type1 with pcos and possibility of fertility treatment

emziejane1988

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Evening all, ive been diabetic now for nearly 9 years. me and my partner have been ttc for nearly 2 years now, have had the all clear from pre pregnancy clinic to start trying a while back, but after a battle with the gp to get tested for pcos (after having a very long list of symptoms) finally got diagnosed. i have been given metormin to help with ovulation (as well as insulin for diabetes.)
Just wondering if there is anyone else out there who is or has been in the same situation of being passed to fertility clinic and if any issues from taking chlomid as this will be the next step as at the moment im still not ovulation.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks

emmiewallace

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi emziejane1988,

To wanted to say I wish you lots of luck! I've not got any experience with pcos or fertility treatment but hopefully someone else can relate and you get ovulating soon!

Xx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

leopard

Hi,

I am T2 and also have pcos - we've been trying to conceive for 4 years now (with a years break when I got diagnosed with the big D!). I am on metformin to control my blood sugars but it does not help me ovulate unfortunately. I have also had 6 months of clomid which made me ovulate but no fertilisation success. Clomid wasn't too bad but did give me what they call "clomid rage"! Think pmt and then magnify it by a lot! Don't worry though, you will be fine & fingers crossed it works for you as there are lots of success stories.
As it happens I have my first appointment tomorrow at my fertility clinic to begin the next process of IUI (artificial insemination) - fingers crossed this is more successful.

Feel free to ask any questions and I will help all I can :)

Leopard

emziejane1988

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
thanks for the reply's. now been told to go on 3 a day on the metformin, the only issue im having with that at the min is more of the dreaded hypos. but my concern is i have not been getting any warning symptoms only been lucky enough to catch it because doing bloods reguly. Fingers crossed ive only had slight nausea with the metformin no other lovely side affects ive been warned about.
What did chlomid do to your sugars. "chlomid rage" sounds like the other half is going to love me lol.
i'm due to see the diabetes team in a week and already got a list as long as my arm for questions, but always seen it as the best people to ask are the ones that have dealt with it.

carlylou2688

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya
I have been t1 for 15 years now and ttc for 2 1/2 years and last year been diagnosed pcos on metformin, still got irregular periods and fell pregnant in march but miscarried. Under the hospital at the moment for infertility investigations. Wishing you lots of luck and hope you get your bfp soon xx

sukara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was first diagnosed with PCOS in my early 30's. I had to ask my GP for relevant tests to confirm. I am now in my 50's and diagnosed type 2.
I have conceived a total of 3 times, my first miss carried but I have two beautiful children now both grown up.

Oliviakk

First time I've used this forum! I have T1 (15 years) and PCOS. I went through IVF and now have a 14 month old daughter. It was definitely hard work with managing diabetes and all the fertility meds, and then to have tight control throughout pregnancy! Just test regularly, don't feel guilty when your sugar levels aren't perfect, and see the diabetes team at the relevant clinic - they were a huge help - v supportive. I'm starting treatment for child #2 and am really struggling to manage my sugar levels. I think the thyroxine and metformin is screwing up my control, but am hoping it will settle soon. Good luck to you.

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Evening all, ive been diabetic now for nearly 9 years. me and my partner have been ttc for nearly 2 years now, have had the all clear from pre pregnancy clinic to start trying a while back, but after a battle with the gp to get tested for pcos (after having a very long list of symptoms) finally got diagnosed. i have been given metormin to help with ovulation (as well as insulin for diabetes.)
Just wondering if there is anyone else out there who is or has been in the same situation of being passed to fertility clinic and if any issues from taking chlomid as this will be the next step as at the moment im still not ovulation.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks

Hi... I'm just wondering, how do you know you're not ovulating? And how should/could metformin help with that...? I'm asking as I'm also wondering about possible hormonal stuff and conceiving...x

sukara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Artemis, I can only say what I now know, PCOS screws up your insulin and makes you insulin resistant, metformin will help with this issue, also I was told many years ago being over a certain weight, (about 10stone) will also not help with the insulin levels and ovulation.
because I didn't ovulate at all and had no periods I had to have meds to kick a bleed off so I could start taking the Chlomid,(sorry very technical) which makes you ovulate, the next bit is up to you and your partner, if you get what I mean??????

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi Artemis, I can only say what I now know, PCOS screws up your insulin and makes you insulin resistant, metformin will help with this issue, also I was told many years ago being over a certain weight, (about 10stone) will also not help with the insulin levels and ovulation.
because I didn't ovulate at all and had no periods I had to have meds to kick a bleed off so I could start taking the Chlomid,(sorry very technical) which makes you ovulate, the next bit is up to you and your partner, if you get what I mean??????

Ah... Makes sense, thank you :)

... I'm about to have a few blood tests including estrogen and progesterone - would these be enough to let me know if pcos was an issue and metformin may be helpful...?

sukara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
are they also going to test your Testorone levels? this will be higher than normal,
they can also scan for cysts on your ovaries.
the doctors look for more than one symptom of PCOS.
at least now the doctors are more willing to be pro-active with this condition and help you manage it.

sukara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
PCOS stands for Poly Cystic Ovary Syndrome.
to be diagnosed with this condition doctors will look for a combination of symptoms, i.e. extra hair growth over the body. the hair tends to be thick and coarse, weight gain and you will find it is very hard to loose it, irregular periods or none at all, also you should be sent for a scan of your ovaries to confirm you have small cysts on them. PCOS will also give you higher readings for testorone but you will also become insulin intolerant as your hormones come from your ovaries and pancreas where your insulin levels are controlled to a degree.
the condition is quite complex.
metformin will help regulate the insulin intolerance.
you can search for PCOS and it will give you a much better description.

HelenTeale

I am also Type1 and pcos, the best advice i could give is to change your diet, cut out all extra hormones that are hidden in food, I follow the paleo lifestyle and it has been amazing for my diabetes. It has also stopped some of my pcos symptoms, infact the ovary that was the most Polycystic is now clear :) we had to go down the fertility route for this reason. I started to ovulate again by myself, infact I got my first cycle in over 6 months a week after switching to organic. Crazy what stuff is in our food. I had a laparoscopy during the course of my fertility investigations as the consultant wanted to do ovarian drilling. But she found I ovulate myself, unfortunately I had a secondary issue where my tubes were blocked. So couldn't get pregnant without ivf. If you can try kick start your system yourself it's much better than fertility treatment. Im glad I got my pcos under control and my consultant says if it hadn't been for my tubes I could've got pregnant on my own. Have a look on the Internet about paleo. It has completely reversed my insulin resistance too. :). X