Shingles.

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
I have been feeling unwell for about a couple of weeks, then Sat started with pains, Sunday the most horrenduos pain and I suddenly realised what the heck it was...shingles, my 3rd time. Diagnosed this morning with antivirual tabs and Ibrophen so hope these do not impact with metformin. Rash not out yet so expecting pain again when it appears.
Not a very happy person at the moment.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh dear Hazel Im not surprised your not happy. Take care :)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ouch! I had that when my youngest was 8 months old. Very painful. The antivirals were excellent though. I found the pain was less when the rash appeared, although the rash was irritating.

Adele99

Poor you, Have my sympathy . I found the tiredness which came with Shingles worse than the really itchy spots or burning pain. Was wondering are you under a lot of stress through overdoing things, or very run down perhaps. Possibly not eating properly or looking after everyone else before yourself. Asking because the virus which lies dormant in a nerve ending normally re activates when your immune system is below par.

I've had shingles twice. The first time was when working a lot of hours on a high value contract project which had lots of problems to iron out, and the 2 nd time was when my mother was very ill , admitted to hospital and diagnosed with terminal stage cancer. And as well as working was charging back and forth between home, work and the hospital, so wasn't looking after myself properly.

Hope the anti vitals work well for you and prevent or at least lessen the effects of some of the symptoms. Keep in mind your body is fighting a virus , so have plenty of rest, don't overdo things, and keep an eye on your blood levels. Take care.

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
Thanks for the replies, I have chilled out this summer not doing anything at all, had visitors from Australia but they only used us as a base for travelling around. Did catch a cough from them when they first arrived but had antibiotics and this cleared up. I don't test blood levels as T2 and was never offered to do this, diagnosed April 13.
I am only on 1 x 500mg metformin a day and diet. Lost 3 stone in weight since diagnosis. on lowish carbs average 120 a day, do you think I should up them whilst being unwell?

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Hazel, if possible keep the carbs low - it will pay dividends. Carbs are just not good for most people especially those with diabetes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

MarkE

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Woo
Nasty- I had my bout of Shingles just before getting married @4 years ago. Just after diagnosis of Type II...

Still get occasional fox-claw pains right where the rash appeared, even now...