Gliclazide issues

cazm

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all, new to this site although battling T2 for about 9 years now. Wondering if anyone has had side affect from gliclazide such as mental health issues or anxiety problems etc ?

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hello cazm, I am also on the gliclazide and I do have anxiety problems, on many different levels.
I am feeling edgy at the moment while I am writing this. Does the medication have any particular signs to show how the anxiety starts?. I am on two other medications, metformin and victoza and there are side effects from the victoza are quite hindering on their own.

How would I go about finding out the level of effect it is having on me?, would it just be coming of it and seeing what happens with anxiety and my blood sugar levels? is there a blood test that can be done to show any abnormal levels in my blood/body?.
Daibetes medications seem to have so many side effects, after a while you don't wether you are doing right or wrong by taking them. I think I will have to go onto EMC to find out more through information about the drugs that I am taking, and look for any cross over and contra indications to the combination of all three. Well ttfn

cazm

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have no idea if there is a test to determine level. Can only say I was on it for 2 months up until last week and I gradually became so nervous and anxious for no reasons whatsoever. It started to affect my personality, I thought it was just me until I read about side affects and went back to my nurse. I believe if I had stuck with it I would have become an agoraphobic.. My nurse changed my prescription to a lower dose and a slow release one but to be honest I have not taken them, too scared too, was affecting my work ( on a check out in supermarket) and just generally being out in shops or any where for that matter. Was constantly edgy and tense and scared, not a good feeling at all. Still feel slightly nervy but my legs are no longer jellified lol. It also gave me extreme nausea to the point I was struggling to eat. I had tremors and heart racing too. On the good side it kept my bloods low. Have an appointment next week with nurse so will see what she has to say about taking myself of them. I think the worse thing was not being able to explain to my partner why I was feeling all this when I had no reason, was relieved it was medication and not me having mental health issues.

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Hello cazm, yes I have also taken myself off a diabetes drug, after seeing something about Januvia and the side effects. My blood sugar results went up in the air and stayed there until I went on the victoza, but now this is causing slow progress problems through my intestines, and causing constipation problems. So could my thyroid be affected by the victoza side effects? or is the diabetes medications affecting my thyroid problem, such fun having illness problems, we would be bored with out them, but a lot happier is we did'nt have them in the first place,

Well I lost the thread there, the gliclazide is making me edgy and snappy, also I have lost my patience so quickly at times, even I wonder were that has come from.
Life and medications don't always go together, and I some times don't want to go out and do stuff, if your nurse listens well to you, she will take on board what you are saying and there are more drugs that you could try, that might not have this type of side effect. I go reading EMC on the web, this site lets you research different drugs, and gives I think more information than a packet insert can give.
Well lets keep posting, ttfn

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm glad you are starting to feel better
let's hope the next med will help you Bg with min side effects.

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Hi jack412, thanks for the reply, and will do more research on these injectable drugs, I will keep reading the posts, and keep listening for information, ttfn

cazm

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Only been off gliclazide for about 9 days now, already feeling so much better, no nausea, still nervy and anxious about being out and about. Not realy made much difference to my bs readings either. Seeing my nurse Friday, will see what she has to say about it. I will refuse to go on any other meds though, happy on the metformin and watching what I eat. Lchf is really working for me. I hope your feeling better too.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I started having MHI after starting on Gliclazide and Statins. Went to see my DN who refered my to the GP. He looked at my prevous records and decided it wasn't due to my meds as I'd had bouts of depression in the past and precribed a course of anti depressants. I've since come off the Glic due to other issues (a large weight gain in a short amount of time) I still think that the meds contributed to the depression/anxiety and my own brain chemistry didn't help, we shall see once I start to reduce my dose.

cazm

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I started having MHI after starting on Gliclazide and Statins. Went to see my DN who refered my to the GP. He looked at my prevous records and decided it wasn't due to my meds as I'd had bouts of depression in the past and precribed a course of anti depressants. I've since come off the Glic due to other issues (a large weight gain in a short amount of time) I still think that the meds contributed to the depression/anxiety and my own brain chemistry didn't help, we shall see once I start to reduce my dose.
Hi, I definitely have anxiety in my makeup too, but was under control and in the past, I believe gliclazide bought it to the forefront.

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Hello to cazm and lessci, thank you for the replies and the further comments, it does seem that the gliclazide needs further investigation and a review, the weight is not moving and I am not a happy person. And the victoza is certainly having effects on my stomach and intestines, and what do you all think about the latest news regarding the High Fat Diet reports in the press and on this web site on the new posts??. The left hand and right hand are not on the same page on this one?

shezy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I lasted two days on Gliclazide. As wholemeal flour products gave me dreadful gas I had followed a semi low carb diet (which is higher fat & protein) a few years back but thanks to the British bake off my daughter got into cooking and our diet and weight changed, well it was nice to be cooked for. But it hasn't done me any good and I've just been diagnosed with Type 2. I was given Gliclazide and Metformin. But the headache/migraine had me hardly able to get my head off the pillow and my GP advised me to stop the Gliclazide straight away. Metformin is settling down no runs off to the loo yesterday but I'm to increase the daily dose in a couple of days. My low carb cook books are coming back out and I'm going back on the cauliflower rice and cauliflower mash (love both) in the hope I might be able to be meds free by next year.

Reactions: 2 people

cazm

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Update................Saw my DN last week, doing well, Since stopping Gliclazide my anxiety is almost disappeared, nausea gone too. Nurse agreed to give me no other meds apart from metformin for 3 months then review blood sugars. Hoping with the hflc diet that this will suffice. Obviously my bs have rose slightly since no Gliclazide, am researching other meds that will do the trick without terrible side effects. If anyone knows of any please let me know.