Diet

this is too difficult two

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks so much to all of you that replied to me,yes there is another nurse,i will be seeing her in October,I will be keeping on with my eating plan.i intend to try and keep my blood sugars down I had two 3.5 reading this week I was really surprised,i have never had such good levels,thanks again to you all,I feel better about my results now,sue
3.5 is very low. What do you eat on a typical day?

pipsy2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
DIABETES
Thank you, I will see my diabetic nurse in October I am sure she will be pleased if I keep my blood sugars down thanks again I have been diabetic for 20 years,i started on diet,then on to tablets,i am currently on 4 metformin s/r and four gliclazide, these are the full dosage,i have tried actos,and siplagliptan sorry I don't know how to spell that one,these tablets gave me bad side effects including blindness for ten seconds,so I am trying my best ,I hope I can stay off needles for as long as I can,sue

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I never argue with my DN. She is enlightened about diet and allows me to make the decisions regarding my treatment. Having said that I did not consult her about my diet before I did it. I arrived in our meeting one day to discuss my Hba1c which was down from 68 to 42. This was a most eloquent argument which she thought was brilliant.

My point is that if you turn up with good Hba1c results and you can do it again and again then quite a lot of the steam is taken out of the DN's opinion. It doesn't matter if she approves or not.

Reactions: 4 people

pipsy2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
DIABETES
Hi, I eat two Weetabix with semi skimmed milk,lunch ham or cheese weight watcher bread two or three rounds and dinner steak salad and a baked potato,and some fruit later on I don't eat after my last meal,sue

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
QUOTE="pipsy2014, post: 632795, member: 124653"]Thank you, I will see my diabetic nurse in October I am sure she will be pleased if I keep my blood sugars down thanks again I have been diabetic for 20 years,i started on diet,then on to tablets,i am currently on 4 metformin s/r and four gliclazide, these are the full dosage,i have tried actos,and siplagliptan sorry I don't know how to spell that one,these tablets gave me bad side effects including blindness for ten seconds,so I am trying my best ,I hope I can stay off needles for as long as I can,sue[/QUOTE]

Blindness for 10 seconds does not sound good.[

pipsy2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
DIABETES
I never argue with my DN. She is enlightened about diet and allows me to make the decisions regarding my treatment. Having said that I did not consult her about my diet before I did it. I arrived in our meeting one day to discuss my Hba1c which was down from 68 to 42. This was a most eloquent argument which she thought was brilliant.

My point is that if you turn up with good Hba1c results and you can do it again and again then quite a lot of the steam is taken out of the DN's opinion. It doesn't matter if she approves or not.

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I eat two Weetabix with semi skimmed milk,lunch ham or cheese weight watcher bread two or three rounds and dinner steak salad and a baked potato,and some fruit later on I don't eat after my last meal,sue
That is quite high carb. If I ate that my BG would be much higher than yours seems to be.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

If you are going to eat two Weetabix (as I do) then you might as well have full fat milk or even cream with them. Eating Weetabix with semi skimmed is neither one thing or the other. I know nothing about weight watcher bread but so far if I go in the same room as anything called bread then I get high readings. The baked potato should be tested to see if it raises your sugar levels. Some potatoes do and some potatoes don't.

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks so much to all of you that replied to me,yes there is another nurse,i will be seeing her in October,I will be keeping on with my eating plan.i intend to try and keep my blood sugars down I had two 3.5 reading this week I was really surprised,i have never had such good levels,thanks again to you all,I feel better about my results now,sue
When do you test your BG?

pipsy2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
DIABETES
oh dear Pipsy thats awful. Well done for doing so well. I agree with Bluetit , is there another nurse you can see? ;):)
Yes there is another nurse,i am seeing her in October,could you tell me what the HbA1C is I know its a blood reading,ive been diabetic for 20 years and ive never been told what it is,my nurse has never mentioned it to me,please help,thank you.

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes there is another nurse,i am seeing her in October,could you tell me what the HbA1C is I know its a blood reading,ive been diabetic for 20 years and ive never been told what it is,my nurse has never mentioned it to me,please help,thank you.
Report the nurse to the police.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
simply, HbA1C is the measurement of sugar stuck to red blood cells, the more sugar in your blood, the more sugar that sticks to the blood cell.
red blood cells live about 3 months, so that is why they do the test every 3 months

going by your diet, you are doing well with your blood glucose level now and you don't have many problems with it. please don't tell us what you were eating before, but it sounds like it was washed down with a Litre of real coke :)

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
If you are going to eat two Weetabix (as I do) then you might as well have full fat milk or even cream with them. Eating Weetabix with semi skimmed is neither one thing or the other. I know nothing about weight watcher bread but so far if I go in the same room as anything called bread then I get high readings. The baked potato should be tested to see if it raises your sugar levels. Some potatoes do and some potatoes don't.

