Would you want to go back to eating the way you used to?

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
I think if we're going to keep this lifestyle change going in the long term, we do need to be able to have the occasional foody treat. I am treating myself once a week to something more carby or even a little sugar - but it's literally once a week and in a vastly reduced portion size. I'm conscious that if I put it off limits forever, I'll just want it more.

Reactions: 3 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
I have gone back, but to a very limited degree.

I made a definite switch from sweet to spicy food, and ate to my meter. This has got me to where I want to be.

But I don't want to keep losing weight.

I don't want high BS.

I don't want to be a slave to diet though, that's as restrictive to me as the diabetes is.

So I do eat Gregg’s steak bakes, just occasionally though, not as a snack before a box of doughnuts from the same shop. (They've gone entirely, I'm completely lost my taste for sugary treats).

Salads are still on my menu, rather than pasta.

I like green veg, not roast spuds.

I'll have a fried breakfast, very occasionally, not daily. (And I'll still have a slice of toast with it, not buttered though)

So, I have in some ways gone back in a token way to my previous diet, vastly reduced amounts though, and a different mix.

I also know if I decide to let it go a bit more, I can make it back later. (Post-holiday diet now, to lose a few pounds, and get the cholesterol down again) So, I think my diet now reflects my lifestyle, and it's both of them that are better.
Yay! Haven't seen you around for ages! How are you? Still low GI? Good to see you posting - unless I've missed all your posts!

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I think if we're going to keep this lifestyle change going in the long term, we do need to be able to have the occasional foody treat. I am treating myself once a week to something more carby or even a little sugar - but it's literally once a week and in a vastly reduced portion size. I'm conscious that if I put it off limits forever, I'll just want it more.
Same view! I have 2 squares of dark choccie most evenings unless I have LCHF ice cream or choc mug cake. I have LCHF dessert once or twice a week. This week I had wine most nights (just a glass but I usually only have 2-3 per week), 2 small handfuls of crisps and a piece of cake. I was at my mums. Now back to normal. That was my blow out!

Reactions: 3 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yay! Haven't seen you around for ages! How are you? Still low GI? Good to see you posting - unless I've missed all your posts!

Still low GI, well on top of the diabetes, and chilling out with my completely changed lifestyle. Thanks for the welcome back. :)

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Still low GI, well on top of the diabetes, and chilling out with my completely changed lifestyle. Thanks for the welcome back. :)
Now down to 13 st 3 and still LCHF. Bs halved and last hba1c was 36-37 can't remember which - lol!

Reactions: 4 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Now down to 13 st 3 and still LCHF. Bs halved and last hba1c was 36-37 can't remember which - lol!
That's a good result! I 'm old school, and have been consistently 5.3/5.4, whicjh I believe is 34 to 36, so we're both there by different paths.
Keep it up, it's all going to be good.

Reactions: 2 people

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, diabetes!
About a million years ago when I was a kiddy, I remember going shopping with my Gran on Friday mornings during the school holidays. We used to go to Sainsbury, Macfisheries, The Copper Kettle (for a cake and a drink) and a lot of the shops in Lion Yard (we lived in Cambridge). My Gran smoked heavily and used to carry around a small ashtray, every shop we went into she would smoke in, this was perfectly legal and acceptable at the time.
My (rather obtuse!) point is, just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD do something, so no, I wouldn't go back to my old eating habits.....

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I wouldn't go back if I could. I enjoy the way I eat now much more. Trying to follow a low fat high carb diet was horrible.

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I would NEVER go back to the old way ie high carb low fat. I am slimmer ,fitter and feeling very very well. What is there not to like with the LCHF way of eating.?
Just one regret, that I did not eat this way decades ago.

Reactions: 7 people

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't thing I will ever go back to eating how I used to in the old days before i found this site and the key to success. There are something's that I still miss, like cake and chips. That said I have found that I don't crave them, or any sweet things anymore. I was amazed to discover that I haven't bought chocolate of any kind since October last year....I thought I would never be able to give it up, shows you how wrong you can be. Cake can be an occasional treat and chips don't taste like they used to... Other than that I love my new way of eating...

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've only been low-carbing a couple of weeks but I already know I miss pasta, potatoes, rice and bread :(

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I'm doing fine on the LCHF lifestyle but ... I would love to be able to turn the clock back and never even think about diet and control and health .
I never had a sweet tooth.
I never pigged out.
Crisps and chocolate and sweets were never a big part of my life .... in fact they were never really a part of my life.
Fizzy drinks? Maybe two litres of pop a year.
For twenty years I was fourteen stone ... very slim and fit and healthy at just under six foot three.
Then I started with spinal problems .... just kept on going and didn't take any pain killers stronger than codeine.
Then I got to a point where I couldn't remain active.
Was prescribed Gabapentin and within a matter of weeks shot to eighteen stone.
Eighteen stone and inactive for two years and then I caught diabetes off a toilet seat .... of course I'd love to go back to chip butties beans on toast lots of pasta and mashed spuds and and and .....

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Miss pasta and sourdough ....a LOT ..... and Guinness :(

Would I go back? Yep, for sure. Will I? Not on your sweet Nellie

Andy Aero

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I witnessed a friend eating a breakfast bap at work that I used to eat. A large white floured bap, 3 sausages and a hash brown with red sauce. I used to love them as a treat on a friday at work but couldnt even stand to watch him eat it, it looked horrible!

That may be because im on Viktoza though, I struggle to have an appetite at all at the moment.

bluejeans98

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I didn't eat to badly to start off with. It was all the alcohol. Now I have adopted the LCHF lifestyle I can honestly say I get the odd pang for a bit of sweeter chocolate and if I do I will have a nibble. But processed foods and loads of lagers are history.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Some days I'd love to go back - the spontaneity of just grabbing a take away or eating out on a day out ; a whole packet of crisps or a mini pork pie. Bacon butties. We all have things we miss. Some days I wish I'd lost weight earlier or ate less carbs so I could still be eating them now. But part of me knows that the weight and carbs were intimately related and that if I had my time again I'd most likely end up here in the same way as before.

Reactions: 5 people

Helsin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It would be handy to put something between two slices of wholemeal from time to time, particularly when travelling, but IBS would stop me even if Type 2 didn't. I sometimes miss a breakfast cereal or porridge as mornings are horrid enough without having to make a decision about what to eat. Mr Kipling sings me a siren song, but I don't listen.