Do you think I have gestational diabetes?

tracy1975

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi,

I'm 28wks pregnant and went for a growth scan on Monday. Baby is measuring on the 94th centile although I'm not sure about the acuracy of these scans as have read that they can be up to 10-20% out.

They want me to have a glucose tolerance test so have bought a blood glucose monitor from the chemist.

My reading so far are as follows:

Wednesday:
Pre lunch: 4.7
1hr post lunch: 7.9
Pre dinner: 6.1 did have a snack a little while before.
1hr post dinner: 6.2

Thursday:
Fasting: 5.3 did have a glass of orange juice about 30 mins before getting up
1hr post breakfast: 7.3
Pre lunch: 4.4
1hr post lunch: 5.4
Pre dinner: 4.4
1hr post dinner: 7.9 worried this was high so tested again straight away and got 8.1. Had eaten burger and chips without a bun.

Yesterday:
Fasting: 4.5
1hr post breakfast: 4.9
Pre lunch: 4.7
1hr post lunch: 5.4
Pre dinner: 3.9
1hr post dinner: 7.4

Today:
Fasting: 4.6
1hr post breakfast: 7.3
Pre lunch: 4.4
1hr post lunch: 8.1 had a large white baguette with cheese and pickle

Also tested on Thursday after drinking a 500ml bottle of lucozade and readings were 7.0 after 1hr and 4.4 after 2 hours.

I'm worried that 8.1 is high and most of yesterday's readings seem on the low side.

Are these readings normal?

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
worry about something else, like the colour of the babyroom walls :)
they all look good to me and I can't see you having a problem with the GTT, I think you are mixing the 1 hr and 2 hr up, everyone is high at one hour and it's the 2 hr that counts

my personal opinion is to eat some more carbs if you want to, as your " lucozade and readings were 7.0 after 1hr and 4.4 after 2 hours." showed a perfectly normal response

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php
Here are what doctors currently believe to be non-diabetic readings:
[yes I know you have an 8.1 at one hour, but home kits aren't that accurate]
Fasting blood sugar under 100 mg/dl (5.5 mmol/L)
One hour after meals under 140 mg/dl (7.8 mmol/L)
Two hours after meals under 120 mg/dl (6.6 mmol/L)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people
C

catherinecherub

As you are pregnant the 1 hour post prandial should be 7.8 or under. Home testing kits are not 100% accurate.

Not much there to worry about but I would take the GTT test to be sure and for your peace of mind.
Hope all goes well and keep us informed.

Last edited:

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
these are the numbers they will be looking for
http://www.ghc.org/all-sites/guidelines/gestationalDiabetes.pdf
Gestational diabetes at 24–28 weeks, 2-hour glucose challenge after a 75 g glucose load
more than
Fasting result  92 mg/dL.. 5.1
1-hour result  180 mg/dL .. 10
2-hour result 153 mg/dL ..8.5

they also recommend
Listed below are recommendations for caloric distribution:  Breakfast: 10% of total caloric allotment (Carbohydrate intake at breakfast is limited since insulin resistance is greatest in the morning.)  Lunch: 30% of calories  Dinner: 30% of calories  Snacks: 30% of calories Recommended overall total caloric distribution: 
Carbohydrate: 33–40%  Protein: ~ 20%  Fat: ~ 40%

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with 7.8 and my first link of 1hr 7.8 was for ideal/normal range and 2hr 6.6 and the same as your link. My second link wasn't to challenge you.
my second link was for gestational diabetes diagnosis, with the 75ml sugar test....they are still tighter than the general population

tracy1975

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks for the replies.

Have been to GP this morning who said the reading look perfectly normal for a non-diabetic to them.
I've asked to be booked in for GTT just to be on the safe side but can't fit me in until 2nd October.

I've now managed to completely confuse myself as had a cheese and pickle sandwich followed by a large bowl of ice cream for lunch and reading after 1hr was 8.9 tested again half hour later and was down to 6.9!!

tracy1975

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Anyone?

My readings since then 1 hour post meal have been:

Dinner 6.4 spag bol.
Breakfast 5.2, mc donalds bacon and egg mcmuffin and strawberry thick shake
Lunch 7.4 cheese and onion toasty
Dinner 6.9 bangers, mash, veg and gravy

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hi tracy, nice to see your Bg is still in the normal range, at 29weeks and very normal, the odds of you getting it in the next couple of months isn't high.
you don't have to check every meal if you don't want to, I would check before breakfast, before tea and 2 hr afterwards

do you know what you are having, or is it going to be a surprise?
how was your last scan, it's good to keep a copy, for your baby book

David147

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't worry.. I had gestational diabetes during my first pregnancy and never had it again... It goes away as soon as the baby is delivered, and almost always the baby has no problem with diabetes what so ever... I had to follow a pretty strict diet to avoid the insulin shots... It was hard at first with the cravings and all, but I got used to it... You will have to avoid sugar, even limit fruits as they contain natural sugars... but there are some good things you can get that are sugar free and splenda is safe during pregnancy.. also you will have to keep sodium to a minimum... kind of hard of first, but that too you can adjust to... I also had to follow a certain calorie count a day... But you know all of that wasn't as hard as it would have been to give myself a shot every day... The main problem with gestational diabetes is that the baby can get too big.. and that is why it's good to follow the diet and monitor the baby during pregnancy.... The worst thing I experienced was the occasional light sick shaky feeling from my sugar being low.. but a few sips of a soda makes that go away almost instantly.. Don't worry.. you and the baby will be fine... Congratulations on your pregnancy and best wishes ♥