Question for the ladies

manicarrie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I am not pregnant, but figured this might be the best place to ask a ladies question. I have noticed a lot of women commenting on getting hypos a lot in early pregnancy due to hormonal changes. What I want to know, is do any of you suffer with more hypos than usual on your period? I have asked my doctors this, as I figured the hormones may affect my blood, I mean, if stress can, then surely hormones can? I wake up hypo nearly every day of this week, definitely the first 5 out of 7

manicarrie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just did some more scouting round and found out that it can go either way, but no one knows why. I am due tomorrow and my bg showing so high, my meter won't read it! Never tested just before, usually too grumpy and feeling ****** so give myself a 'day off'. But regular as clockwork I am down on the mornings, and unstable through the day. At least now I know it doesn't affect just me :) even I f I t does affect us all in different ways, just like everything else

Tweetypie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders, control freaks, untidiness, ignorance.
Interesting one, In the week preceding my period, I usually have higher levels generally and have to be careful. Once I have got my period, I get lower levels and sometimes crave chocolate and can usually afford myself a bit of indulgence. Then, back to the usual and so on it goes.........

I am on the pill, femodene and plan to come off this altogether as I believe it may make the blood sugars worse, due to the synthetic artificial hormones.

pdjenna

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi

I tend to need to increase by insulin intake two or three days before my period - then i get random unexplained hypos as well as the normal cravings for everything i really dont want to eat normally!

manicarrie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Tweetypie, and pdjenna, yes I get the cravings and random hypos too, but also random going the other way, for example I had a reading of 13.1 before tea, and 9.6 after tea. An hour later, I had eaten nothing else, it jumped up to 24.6! Yet the next day, I pretty much had the same tea, similar readings, except half hour after my after tea reading of 8.8 I felt the usual, checked, was 3.3. As for just before that week, in the run up, I can't say if I have ever been up as I feel that rubbish with pmt I leave the blood checking for a couple of days