not feeling well

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ally, you really need to stop eating the things that aren't helping your BS levels. Bananas are worst fruit possible for a diabetic- full of carbs- a medium one has about 27g of carbs in so 3 a-day is more than I eat in total carbs and you are having that in snacks alone- why do you think cyclists and athletes pack them away? It is hard, but you have to start seeing these things as bad for you, certainly whilst your levels are so high. I am not sure what meds you take. but they are clearly not enough to deal with your sugar levels and it maybe that you have to seriously think about insulin if you can't bring them down.No med is going to overcome the effects of a high carb diet in the long term as no one wants to be on ever increasing amounts of insulin. Your GP needs to pull his finger out, and sort out a meter and the right medication but you have to meet this disease half way and deal with your weight and diet. He can't do that bit for you.

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
What discussion took place regarding medication Ally? I don't understand why your GP with levels at 30 did not alter drugs... Did you have any discussion about meds at all?

Reactions: 3 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ally, the others are right about the bananas - please say you have had the last one. If you need something sweet after a meal, have 5 small strawberries with cream or a full fat plain yogurt.

I don't want to nag you when you are in such a mess, so enough said.

Good idea to ask your neighbour to go with you on Thursday, and if your new meter hasn't arrived make sure your incompetent doctor does a test. Be assertive and ask again for a meter and strips on prescription. Do make that appointment with the nurse and ask for an urgent one.

this is too difficult two

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would go
Ally, the others are right about the bananas - please say you have had the last one. If you need something sweet after a meal, have 5 small strawberries with cream or a full fat plain yogurt.

I don't want to nag you when you are in such a mess, so enough said.

Good idea to ask your neighbour to go with you on Thursday, and if your new meter hasn't arrived make sure your incompetent doctor does a test. Be assertive and ask again for a meter and strips on prescription. Do make that appointment with the nurse and ask for an urgent one.
I would go further. Don't have anything

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Ally I do geel for you and know you desperate, but even 1 doughnut last week and bananas isn't doing yourself any favours..you also got to take lowering your carbs serious...

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I geel for you too Donald.

Ooops.. Typo tiredness!!

I do really FEEL for Ally but sorry, a doughnut is not good, especially as this is not the first time Ally been in a&e, and it is at weekends.. So something is the causation.... Lack of right meds isn't helping... But to get down to 9 and then up to 30 is telling me again that there is not a long term food plan being followed.

I support Ally to improve her health, but this does not all seem to me to be just a gp ill advising on meds...Ally too needs to get her codefree replaced if it isn't working and to really attempt to buckle down to eating better choices. There has been lots of advice to Ally previously from poster here and nowhere did it say eat doughnut or bananas.

Reactions: 2 people

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Ally. How are you? Are you feeling any better today? :)

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Ally, reading through this I do wonder if you are eating more carbs than you realise. Have you tried actually totting up all the carbs you have in a day. You might want to consider writing down everything you eat or drink, today say, and then spend some time on the internet working out what the total carbs were in each item. Either google carb counter sites, use supermarket sites for shop bought products, or other here can probably point you at carb counter sites if you don't know them already.

You might be surprised at how many you do have, or if it turns out low you can take it in to your doctor or nurse to show them. Try and be honest on it, you don't need to share it with anyone if you don't want to, so you are only fooling yourself if you miss out any items you know to be bad. Of course if you want to share, I am sure that people here would be happy to advise.

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi ally- hope you are ok today and feel better? Remember we are here to support you. None of this is easy, we have to miss things we really would like but I always prefer to see lower steady levels than risk having something and can honestly say staying low carb has made me feel so different that it's obvious the carbs were the problem, even my digestive system is totally different now, all after only 12 weeks. I know it gets hard at times, try and focus on getting in control and back to those single figures you had- and don't disappear on us!!

Tracieo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
HI Ally, how are you feeling today? I know how hard it is to give up bananas I was eating four a day - now none. Missing them though.

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
I also had to give up bananas,Hope you feel better today.

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
I must be the lucky one, I hate bananas! I'm more of an apple person. Do you like rhubarb or berries, Ally? They are a better low carb choice for diabetics. Hope you get yourself sorted soon.

Caterham

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In managing this thing we have we have all had to change our diets. I used to love bananas, and have one every day. I have not had one since diagnosis, because I want to be in control of this and not deteriorate. It does get easier with time, you do forget foods you used to enjoy, although it does take time. I know you are not getting quite the care you need, but my view has always been that my doctor does not have diabetes, but I do, and I need to help myself. I do lapse occasionally, but not very often.

Good luck with all this, it isn't easy, but it is is possible, and the rewards are brilliant.

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Ally

You have got a lot of good advice on here so don't want to add anymore but I want to give you and example and its me UNFORTUNATELY
Before I knew I had Diabetes I used to eat a lot of fruits, I was crazy about them and used to end up having and I would not lie to you about 2 to 3 bananas, 4 to 6 oranges, 1 to 2 apples and other things like berries and all in a single day. I used to spend about 20 pounds a week only on my fruits shopping. When I got checked I came up at 16.2, being Indian I am used to my flat bread and rice, I cut everything right down, I have not had a banana or apple or orange or rice since my diagnosis and I came down from 16.2 to now comfortably in 5's all day in about a month. I came from 16 to 7 in a week time if that encourages you :)

I really hope you can cut these down, I dont know but I may suggest you to note down everything you eat so I have a diary in which i write down the date and first thing is my fasting sugar then what I had for breakfast then reading after 2 hours then before lunch reading and write down what exactly i had for lunch then 2 hours after another reading goes in and then readings just before my dinner and what all i ate and after dinner figure.

Try this for just a week and cut right down on all forms of carbs and sugars as much as you possibly can and see if that helps.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
thank you all for being so honest
i,ve got an appointment with the diabetic nurse on the 24th
i,ve to write down everything i eat and drink
that way the nurse can guide me where i,m going wrong

Reactions: 7 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Do you want to share your food diary with us, or at least part of it?

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
I have a feeling s/he's probably going to give you the same advice that your friends here have been offering. I wonder if it's worth (in the meantime) reading through some of the suggestions again and just making sure you've captured them all? Sadly, even though we all want to help, we can't do this for you - only you can act on the advice. I know it's not easy - i've battled with food issues my entire life. Best of luck with your appointment and making the changes you need x

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Ally. That sounds really positive. Brilliant. I use myfitnesspal.com to help me check calories, carbohydrates and exercise. I hope you have a better day:)