Whey Protein powder

Richard.l

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
sugar
I Take whey protien diet or lean (sugar free) but i am using weights, i have lost 3st and use protien so i don't burn my muscle mass away being on low carb otherwise i would not touch it, it do can do more harm than good if you overload your body.

bkr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Its a topic Im curious about, some low sugar/lean mass products look like they will assist in the building of solid muscle, alongside a good workout regime, also taking into account a sensible diet/liquid intake.

Just out of interest, which product does anyone recommend? - there are some good write ups on Bulk Powders & PHD products.

A

AnnieC

Well I don't know what the conclusion is here about using whey powder but it seems to me that for those who do hard training and body building etc it is a help to them because they need the extra protein. For us ordinary folk who just do normal excercise and if we eat enough protein in our every day meals then we do not need whey protein. No one really seems to know why it is used in recipes and as the guy in the health food shop said he had never heard of it being used as a cooking ingredient but only used as a drink and he said he would not recommend it to anyone who does not do hard training or body building

bkr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree, it has to be utilised alongside a workout for there to be a point, but for someone who does work out daily, using weights - I wondered which product would be best if any? - pre diagnosis I did drink whey protein shakes around my workouts but moving forward wondered which would be best, as Ive read that many have very little negative content for people with our condition.

A

AnnieC

I agree, it has to be utilised alongside a workout for there to be a point, but for someone who does work out daily, using weights - I wondered which product would be best if any? - pre diagnosis I did drink whey protein shakes around my workouts but moving forward wondered which would be best, as Ive read that many have very little negative content for people with our condition.
Perhaps a fitness trainer at the gym would be able to advise you about the right one to have

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
We were recommended this:

http://www.onacademy.co.uk/gold-standard-100-whey

It has some really good flavours, and I use it post weight training mixed with water, plus when I need the occasional top up, mixed with nut milk and peanut butter in the blender. I am eating >200g of protein daily though, to promote muscle recovery and growth.

I've added it to porridge to make protein porridge, and the only reason I can see that you'd add it to food recipes is to increase protein content because you are on a relatively high protein intake linked to a weights programme.

Reactions: 2 people

bkr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We were recommended this:

http://www.onacademy.co.uk/gold-standard-100-whey

It has some really good flavours, and I use it post weight training mixed with water, plus when I need the occasional top up, mixed with nut milk and peanut butter in the blender. I am eating >200g of protein daily though, to promote muscle recovery and growth.

I've added it to porridge to make protein porridge, and the only reason I can see that you'd add it to food recipes is to increase protein content because you are on a relatively high protein intake linked to a weights programme.

Thanks Tim, I did that before too - the addition of whey to porridge, especially with the flavoured element can bring it to life. Will look at that whey product, thanks for the heads up :)

Ive used this before, which is pretty good & sensible on the ingredients: http://www.bulkpowders.co.uk/shop-by-goal/increase-mass/informed-mass.html

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use whey protein powder every now and again, my girlfriend loves putting it in all kinds of recipes too!

The reason you would want or need it is too meet your protein intake goals for that day.

When you are going to the gym with the hopes of building muscles or even loosing weight you will be pushing your muscles and should be sure to eat enough protein for that day.

For example - when I am trying to add muscles I try to eat 2200cal eat day and get at least 150g of protein. Sometimes it's hard to get thatch protein in that amount of calories without eating to many, or maybe you need more protein and don't have time to make a meal so you just grab the protein shake and bam 50g of protein in 150cals.

It just ensures you are eating enough protein as many people actually don't.