware of the implications of diabetes. I havent had a repeat blood test yet so dont know what effect I have had but I have lost weight. I hope you too will use the information to help you overcome your depression. :)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know what I expected but I am so depressed and desparate I thought I could reach out. I do want help and to be told "why should we help someone who can't be bothered" just don't know what to say!!

Thanks for that Donna.

I think with a condition, such as diabetes, it's very natural, sooner or later, to feel a bit bewildered and lost. I am normally a very measured, practical and pragmatic individual, but even I found my head was a snow storm. That's how I describe that feeling when there are so many thoughts flying around, you can't identify what any of them are, so it becomes like a snow storm. It metaphorically blinds you. At that point I gave myself a decent talking to an told myself to" think more slowly, and breathe"; hence my nickname. In some ways, I think you have to do something similar. Think carefully, and breathe. You need to re-boot your brain. Draw a line under the past and open your mind to the future. The past didn't bring you to a (mental) place you like, so you're right, it's time to try something different.

This site is a source of the most amazing quality and quantity of information, and you can learn as much, or as little detail as you feel comfortable with. I don't know what your approach to your diet and exercise has been in the past, or whether you take any medication, but if you do a bit of reading around, and ask questions, you will get the support you need, even if at times the reality of what you are learning is uncomfortable.

Diabetes isn't an easy thing. If it was a dawdle, there wouldn't be sites like this, and you wouldn't feel as you do. It's frustrating and tricky, so you do need to clear your head to move forward.

I hope you can find a way forward, and find some posters with whom you feel a certain amount of commonality. That helps reduce the feelings of isolation.

Look after yourself.

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think every single post in this thread has been extremely helpful.
The kicks up the bum probably more so than the hand holding.

I can remember the first time I read a thread where someone suggested googling 'diabetic amputations'.
Can't get much more motivational than that.
And my goodness, it worked.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi @donnad and welcome to the forum. I have just read your thread and I understand the responses your got; from the motivational pushes to the apologies. Many of us needed that motivation. I remember when I was diagnosed I was in a real panic and decided that the only thing I could eat was protein (for about 3 days) because carbs raise my blood glucose and "it is unheathy" to eat fat (crock)

You are probably feeling depressed because you are going to have to re-think the rest of your life just like we all have. I was 49 and thought OMG am I even going to make it to get the money out of my pension that I have been saving for! What a life changer this diagnosis has been. From that point I decided I had to change and so I did.

Guess what, that depression is just natural when we realise we aren't indestructible any more.

Why not tell us a little about your diagnosis, diet, life style and we will be able to help you get control of your diabetes. BTW fear is a great motivator so use it for good.

Reactions: 5 people

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
I do want help and to be told "why should we help someone who can't be bothered" just don't know what to say!!

Hi Donnad,

I'm glad you posted again; these are the first steps. I think you are talking about my post; but that's not what I was saying.

I said if you don't want help then it's hard to be bothered to try to offer that help. You had asked for replies and had got some incredibly supportive responses but had said "I did think that this forum was a place for encouragement and help not people barrating me..."

But all that is beside the point; you are still here and still getting to grips with being in the club that none of its members wanted to join.

Like I said this is all good and this is a start; have a read of the low-carb success stories, ask questions and don't despair - it's not all bad.

Take people up on their offers of help and in the wise words of AndBreath; breath.

Best

Dillinger

Reactions: 2 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have been diagnosed as Type 2 for a couple of years. I was very good at the beginning but now I just seem to be pretending that its not me who has the diabetes. I have a bit of nerve damage in my foot but this does not seem to spur me on to behave. I have always been a bit confused about what to eat and have seen a dietician a couple fo times. I sometimes dont even test for a week or so at a time. I know I need to give myself a good kick up the bum but just do not have the energy or inclination to do so. Very down and don't know what to do now to turn this around.

Do the simple things first.
Avoid white flour, sugar, anything sweet. See if you can re-educate your tastes.
It takes time, but it's achievable.
One step at a time.

Anie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you really are truly depressed, please go and see your GP. Depression can be part of diabetes and you may need something to help you. Stick around, this forum has some really good advice and help and people do want to help others (even though we all might not see eye to eye all the time.)

Faraday

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone, have been diagnosed with type 2 some 4 years ago, and I guess I am the person that this thread was intended for, have had my head in the sand since then, we all believe we are invincible but unfortunately we are not, so having had a chat today with a good friend who is on insulin, he persuaded me to get the BS tester out again (which I haven't used for about a year as my nurse said it's a waste of time using that) and having seen the result this afternoon, called my friend who was shocked and quite worried.
Think that might have at last shocked me to get my head out of the sand, but as we all know, that takes effort, so I suppose it's time to start.
For ages (about 12 months) I have been feeling lethargic, lost the will to do anything, fell into a mega depression, didn't understand why, but having read these posts today, realise this is to do with my blood sugars. (It might sound ridiculous that I hadn't worked that out, but like I said, my head has been in the sand lol).
To Donnad, don't be disheartened by the responses you got on here today, they all mean well I am sure, but sometimes in life, we all need a kick up the backside to get us to wake up.
Got my annual review blood test tomorrow, and know full well that the docs will be calling for an appointment a few days later, so need to get my head around this and start to behave! lol.
Looking forward to re visiting this forum for some tips in the near future, good luck to you all and will update results soon, in the hope that others who have been where I am, will pass on some helpful tips and advice.
Having read this forum tonight it has already given me a wake up call.
Many thanks to you all.

Reactions: 7 people

angelicbaby

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think every single post in this thread has been extremely helpful.
The kicks up the bum probably more so than the hand holding.

I can remember the first time I read a thread where someone suggested googling 'diabetic amputations'.
Can't get much more motivational than that.
And my goodness, it worked.
I remember that one too :wideyed:. "Picture for the fridge". hahahaha. I think it was one of the first threads I read here but God did it help me get my a*se in gear.:D:D:D:D.

Donna. You say in your first post that you were able to control your diabetes for a couple of years? What changed? Logic says that if you did it once, you can do it again. Don't you think?

K

Kat100

How depressed are you , do,you need urgent health care , know one here can give you individual health advice ...
You may need to talk to,some one on a one to one bases...
I have just been reading a thread on diabetic burnout , and people there have found it useful to chat in the environment that encourages that..
This site can offer lots of support , choice who,you feel,comfortable talking to , or you may feel overwhelmed at the moment
Keep,posting though ...take care ,,Kat

Reactions: 2 people

Faraday

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, well, it has been just over a month now since I posted on this brilliant thread, in response to Donnad and it really has given me a kick start. Not only were my blood sugars sky high, I was drinking red wine every night to make it go away, but obviously it didn't.
Have been put on Metformin a week ago, and have stopped all wine, have lost 8lbs since 25th September, bloods are half what they were but not right yet, and feel so much happier that I'm heading in the right direction. Am eating much healthier foods and managing my portion control as well, having had it explained really well by my diabetes nurse at the GP surgery. (Just got to kick the cigarettes as well and maybe I may get to reach a ripe old age.)
Many thanks for all of the people who have posted on here, a kick up the ar*e is just what I needed.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done just stay doing what you are doing:woot:
CAROL

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
That's great Faraday, well done :)

A shame that Donnad disappeared - unless he/she is just viewing without signing in.