Stupid Pump Tricks Number One and Number Two

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dropping your pump down the toilet.

I can't believe I have managed to avoid this in 6 months of pumping (do I get a medal?) but I have had many, many close calls, and it can only be a matter of time.

Presumably less of a problem for the ladies, with their handy bras, and for sporty types with their athletic strap-on pouches (oo er!). For us gentlemen of the more lard-***** type, using belt- and pocket- based solutions for pump wearing, it is a constant hazard.

Ah well, at least it's possible to use the tubing to fish it out.

Reactions: 2 people

iHs

Have you tried putting the vibe in yr pocket and making a hole at the top or bottom of it so that tube can be pushed through to attach to the set? Saves bog dropping lol

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have you tried putting the vibe in yr pocket and making a hole at the top or bottom of it so that tube can be pushed through to attach to the set? Saves bog dropping lol
Yeah I think I need to get around to doing that.

Do you use some kind of hole reinforcer or just make a hole?

When I first got the pump I wandered around sewing shops looking for hole reinforcers but none were big enough for the fat spade connector end of the canula, and I don't want to have to unscrew the reservoir end every time I change my trousers.

Ideally a big hole reinforcer with a slitted fabric circle inside the reinforcer so I can push the spade connector through without having a permanent 5p piece sized hole in my pocket.

iHs

The hole can be just a largish slit so doesnt need to be a circle. The tube clip will push through the slit. You can neaten the hole or slit with clear nail varnish to stop fraying or use needle and cotton and do a bit of over sewing or get some binding tape to strenghen it.

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You can get iron on reinforcing patches.

Iron the patch on first. Then cut the hole. No fray.

See how domesticated I am? Sometimes I astonish myself!

image.jpg

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In that case, this wil just blow you away:

Type 'iron on patches uk' into google and choose your colour...

;)

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ah yes, the pump toilet juggle, I have managed to drop my pump down the toilet on a couple of occasions even though I am an elegant lady with a bra ;) luckily my tubing is quite short so it didn't fully submerge.

A similar trick to iron on reinforcing patches is iron on velcro strips. I have made a small hole in a dress pocket and sealed either side with velcro so I can feed my tubing through and then seal the velcro around it, seems to work well.

Reactions: 5 people
H

Hooked

After a couple of times when the pump came unclipped from my pocket and nearly fell (tubing too short for it to actually hit the ground), I decided to start using a spibelt. No bother at all now and it's really comfy to wear. Belt only comes off now for shower/bath time.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Just wear it on your arm then you never have to worry about dropping down toilet. Mind you, you need to have a fully functional bolus remote control like accucheks. I never have to worry about threading tubes through pockets, never wear a bra despite being a woman and could never be ***** with fluffing around with putting on a belt and wearing it weapped around stomach. All are uggh to me!

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeah it's that whole "no remote" issue again. Not much help to us Vibe users alas.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I actually can and do wear my Vibe on my arm in casual dress in warm weather, when I can reach the pump controls directly. But not in business attire!

H

Hooked

@Hooked what is this spibelt and where can I buy one from? Is it something you can hide under clothes?
It's one of these:
http://www.spibelt.com/products/specialty-spibelt/diabetic-spibelt
The diabetic one comes with a wee buttonhole at the back to fit the tubing through, but tbh, you could just as easily use their normal ones letting the tubing come out at one side of the zip.

I bought mine on ebay, places like funkypumpers sell them too, so shop around for the best price.

I'm usually in jeans and ladies fit tshirts and you don't really notice it unless looking for it.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Sorry spiker, forgot you on different pump.