Recently Diagnosed with high HBA1c level

greenybeany

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dear All,

I am still recovering from the shock for getting this information from my consultant last week. I was actually been referred for a cardiac check up as I have some chest pains and other stuff. He, amongst some other blood checks, recommended HBA1c test.
Suprisingly, the rest of the blood tests and a couple of other tests related to heart came back fine, but out of blue, I was informed of the elevated level of HBA1c to 42.
I most certainly didnot expect this!
Main reason is that in last 1 year I have reduced by almost 10 kgs by eating more healthy and doing fast walking for 30 mins for 4-5 days a week. And still this result!! I am only 42,, a yr ago my weight was 73 kg and I have managed to come down to 63 kgs with a height of 5ft 2in
I have taken a GP appt to discuss further steps, however I am at a loss at what to do!
The cardiac consultant advised my that at this stage I should concentrate on diet and excercise only.
SO I am very closely following the Atkins diet with low carbs (less than 50g per day) and moderate fat and protein. Lost a kilo in 4-5 day.

Now here is something in the back of my mind. I was doing pretty regular walks and healthy eating tll last week of July. After that next 3 weeks practically no walking and less strict eating (but still tried not to eat too much of carbs, but had a couple of bananas almost everyday apart from everything) In fact while I was losing around a kg per month earlier, during this period, I didnt lose any or may actually had gained. The HBA1c test was done almost 3-4 weeks in to this slack period.

Can this long period of slackness after my relatively active and healthy few months cause the BG to rise? Or would it have happened anyways?

ONE more question (promise it is going to be the last) : Will weight-loss stall this condition? Ideally I dont want medication and want to lose some 5-6 kgs more with my current lifestyle (Although this very low carbing is not sustainable longterm in my opinion, but I would anyways stay away from the bad carbs in the foreseeable future.)

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, ask lots of questions
42 or 6% in old numbers is the upper side of normal..relax, you aren't even prediabetic, you can do your version of atkins, 50g of carbs from vegetables is good for you, high/moderate healthy fat is good, I would only have normal amount of protein.60g

this is worth reading and watching the video
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 people

greenybeany

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks jack, yes I am stressing a bit, however reading various posts in this forum has confirmed that the diet plan that I intend to follow may help to stall the condition at this stage (or may be not, if i am unlucky).

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
An HbA1c of 42 is very borderline between non-diabetic and pre-diabetic, and a long way off diabetic, so panic not. You are doing the right things by losing weight and eating low carbs. Your test may have been weighted towards the latter end of the 3 month average and your 3 to 4 week period of not doing things quite right may have had a small effect on the result, but don't clutch at straws. Take it as accurate. Buy yourself a home testing meter and keep an eye on your levels at fasting (immediately you get out of bed) and some pre and post meals and bedtimes. We can help you understand the readings if you post them on the forum.

Your BMI is almost in the normal range, but maybe a few more pounds loss will make a difference Continue as you are doing and good luck.