Newcastle Diet survivors - where are they now?

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What is the Newcastle Diet?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
You can read more about it here:
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal.htm

This video is also very informative:
http://www.fend-lectures.org/index.php?menu=view&id=94

It's basically what is referred to as a VLCKD - a very low calorie ketogenic diet based on 600 cals from Optifast (or other similar) diet shakes/meal replacements and 200 cals of vegetables. The diet can last for up to 8 weeks depending on the amount of weight you wish to lose.

It is also important to use a teaspoon of olive oil daily to minimise the risk of gallstones.

JBoy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I've been through it :) I've also just started up a FB forum for those who are either going through it or have completed it. There's no point in my humble going through it and then going straight back to what you were doing before, eventually you will just cross back over your personal visceral fat threshold and develop Type 2 symptoms again. On completion of the diet I have gone on to a kind of hybrid of LCHF and the alkalising diet. A nice mix of lots of veg and nuts, some dairy, some fish, very occasional meat and virtually no carbohydrate. I exercise daily and I've had no significant weight gain since coming off the Newcastle diet. For me it was brilliant and I'm so chuffed I did it. Incredibly hard work but worth every day :)

Reactions: 10 people

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Am 12 days into a Newcastle style diet and it's going really well and am combining it with increased exercise as well. Have lost 9-10 pounds and am 12st 7lbs with an ultimate target of sub 22 BMI of around 11 stone. Not sure I can go all the way on the diet especially as Christmas is less than 4 weeks away so may have a careful pause for Christmas week. Hopefully will have lost 10% of my starting weight by Christmas.

My suggestion is not to use meal replacements but calorie and carbohydrate count real food and combine with exercise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I've been through it :) I've also just started up a FB forum for those who are either going through it or have completed it. There's no point in my humble going through it and then going straight back to what you were doing before, eventually you will just cross back over your personal visceral fat threshold and develop Type 2 symptoms again. On completion of the diet I have gone on to a kind of hybrid of LCHF and the alkalising diet. A nice mix of lots of veg and nuts, some dairy, some fish, very occasional meat and virtually no carbohydrate. I exercise daily and I've had no significant weight gain since coming off the Newcastle diet. For me it was brilliant and I'm so chuffed I did it. Incredibly hard work but worth every day :)

Do you think you are in nutritional ketosis with the very low carb intake? How have your blood sugar levels held up?

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had forgotten about the giving up of coffee. That was necessary with the first, successful, Newcastle diet I completed 3 years ago ( using Lipotrim). Some VLC diets don't require you to give up tea and coffee, but I had more success with total food replacement.

I have two black espressos in the morning and 2-3 cups of black tea during the rest of the day - is that bad? These are all sweetened with sucralose.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
no I drank black tea and now black coffee as well in the bucket loads. I do not, however, put horrible chemicals in it like sweetner

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
no I drank black tea and now black coffee as well in the bucket loads. I do not, however, put horrible chemicals in it like sweetner

Yes sweetener is one vice I have not yet conquered, but I think sucralose is OK for now. I can drink very high quality espressos without sweetener but high quality means very expensive :)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I lost the taste for sweet things many years ago. Tea and coffee without milk is fine, and I see no harm with sweetners, but why not try to appreciate their flavours without adding artificial sweetners? You may appreciate their taste more.

Reactions: 2 people

moonchip

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes sweetener is one vice I have not yet conquered, but I think sucralose is OK for now. I can drink very high quality espressos without sweetener but high quality means very expensive :)

Hi Vit

Hope you're doing OK.

You know, there's no need for espresso's to be 'expensive' aside from using good coffee (ASDA do 2 bags of 'Taylors of Harrogate' for £5)

I've tried loads of different coffee machines and I always come back to my favourite - bought for me as a present by my wife a few years ago - the Aerobie Aeropress - and it is extremely highly regarded in the 'coffee world'

Its a manual press, as easy to use as what it is, basically a big syringe with a filter

I use the paper filters regularly and when I go camping take a stainless steel ultra-mesh re-usable filter with me.

