(Non) trigger finger when testing

manicarrie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Him does anyone else get the anti trigger finger when testing? When you are all primed and ready to go, but just can't make yourself press that button to do the finger prick? If so, how do you get round it? I honestly find this one of the worst parts, I much prefer injecting insulin than doing this. In fact, I even prefer going the the gp for a blood test than doing this!

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I used to get it when I started. I got it again recently when I started doing CGM sensor insertions. I count to 3 and commit that I am definitely going do to it on 3. At about the 2 count I distract myself suddenly by looking away or thinking about something else so I am "doing it without thinking". That's my technique anyway. After a while you forget and it's easy, second nature.

Good luck!

manicarrie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks :) I either try to 'surprise myself' by looking at something else/talking to someone/ reading something and just doing it, or I get my hubby or son to do it when it really won't happen, but naturally I am often on my own, and can't just run up to some random stranger waving my clicker yelling 'press this! It's for my blood ' :)

H

Hooked

Try breathing out when you go to press it. Dunno why it works for me, but does for injections, finger pricks and pump set insertions. I think I heard somewhere once that it releases tension and makes it less likely to feel pain, but don't know how true that is. Worth a try.

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
bite your tongue, stop biting when you have pushed the button..that sounds like motivation to me :)
do you have the softclik or similar where you spring load it and a button release? I found that easier

manicarrie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah I
bite your tongue, stop biting when you have pushed the button..that sounds like motivation to me :)
do you have the softclik or similar where you spring load it and a button release? I found that easier
yeah I have one where you pull the top and then press a button, its jyliat making my thumb do that press, and it still makes me jump and swear when I manage to do it

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ok, as you know, just a matter on time then
I've read about stamping your foot as you do it too
do you have the setting turned down so you have to milk the drop out, you don't want to go too deep

H

Hooked

BTW, I got an Accucheck Fastclix finger pricking device and find it much, much more gentle than the one I was using previously. Might be worth trying one of those to help.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I suffer chronic pain syndrome due to damaged nerves.
Strange thing ... I prick myself and if I hardly feel anything I know the reading will be good/low.
If I jump with pain I know the reading will be high.
What's that all about?

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
BTW, I got an Accucheck Fastclix finger pricking device and find it much, much more gentle than the one I was using previously. Might be worth trying one of those to help.
I have one of those, you're right it is a good pen. the only thing I don't like the pen biro click on top, the multiclik is also the drum and push release button and might be worth a try

Danaemac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who think they know what you need before you do
I find the fast clix the best finger pricker absolutely love it and really doesn't hurt I love it so much I want a spare but don't seem to be able to buy them anymore anyone any ideas where I could purchase a spare . Not that I'm really going to need it much when the libre finally makes an Appearance

manicarrie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I tried the foot stamping, and it worked :) still made me swear mind, I do have my one down as low as I can and still manage to get blood, any lower and I have to re do. It's not so much the pain part as the pressing the button. Though sore fingers later does do my head in, especially when picking up a cup of tea :)

manicarrie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Strange thing ... I prick myself and if I hardly feel anything I know the reading will be good/low.
What's that all about?
What you said, reminded me that I have no problems doing it at all and it hardly hurts when I feel myself going hypo and it is below 3.9

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
To be honest I don't find any fingerprickers hurt once you have the depth set to your own comfort level. I don't get this idea of "better" finger prickers or lancets. But maybe that's just me. For me the hesitation with a finger prick or needle is all psychological, not due to actual pain. Fear maybe but not actual pain.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What's that all about?

Maybe your chronic pain syndrome is worse with higher BG levels?

H

Hooked

To be honest I don't find any fingerprickers hurt once you have the depth set to your own comfort level. I don't get this idea of "better" finger prickers or lancets. But maybe that's just me. For me the hesitation with a finger prick or needle is all psychological, not due to actual pain. Fear maybe but not actual pain.

My last one came with my iBGStar and was set to the lowest setting. Sometimes it was just mildly painful, other times it felt like it was gonna take the whole finger off and would leave bruising. I had two of them, both did the same, so not just a faulty one. The new one I have is perfect.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find the fast clix the best finger pricker absolutely love it and really doesn't hurt I love it so much I want a spare but don't seem to be able to buy them anymore anyone any ideas where I could purchase a spare . Not that I'm really going to need it much when the libre finally makes an Appearance
@Danaemac I like mine so much that I do have a spare :) - I was able to find a couple of places on line that sold them earlier this year, but it was actually much cheaper to look for an accuchek kit that comes with the fastclix and get it this way. I think I found that the nano was very cheap on Amazon at the time - so check around.

Robbity

bearMedicine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dieting :)
I stopped using the spring loader and do it with a lancet by hand. Now I know exactly how deep to go and I have much less bruising and pain. I think maybe because there isn't that SHOCK :) it feels more like my injection and I agree the injection is much easier!

manicarrie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I know I posted this yonks ago, but... I have found a 'better' finger pricker. Can't remember the name, it came with the Freestyle Insulinx, it doesn't go with the big 'bang' that my other one did, it's more like being flicked, but gets the blood out. I tried all adjustments on both and it's definitely the spring than the depth :)