First pint of Stella for 11 weeks

gaz tred

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So, according to my DN I am now in the non diabetic range, hba1c down to 41. I have now lost two and a half stone and have been low carbing since diagnosis in mid July.
Last night I decided to have the Stella that's been in the fridge for months. Yesterday I ate eggs and bacon for breakfast, 3 slices of corned beef for lunch then nothing until I got in from playing football. Tested immediately after a shower, 6.2 which I real high for me. Ate 2 chicken kievs and downed the pint of Stella (which has been described to me as liquid sugar) at 10pm. Tested after one hour at 11pm and 5.1!! I am surprised, I know alcohol lowers BG but I would have thought that the Stella being "liquid sugar" would have caused a massive spike.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm assuming you didn't test any further?

You may be absolutely fine with it, but what actually happens when you take alcohol on board is that your body prioritises dealing with the alcohol before it gets around to dealing with carbs. As the Kievs you also ate would have had that lovely buttery centre, the fat also tends to flatten spikes, and in some people the impact of the flattening is to prolong any rise.

Soooooooo. What am I actually saying? I'm probably saying you should repeat the exercise, but a bit earlier in the day/evening, so that you can test beyond the 1 hour mark, and depending on your 2 hr findings, you may want to test beyond that.

What was your fasting level this morning?

I hope it works out well for you Gaz. I still don't eat massive amounts of carbs, but I do enjoy having a few more options when it comes to diet.

gaz tred

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@AndBreathe
Fasting bloods 5.2 this morning after the pint of Stella last night. Got up late and faffed around packing cases for my holiday. Off to Tunisia tomorrow for a weeks all inclusive. Next weeks readings could be interesting!!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@AndBreathe
Fasting bloods 5.2 this morning after the pint of Stella last night. Got up late and faffed around packing cases for my holiday. Off to Tunisia tomorrow for a weeks all inclusive. Next weeks readings could be interesting!!

Quite possibly, but whatever they are, you are likely to learn loads from them. I know it's a pain on holiday, but it would be good if you could still keep a food and bloods diary.