I can make a really nice strong cup of proper coffee in about a minute - clean up is 10/15 seconds

Forget your expensive coffee machines with the expensive refills - this thing outperforms them all on price - and especially on taste - and you can experiment with different delays or hotter water to get the taste just how you like it. It can be mellow (at around 80 degrees) or sharp (at boiling point)

Also, this link shows how the Aeropress can make an espresso - this inverted method is the way I make coffee using the press - it also allows you to see the crema developing before you attach the filter cap

OK, I admit it - I'm a coffee nerd :D:D

Finally this video shows the inverted method again for making an espresso, an americano or a latte (OK, I can't have milk on the Newcastle) but I'm looking forward to it when I finish !

I think the one my wife bought me was about £24, the stainless filter (made specifically for the Aerobie) I got off eBay from a US seller for about a tenner

Last edited by a moderator:

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Vit

Hope you're doing OK.

You know, there's no need for espresso's to be 'expensive' aside from using good coffee (ASDA do 2 bags of 'Taylors of Harrogate' for £5)

I've tried loads of different coffee machines and I always come back to my favourite - bought for me as a present by my wife a few years ago - the Aerobie Aeropress - and it is extremely highly regarded in the 'coffee world'

Its a manual press, as easy to use as what it is, basically a big syringe with a filter

I use the paper filters regularly and when I go camping take a stainless steel ultra-mesh re-usable filter with me.

I can make a really nice strong cup of proper coffee in about a minute - clean up is 10/15 seconds

Forget your expensive coffee machines with the expensive refills - this thing outperforms them all on price - and especially on taste - and you can experiment with different delays or hotter water to get the taste just how you like it. It can be mellow (at around 80 degrees) or sharp (at boiling point)

Also, this link shows how the Aeropress can make an espresso - this inverted method is the way I make coffee using the press - it also allows you to see the crema developing before you attach the filter cap

OK, I admit it - I'm a coffee nerd :D:D

Finally this video shows the inverted method again for making an espresso, an americano or a latte (OK, I can't have milk on the Newcastle) but I'm looking forward to it when I finish !

I think the one my wife bought me was about £24, the stainless filter (made specifically for the Aerobie) I got off eBay from a US seller for about a tenner

I like my coffee dark and strong and routinely buy Sainsburys own-brand espresso coffee beans (about £2.30 for 227g) and hand grind (I use a ceramic burr Porlex hand grinder which I obtained in Japan last time I was there). I am not keen on lighter roast acidic coffees. I have a 14 year old Krups espresso machine which is still going strong. It's a simple but 'proper' pressurised machine. I am saving up for a bean to cup machine! Sweetened, the Sainsburys espresso is really very good but it's not as palatable as a really good bean without sweetening. I usually drink my home made espressos topped up with water so they are technically Americanos. Undiluted an espresso needs less sweetening, definitely.

That Aerobee looks interesting - ideal for travel.

moonchip

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I like my coffee dark and strong and routinely buy Sainsburys own-brand espresso coffee beans (about £2.30 for 227g) and hand grind (I use a ceramic burr Porlex hand grinder which I obtained in Japan last time I was there). I am not keen on lighter roast acidic coffees. I have a 14 year old Krups espresso machine which is still going strong. It's a simple but 'proper' pressurised machine. I am saving up for a bean to cup machine! Sweetened, the Sainsburys espresso is really very good but it's not as palatable as a really good bean without sweetening. I usually drink my home made espressos topped up with water so they are technically Americanos. Undiluted an espresso needs less sweetening, definitely.

That Aerobee looks interesting - ideal for travel.

I have a good friend who imports coffee beans - I'll happily send you some to try.

If you wish to message ( edited by Moderator to remove email address).with your name & address I'll put some in the post for you :)

Thankfully you've already got your own grinder

The Aeropress is excellent both for home & travel - its robust enough to take camping and if I was a frequent traveller like you it'd be a regular companion for 'proper' coffee - but perhaps too late for you to get one before your trip tomorrow

If you wish to exchange email addresses please do so within a private message. CC