Hate blood tests!!

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snake oil salespeople and other slime who try to profit from our condition.
I hate the nurses taking my bloods. I end up like a pin cushion. They can never locate a vein properly, I have two full tattoo sleeves so they can see them and have to feel for them. For my A1c it took five attempts. Two in each arm and eventually got it out of the back of my wrist. Similar scenario when they did my fasting ones. I was stressed and sweating buckets. All though I am heavily tattooed with a near full body suit a hate the blood test needles!!
Maybe you need to tattoo a target around the right spot for the vein?

Reactions: 2 people

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
I have the same problem with ****** veins. Last week the Practice Nurse had a go, then the phlebotomist and then they sent me up to the hospital. If they had butterfly needles at the surgery I'd have been fine, but they don't use them there...never fails with a butterfly needle. Yesterday I pointed out a rather temperamental vein which sometimes works, right at the side of my arm - she got in first time. Generally I find that, if they listen to me and don't just go digging wherever they like, they will get it first or second go...if not, I end up at the hospital. Kind of annoying because it makes blood tests turn into a 2 hour ordeal and makes me spectacularly late for work.

steffy61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Having diabetes!
I've always dreaded blood tests as they can never find a vein but was advised to drink lots of water before going and its much better now....in and out in a few minutes :)

yoda

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes , Agreed Steffy ! I had the same issue! I drink 3 litres of water before I go in LOL . Veins pop up great !! :cool:

steffy61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Having diabetes!
Yes , Agreed Steffy ! I had the same issue! I drink 3 litres of water before I go in LOL . Veins pop up great !! :cool:
Downside is wanting the loo every 5 minutes after but its worth it lol

Human_8nimal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I too hate blood tests but unfortunately now it's a necessary evil. When I was recently diagnosed I ended up having three in the space of 24 hours. I have to lie down when they do it otherwise I will pass out and it doesn't help that they sometimes struggle to find a good site to take from, the last 2 were from my wrists.
I had really bad anxiety when it came to needles where upon the doctor gave me a surprise blood test back in June and it was those results that said I had diabetes (I was walking around with a blood sugar of 33). If I hadn't had that blood test then, I probably wouldn't be here now.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Beanz1975

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wanted some writing on my ribs but been told it's really painful....I really want it though!

gaz tred

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Beanz1975
The ribs really are not pleasant, however depends how much writing your going for? You could grin and bare it or you could numb it first with a topical anaesthetic like emla or ametop.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Maybe you need to tattoo a target around the right spot for the vein?
I have realy good veins that stand out for them laughs still hate them taking blood the antisipation of the dam results sends me nutsss arghhhh

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Being well Hydrated definatley helps at blood donor session you always get a pint of water before they "plug" you in. Phlebotomists seem to a better job too, possible because that's what they do all day. Just don't let a doctor try! (Unless they're an anaesthetist)

Tweetypie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders, control freaks, untidiness, ignorance.
I have to drink a ton of water but even then, they struggle. Have to say, it depends who I get. Next time I'm gonna ask for the one that always seems to get it straight away - in and out in a few minutes with her! Fortunately I am o.k with needles, but **** it hurts sometimes! Am a bit weird in that I quite like watching the blood go into the vial. not keen on watching the needle go in though