Weetabix with semi skimmed milk sounds fine to me. With cream? That doesn't sound normal personally. That's just loading up empty calories.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, it was the semi skimmed milk that caught my eye. The meal seemed High Carb and Low Fat and I wondered why the semi skimmed. Unless it is just preferred for taste of course.

While posting on another thread I looked up diet doctor and was delighted to read this. I had not read it before I posted what I said earlier.

"
  • Dairy products: Always select full-fat options like real butter, cream (40% fat), sour cream, Greek/Turkish yogurt and high-fat cheeses. Be careful with regular milk and skim milk as they contain a lot of milk sugar. Avoid flavored, sugary and low-fat products."

Last edited by a moderator:
A

AnnieC

HI, on listening to some other member who suggested that I try the low carb diet to lose weight,well I cant manage the diet,so I changed my eating plan,and dropped my bloods from eight to 4 2,and I have held the low count for more than ten days,i went to see the nurse for a sore wrist,i mentioned my results,i told her I was not taking Actos any more,i was going to manage my diabetes with my diet,she told me that diabetes is a progressive disease, she said it doesn't matter what my blood reading are,the only ones that count are the HB ones,i thought I was doing real good,ive never had my bloods so low,and then you get kicked in the teeth,for all my efforts.
You are doing really well in keeping your BG under control so well done the nurses comment was very negative

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I always have the low fat options, and I don't particularly low carb either. Just low GI/GL, portion control, and exercise. I find I have good BS results, and good weight control, and better tolerance of carbs.

@pipsy2014 if you are happy with the diet you are eating now, and think it's one you can continue on, if you do keep getting lows, review your meds with your doctor, and see if they consider it worth dropping the gliclazide dosage.

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, it was the semi skimmed milk that caught my eye. The meal seemed High Carb and Low Fat and I wondered why the semi skimmed. Unless it is just preferred for taste of course.

While posting on another thread I looked up diet doctor and was delighted to read this. I had not read it before I posted what I said earlier.

"
  • Dairy products: Always select full-fat options like real butter, cream (40% fat), sour cream, Greek/Turkish yogurt and high-fat cheeses. Be careful with regular milk and skim milk as they contain a lot of milk sugar. Avoid flavored, sugary and low-fat products."
And be careful of the value grated cheese ... It contains potato starch.

nooboots

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
yes, I said that in my first post and will adjust my last post
about 50% of T2 will be on insulin within 6-10 years of diagnosis
http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Diabetes_and_insulin

and most people will finish up on insulin if they live long enough
http://www.australianprescriber.com/magazine/27/4/93/6/
Almost all patients with type 2 diabetes will eventually fail to respond adequately to oral hypoglycaemic drugs and will require insulin therapy.

A more common problem is when and how to commence insulin in patients with type 2 diabetes who are in 'secondary failure'. The term secondary failure refers to the 'failure' of oral hypoglycaemic drugs to maintain glycaemic control. The United Kingdom Prospective Diabetes Study (UKPDS)1 clearly showed that most people with type 2 diabetes will experience progressive pancreatic β cell dysfunction, despite excellent control. The secondary failure rate in this study was 44% after six years of diabetes. Since the time of the UKPDS, targets for glycaemic control have become increasingly stringent so secondary failure of oral hypoglycaemic drugs now occurs much sooner and is almost invariable.

This is a bit depressing, do you think that these statistics are mainly because we as a society are very bad at controlling our diabetes? Im wondering what the stats would be if the studies were ONLY of people who took control of their illness and got their BS levels down,, would the illness progress negatively for them I wonder?

Reactions: 4 people

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
'50% of Type 2 will be on insulin within 6-10 years of diagnosis, and most will progress to insulin eventually. The thing to remember is that 'most' diabetics aren't on this forum, and therefore 'most' are probably following the general guidelines and eating a balanced plate, loaded with carbs each meal.

As I have heard quoted 'There are lies, d*** lies and statistics'

Reactions: 5 people