Shower or antiseptic wipe before insertion?

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello

When I started the pump we were told we had to shower just before a cannula change, dry thoroughly and then insert. We were told this was because it prevents infection and also makes insertion less painful. We were also told not to use wipes because any alcohol dries the skin out and wipes can prevent the set sticking correctly. So I have always done this but it's a pain because the whole process takes much longer due to including shower and drying etc.

I noticed on a post the other day a reference to using a wipe before insertion and wondered if some people wipe rather than shower? If so what wipes do you use that don't stop sets sticking?

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Where do you stick these things?
If a shower does the job and it's your arm say ... just wash the arm no?

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
if the timing is right then I would shower before a change, but it doesn't happen very often..........

I don't make any attempt to clean the site before hand though...........I would imagine this would be to stop infection etc, thats all I can think of to be honest............

why else would you....?

Reactions: 2 people

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@JACKTHELAD I use the sides of my tummy all the way round to my hips and then the area between my ribs and waistline so not so easy as an arm just to wash. Not impossible though!

@novorapidboi26 have you ever had any infections at site? I'm wondering if my DSN was being OTT but she did scare us all with horror stories of infected sites too :confused:

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
@JACKTHELAD I use the sides of my tummy all the way round to my hips and then the area between my ribs and waistline so not so easy as an arm just to wash. Not impossible though!

@novorapidboi26 have you ever had any infections at site? I'm wondering if my DSN was being OTT but she did scare us all with horror stories of infected sites too :confused:
Boy am I glad I'm a boring T2.
Love n peas.

Reactions: 4 people

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
I either shower or, if that doesn't coincide, I just wipe over the insertion area with a piece of wet kitchen roll and dry well. In 3 years I've had no problems with sites doing it this way. Used to buy the little antiseptic wipes but they dry the skin so I don't bother now - just clean with water.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
They were very OTT about sterility when I trained .
Washing hands using proper techniques(only using a clean towel to dry). Everything put out on a little plastic one use mat . Site swabbed with chlorhexidine from a one use vial on a sterile gauze swab.
I never did get prescribed the little mat . I do get the chlorhexidine and the gauze prescribed (have to pay for them though as they aren't reimbursed here) and normally use them most but certainly not all the time. (so far no infections)

H

Hooked

Hello

When I started the pump we were told we had to shower just before a cannula change, dry thoroughly and then insert. We were told this was because it prevents infection and also makes insertion less painful. We were also told not to use wipes because any alcohol dries the skin out and wipes can prevent the set sticking correctly. So I have always done this but it's a pain because the whole process takes much longer due to including shower and drying etc.

I noticed on a post the other day a reference to using a wipe before insertion and wondered if some people wipe rather than shower? If so what wipes do you use that don't stop sets sticking?

I've only been pumping a few months, no problems yet.
If the timing is right, I do a set change after a bath/shower. If not, I use an alcohol swab. So long as you give it time to dry completely I can't see an issue with it causing the cannula not to stick properly. Occasionally I forget to swab, and have lived to tell the tale.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I don't do anything at all. I try to change after baths, but if I don't then I never clean skin area with wipes etc..
Never had an infection. My skin, my germs.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I read that thread title and thought I had wandered onto entirely the wrong forum! :)

Reactions: 5 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I didn't bother at first but after getting a few canula site infections in the first 1-2 months of pumping I now swab the area with an antiseptic wipe and wait a minute or so for it to air-dry.

As for showering, I have never showered for a canula change. I do always wonder exactly how the hell I am supposed to take a shower and in particular what to do with the loose tube (I try to tuck it into the belt clip of the detached pump, with variable success). I suspect some genius came up with the first idea (shower for a set change) to get of having to explain how to shower *without* changing the set. I'd be interested in any suggestions about how to do that. I don't remember there being any shower cubicles at my pump training course. :)

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't see your problem, I just take my pump off for a shower, cover the cannula with the little cap (well I do for a bath or swimming not so much for a shower) The tubing is left attached to the pump which I put somewhere either in the bedroom or the bathroom. If I'm at a public pool then I just put the whole thing in a locker. In campsite or gite type showers I can usually find somewhere safe in the cubicle The biggest problem I've had is by the sea trying to make sure that it is out of sight and that sand isn't going to get into it.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh yeah the little caps! I forgot about those. Doh.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
For a shower I just unclip cannula and put pump in the sink with tubing hanging overboard. Have never bothered with the clips never had an infection and change cannula before lunch, if I've been gardening then I would use a swab to be on the safe side.

Last edited by a moderator:

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Its sound advice when you think about it, but in the year I have been pumping I have had no infection on my sites and I don't religiously clean the sites before hand, unless it visibly dirty of course...:)

niknak15

My consult and DSN said aslong as there's no physical dirt and your not dirty ( like you have just been in the muddy field with the dog) then it should be ok just to insert without cleaning