Time off work for DAFNE?

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My local DAFNE runs four Thursdays for a month during the day. Work not too keen on giving me time off. What are my rights?

Miss90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I took a week off uni to do DAFNE... I know it's a different thing but I asked for a letter from my DSN and uni were perfectly fine with that.

**shell**

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Insects, ignorance, horror films.
I met my workplace half way, they give me two days off for health reasons and I took two days annual leave. I work for the NHS so it's all on managers discretion. I had to back my request up with some reasons as to why it would benefit the company for me to go on the course - the NHS isn't so big on it's staff having hospital appointments.
Points to consider putting forward:
•Better control and hopefully (if it's been a problem in the past) reduce your time off in the long term.
• More efficient in your job ie. high bloods more sluggish and lethargic
• Less hospital appointments (one of the main focus' on the DAFNE is to take more control and reduce your appointments)
• best one of all - the responsibility of your employer to ensure your health and well being.

Good luck, it's an excellent course and very informative. X

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
As Miss90 says, you can get a letter from the DAFNE nurses to give to your employer explaining why you need the time off, whether it's paid or not is at the discretion of your employer, there's no obligation for them to pay you unfortunately, but hopefully they will or you could use holidays or make the time back for them.

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks all for your advice. I'm happy to use holiday but it's a busy period (it always is though so not sure I could defer it), I'll frame it in the ways mentioned above.
Once again thanks for the advice :)