Potatoes and Diabetes - POTATOES ARE MY NEMESIS!

The potato - friend or foe?

• Friend

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Foe

Votes: 18 64.3%

• Total voters

notafanofsugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
everything good for me! getting better though x
OK, so I really never eat potatoes. I had to eat one today at work as I was on a work-related course. Just after lunch time today, I had a jacket potato with cheese and beans. My blood glucose not too long after was 27.2mmol/L!

Conclusion: POTATOES ARE MY NEMESIS!

I was reminded of the Blackadder episode 'Potato':

Reactions: 10 people

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Agreed!! and mashed potato was the worst offender I found in the early days!

Reactions: 2 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
May not have been the spud alone - baked beans are the spawn of the devil .. Even the supposedly low sugar ones. Try just a small spud with butter and cheese in future work related food emergencies. Baked spuds are the one thing I really miss - maybe one day when I've lost all my excess weight I might try half a one.

south711

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
being a diabetic and finding restrictions.to life style. people who do not understand the problems one has. not being able to afford to come back to uk for holidays as often, quite expensive. miss some foods that the French do not do. but can live with that French drivers. who love to tail gate. and they love to drive over the white line. in rural areas they are a pain. but get use to it. does put the wind up you. But driving in the UK found that drivers want to get as close as they can. and the traffic. it took me 25 minutes to get to friends house which was less then a mile away. due to traffic.
I do eat potatoes, roasted and boiled, no chips though. not to much of a problem, only have a small amount. always with plenty of protein. Rice is another , when I have sweet and Sour Prawns and rice. again in moderation.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I never liked potatoes much, except French fries. To be honest, I haven't had any since I got a blood glucose meter a few months ago. I'm scared to see what a potato would do to my BG. I like bacon, though.

Reactions: 4 people

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Spuds arent too bad for me as long as I have a smallish portion. My carb nemesis is pasta

south711

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
being a diabetic and finding restrictions.to life style. people who do not understand the problems one has. not being able to afford to come back to uk for holidays as often, quite expensive. miss some foods that the French do not do. but can live with that French drivers. who love to tail gate. and they love to drive over the white line. in rural areas they are a pain. but get use to it. does put the wind up you. But driving in the UK found that drivers want to get as close as they can. and the traffic. it took me 25 minutes to get to friends house which was less then a mile away. due to traffic.
Bacon eggs mushrooms tomatoes, and fried bread. no change with my bg cheese and tomatoes sandwich for lunch or fried egg on toast.
toasted cheese.
today had a slice of homemade cake. I have a wonderful cake that I make, it is mostly nuts and fruit and whisky I only have a small amount sliver. but cannot resist. does not seem to have any problem. but do not have it every day, about twice a week with my coffee
I do miss having a cake now and again.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Bacon eggs mushrooms tomatoes, and fried bread. no change with my bg cheese and tomatoes sandwich for lunch or fried egg on toast.
toasted cheese.
today had a slice of homemade cake. I have a wonderful cake that I make, it is mostly nuts and fruit and whisky I only have a small amount sliver. but cannot resist. does not seem to have any problem. but do not have it every day, about twice a week with my coffee
I do miss having a cake now and again.

And potatoes?

Reactions: 6 people

south711

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
sometimes. if I have some over will fry them. but mostly just the nice full breakfast, although do not have sausages.

mims57

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I eat sweet potatoes as I was told it is a better option. Lovely as a jacket spud and also roasted.

south711

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
great having sweet potato. makes a nice change

Pollylocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many.
...love potatoes just wish they loved me...boiled potato fine, chips okayish, mashed and jacket potatoes are a definite no no, guess which ones I like best...:eek:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:sorry:

A few chips are my limit.
No mash, baked, boiled...
I could probably do dauphinoise, with LOTS of cream :rolleyes:

this is too difficult two

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I looked at a bag of frozen oven chips and decided I could handle 100g. I got the scales out and weighed 100g.
****** it was about 6 chips. Still went over 9. I need to stop this nonsense.

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
New boiled potatoes seems to be okay as do roast potatoes... Chips are definitely a no!! :( and mashed potatoe is a bit iffy for me. I've not tried a jacket potatoe yet....

G

graj0

I had to eat one today at work as I was on a work-related course. Just after lunch time today, I had a jacket potato with cheese and beans. My blood glucose not too long after was 27.2mmol/L!

I hope nobody was holding a gun to your head. Beans and spud in one go, quite a hit really as shown by your BG afterwards. Look after yourself.

Pollylocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many.
I hope nobody was holding a gun to your head. Beans and spud in one go, quite a hit really as shown by your BG afterwards. Look after yourself.

....god I miss baked beans, some tins in my cupboard practically out of date, as I daren't try them :(

Sorry @notafanofsugar but cannot understand the exclamation mark after you found your bg level was 27.2 after jacket potato with cheese and beans, never ever seen mine that high and I'm no goody goody, freaked out when it was 18 once [had an infection] :confused:

notafanofsugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
everything good for me! getting better though x
Agreed - it doesn't always happen but I used to ignore it but just becoming more mindful x :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can eat chips, roast and new potatoes without spiking, but only small portions, and not in conjunction with other major carbs such as bread. Home made deep fried chips are apparently better than oven chips because of the extra fat. I tried mashed once on a cottage pie. Definitely a no-no. I haven't tried a baked one yet. Baked beans (including low sugar ones) send me sky high.

Reactions: 3 people