Living with Diabetes Days

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I've just been to the Hounslow "Living with Diabetes Day" organised by DUK.

An interesting day - well worth attending if there's one in your area.

Sessions
- What is Type 2 diabetes?
- What diabetes care to expect?
- Food and Diabetes
- Managing Diabetes
- So You Think You Know About Diabetes
- Diabetes UK and You
- Research Round Up

We are pleased to offer Living with Diabetes Days thanks to our National Charity Partnership with Tesco.

Just_me

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Ian, i was always at this event too. Are you local to Hounslow? I'm looking to move GPs but worried about the level of care based on what the attendees were saying about their GPs in Hounslow. Feedback wasn't great and they were raising a list of issues that i currently am not facing with my GP in another borough. I have built a good relationship with my diabetic nurse and GP and if I didn't have to move because of catchment areas I definitely wouldn't. Any advice would be grateful. Thanks

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Will be interesting what they think is low carb and wheat free. Yes, probably salad, but I eat that every day anyway.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Being both wheat and gluten intolerant .
They have provided me with appropriate gluten/wheat free
biscuits at the Northwest Lancs DiabetesUK meetings .
To have with my coffee . :)

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Will be interesting what they think is low carb and wheat free. Yes, probably salad, but I eat that every day anyway.
Maybe worth contacting the organisers or secretary
Putting your request forward and explain your food
intollerances options and needs .

Just_me

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys! On the whole the day was good. U go to a number of workshops throughout the day and everyone is so friendly. They start at the very beginning so its really good for any newly diagnosed diabetics. I was really looking forward to the food workshop but it ended up being the one I was most disappointed with. They put us into groups and each group had to answer a question based on a scenario. Personally I would have preferred to be educated in that hour (lecture type, lots of more in-depth info) rather than doing a group task but I guess everyone prefers different ways of learning. The day was well organised and I liked the fact that they brought local professionals in from the area - great for those that live in the borough, it made it more personal. Hope you enjoy your days too.
P.S For our afternoon break we got carrot and celery sticks with mayo dip.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I live on the boundary of Norwood Green and Heston. The Dr is very supportive - probably because he has seen my transformation by LCHF.

I didn't learn anything that would change my diet or lifestyle. I'm fit and well, and the neuropathy that led me to LCHF is long gone.

In the opening session, you may have noticed they acknowledged my point that HbA1c does not show the highs and lows we get with a high carbohydrate, low fat diet. I'm sure that caused my neuropathy.

I enjoyed the food - chicken salad, and sandwich fillings, but my BG dropped to 4-5 by 4pm. Low fat!

I will be following up with the Dr who asked for research contacts.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Andrew S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snobs! Angry people who keep getting angry and can't calm down.
Sorry I missed this day, I may go to a session in another Borough but as I live in Heston, it would have been ideal!