Confusion

eclem001

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed type 2. My diabetic nurse said she wont start me on metformin as i am not overweight.(49kgs). My hba1c at that time was 75, went down to 54 then now 51. Doctor told me to take metformin. Should i take it or stick to what my diabetic nurse advice- diet control.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would suggest you accept your doctor's offer of Metformin as it should help you maintain better blood sugar and better Hba1c.

uncle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would ask DN why she doesn't think you need it, then GP why you do, weigh up the best option, ask what forum thinks of each answer, make decision from there.

Reactions: 3 people

eclem001

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
DN says im not overweight to take metformin. She thinks diet contol will do for now until i get reviewed again. My blood sugars are mostly well controlled. My hba1c is still high but went down from 75 to 51.doctor told me it wont go further down with diet alone. And said need to start on metformin.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Taking Metformin has nothing to do with being overweight. It's to help your blood sugar control. Your Hba1c of 51 is pretty good though.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reactions: 2 people

Nyxks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Discrimination based on gender, age, medical conditions, etc.
Bolux that it can't go down on diet alone my mom was 100% diet controlled for 40 odd years n she never was on insulin or medication till the day she died.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed type 2. My diabetic nurse said she wont start me on metformin as i am not overweight.(49kgs). My hba1c at that time was 75, went down to 54 then now 51. Doctor told me to take metformin. Should i take it or stick to what my diabetic nurse advice- diet control.

Hi,

Did they issue you with a blood glucose meter...?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are people on this forum who diet control their type 2 without drugs and have HbA1cs in the 30s and 40s.

But some of those diets are very strict.

It all depends on how much you are willing to adjust menus.

Personally, I low carb, but my ultimate goal is an a1c of 41 (under 6 in old money) - which I think I can do without diet misery. If it was misery, then I would go the Metformin route - cos it has to be sustainable.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bolux that it can't go down on diet alone my mom was 100% diet controlled for 40 odd years n she never was on insulin or medication till the day she died.
yet 50% of T2 will be on insulin within 6-10 years of diagnosis, life's a mystery isn't it :)
OP has reduced from 70's to 50's by diet, there was diet advise posted. To see if there is room to further reduce carbs and still be a sustainable eating plan.
it's been 50's for estimated 6 mths, if it was me, something would need to change,

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello there.

I was diagnosed last October (where did the time go?). My HbA1c details are in my signature, and I don't take any medication. I never have. At diagnosis, I wasn't terribly overweight, but I have trimmed up, and now weigh in at 49/50kg, like you. Personally, I don't want to take medication if I can avoid it. Yes, I watch what I eat, but I very rarely feel deprived.

As I understand it, Metformin only has a limited impact on bloods. The impacts of Metformin are in acting as an appetite
suppressant, thus the overweight remarks, and secondly, it helps with insulin resistance. I can understand the confusion isn't helpful. Having conflicting advice from the same team would be very frustrating for me.

Did you question your doctor on his recommendation? I can understand why you might not, if you weren't expecting that development. I might have been dumbstruck.

But, moving forward.

How do you feel about your HbA1c? Are you happy with it, or do you really want to get it lower? Persoanlly, I want to run at non-diabetic levels, and I seem to be able to do that, without too much angst. If you want it lower, and taking medication doesn't phase you, it could be worth it for a few months, as a trial? On an upside, if you take diabetes medication, you qualify for free prescriptions for 5 years, irrespective of whether you stay on the meds, or not. Of course, that should never be a driver in deciding whether or not to take medication.

Let us know what you decide, and if you want any further information, please just shout.

eclem001

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
They issued me a blood glucose monitor because i asked for it. It took me 3 months before they gave it.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Metformin is a very safe, very well tolerated drug. If users get gastric side effects, these can usually be dealt with by using the time-release form (SR). Its benefits are minor but helpful. There's an argument that all diabetics (Type 1 as well as Type 2) should be on Metformin. It's easy to come off if it doesn't work for you. It helps with overweight, but you don't need to be overweight to benefit from it. Your Hba1c is good "for a diabetic", but could be better, and you will see health benefits from an improved Hba1c. So if I were you I would try the Metformin.

Reactions: 4 people

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Can't see why you would need to take it since you've managed perfectly well to get your Hba1c down to a reasonable level on your own .Metformin has some VERY nasty side effects for some people and it certainly doesn't act as an appetite suppressant for anyone i've spoken to and certainly not me .I'd continue whatever your doing and keep an eye on it .Doctors are too **** quick giving medication that has a serious effect on your life .Read the Metformin forum to see the side effects .My own personal opinion of course but no way would I take it with your readings.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They issued me a blood glucose monitor because i asked for it. It took me 3 months before they gave it.

OK, that's good news.. At least it will give you shorter term blood glucos trends on how you react to diet...

Deejoe

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been on metformin for 11 months and have started developing stomach pain, bloating, indegestion and full feeling which are all side effects. Will the time release stop this? I take 500 mgs. Once a day and my numbers have been really good. It just seems I can't tolerate it.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been on metformin for 11 months and have started developing stomach pain, bloating, indegestion and full feeling which are all side effects. Will the time release stop this? I take 500 mgs. Once a day and my numbers have been really good. It just seems I can't tolerate it.
there are some people who it doesn't agree with, I would tell your Dr and ask to swap to the slow/time release and see if that fixes it
TBH a single tablet isn't a lot, it is quite likely at this stage you could manage your diabetes with diet.
a lot here buy a codefree meter and strips off of amazon uk and make sure the food doesn't raise their BG
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php

a lot here would recommend the low carb diet with healthy fats/oils replacing the lost carbs
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf