My dad has type 2 diabetes & is losing weight

Eternal

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My dad has been on Metformin 850mg & Gliclazide 80mg for around 10 years. Recently I started to notice weight loss with him. He was 80 kilos last year & now he is 70.
Last month he started to get hypoglycaemic attacks, he has only had one attack in the pass but last month he had two. His sugar levels had dropped to 2.3 this was because he had eaten too much figs & then had a bad bout of diarrhoea . His sugar levels have been up & down. He never used to check his sugar levels only during check ups .
I took him to his GP yesterday & he suggested he stopped the Gliclazide to see if this helps. He is also having other things checked out.
This is really stressing me, can this be from the medication or is there a underlying illness? Has this happened to anyone else? I am desperate for answers :(

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm just guessing, so listen to Dr...
I guess your dad didn't set out to lose weight? and that will be worked out....has he had a change of diet, type of food, size of meal or more exercise?
I think, because he is hypo, it could be a good thing as far as his diabetes goes..a drop in weight will make your dad's insulin work better and reducing the gliclazide sounds a good idea to me to try

Eternal

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No my dad is not dieting he is 79, he eats quite well. No change in diet either. He does have Angina too & is also anaemic. Thanks for getting back. Reading the Internet is driving me crazy :/

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
as far as 'Dr google' goes, everyone will be dead next week from a brain tumour or heart attack..so wait for the blood tests and other tests the dr will do before you get in a panic from what you read on the net and forums.

why your dad is losing weight if he's not trying..I don't know
as far as your dads diabetes and gliclazide goes, it's good.

Eternal

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
He is having his stool checked out for blood & if blood is found a emergency scan. If no blood scan 3-4 weeks. Internet is terrifying , Pancreas C is coming up which is devastating :(

3 days for his hard stool test results!

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Hi, Welcome :)

Glad you found the main forum Eternal hehe

I agree with Jack, the weight loss may be making him less insulin resistant therefore requiring him to take less meds but only the doctor can make that call, no ideas on the weight loss though :( try not to panic, its usually not as bad as it seems, all the best

Eternal

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks! You guys are much younger then my dad so drugs effect people in different ways right?

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
60 for me, I'd like to be a hell of a lot more younger than your dad, than I am :)

Eternal

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If only I could afford private! I will do my best to get to the bottom of this. My dad is everything to me!