Newly Diagnosed with prediabetes

K

Kat100

Thanks Kat.

Your case illustrates how even when eating well and exercising one can still get struck down with this. I can understand the doctor not being too concerned with a second blood test being normal as people do get a higher then normal from time to time due to all sorts of reasons.
Hi William you are welcome , I know the body is such a complex science ...no straightforward answers a lot of the time ....

K

Kat100

On the negative side, seeing a dr as not being to concerned....allows to much damage to other organs to become damaged ......

collectingrocks

Hey Vicky

I was pre-diabetic, changed my diet, lost 3 stone and got back in the normal range. So it can be done - and you can do it with enough willpower. You will get all the information you need from this forum, feel free to look and ask - no question is a stupid one.. Glad you cut out the fizzy drinks, that is an excellent start. I surprised myself because when I cut down/gave up on bread, I thought it would be so difficult: I work long hours and lived out of Greggs most evenings with sandwiches and cake to see me through work.

It took me a year to set myself straight so you need to be patient and take your time.

vicky72

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey Vicky

I was pre-diabetic, changed my diet, lost 3 stone and got back in the normal range. So it can be done - and you can do it with enough willpower. You will get all the information you need from this forum, feel free to look and ask - no question is a stupid one.. Glad you cut out the fizzy drinks, that is an excellent start. I surprised myself because when I cut down/gave up on bread, I thought it would be so difficult: I work long hours and lived out of Greggs most evenings with sandwiches and cake to see me through work.

It took me a year to set myself straight so you need to be patient and take your time.
Hubby has taken over the cooking.....he has his head stuck in low carb cooking books all the time. Makes life a little easier when you team up and make is a family life style change. We have a catering company and have jiffy vans, chocolate, pastries, Bread and the dreaded Cherry Coke....its hell BUT I have not had any for nearly 1 week !!

collectingrocks

Hubby has taken over the cooking.....he has his head stuck in low carb cooking books all the time. Makes life a little easier when you team up and make is a family life style change. We have a catering company and have jiffy vans, chocolate, pastries, Bread and the dreaded Cherry Coke....its hell BUT I have not had any for nearly 1 week !!

OMG, how will you cope with all this temptation around you !!? 6.3 is not too bad so look on the bright side, you have less work to do than some people I know but don't be complacent. Yes, best to give up the coke altogether - and any soft drink. Glad hubby is involved to give you a bit of encouragement

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Diabetic Lunches.
Could be a new line to sell must be loads of folks out there who would love to have a ready made snack from you.

Reactions: 6 people

vicky72

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
OMG, how will you cope with all this temptation around you !!? 6.3 is not too bad so look on the bright side, you have less work to do than some people I know but don't be complacent. Yes, best to give up the coke altogether - and any soft drink. Glad hubby is involved to give you a bit of encouragement

I haven't had any soft drinks or any drink a part from water for a dew weeks. I fond its better to cut it all out completely then the temptation is gone. Its a nightmare having it all stones throw away BUT I have been good and intend to stay that way. I have about 5 stone to shift so lo carb all the way and hopefully stay the right side the healthy.

Reactions: 2 people

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
No harm in asking the lads/lasses on the jiffy truck to put a few feelers out, I know where my other half works there are a couple of diabetics who would love not to have to muck about with sandwich boxes especially in the hot weather or come to that the winter too.

vicky72

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just done my first home reading and I haven't eating anything since this morning (9am) and it was 5.7. My fasting test at the doctors was 6.2 so im thinking the Low Carb and No processed sugar is working ? ??

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Vicky

Well done on your progress so far.

I know some of the changes you have to do in your diet are not easy especially if for professional reasons you are surrounded by temptation all day.

This is the time to make the necessary changes to keep diabetes away. Once you develop the dreaded D is too late. All you can do then is manage it.

I read that you have a bit of weight to lose. Paradoxically that is good news. Shift that and as your body fat percentage decreases your body should be less insulin resistant and able to utilize the insulin you produce better in getting glucose from the carbs you consume out of your blood stream and into your cells where it belongs. You may then be able to to tolerate a slightly more "normal" diet.

For now though keep watching those carbs!

Good luck and keep up the good work!

Pavlos

vicky72

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Vicky

Well done on your progress so far.

I know some of the changes you have to do in your diet are not easy especially if for professional reasons you are surrounded by temptation all day.

This is the time to make the necessary changes to keep diabetes away. Once you develop the dreaded D is too late. All you can do then is manage it.

I read that you have a bit of weight to lose. Paradoxically that is good news. Shift that and as your body fat percentage decreases your body should be less insulin resistant and able to utilize the insulin you produce better in getting glucose from the carbs you consume out of your blood stream and into your cells where it belongs. You may then be able to to tolerate a slightly more "normal" diet.

For now though keep watching those carbs!

Good luck and keep up the good work!

Pavlos

Thank you. Its hard because I now have to think about what im eating and to be honest that is the hardest bit. Normally you grab something and don't give it a second thought. But I am quite enjoying trying new things, and things I didn't think I liked. Its not the best news I've heard from the Doctor BUT its information that has saved my life and given me the kick up the **** I needed. I was the unlucky one (the 1%) that nearly died having a lap band fitted and lost my spleen because of it. The band was fitted but didn't work !!! Just my luck lol I am doing it the right way now and so is my hubby and 2 beautiful daughters.....

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
One more bid of advise, if you can fit some light exercise such as walking for 30-45 minutes into your daily routine, you will be amazed at the benefits it brings about, both directly on glucose levels and indirectly on weight loss and general well being.

Pavlos

P.S. Rotten luck with the band

vicky72

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning... I have just done a BG test and its 6.9. That was higher then yesterday after eating. Should I be worried its so high in the morning? I didn't eat anything from yesterday lunch time as my daughter was organising a charity event. I little confusing....

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@ Vicky72

Like you I was diagnosed with pre diabetes , about a year and a half ago. Like you I didnt get any real help from my doctor. By following the LCHF way of eating I lost 40 Kg [88lbs], my blood glucose is now in the "normal region and my lipid profile is excellent. In the beginning it was a bit difficult to get used to [ I didnt do it properly ] but later I got the hang of it and now its just simple.

Just read plenty, ask plenty of questions , be tough and determined and you will get great results.

My FBG at diagnosis was 120 mg/dl that about 6.66 mmoles /l, so already you have a head start on what I had.

Go for it ,and always remember that "when the going gets tough, the tough get going".

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning... I have just done a BG test and its 6.9. That was higher then yesterday after eating. Should I be worried its so high in the morning? I didn't eat anything from yesterday lunch time as my daughter was organising a charity event. I little confusing....

It is probably because you were in starvation mode not having eaten anything since yesterday lunch. When this happens our livers produce glucose to keep us going. This is known as a liver dump, or the Dawn Phenomenon and there is little you can do about it. There are loads of threads on here about the Dawn Phenomenon (DP).

vicky72

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is probably because you were in starvation mode not having eaten anything since yesterday lunch. When this happens our livers produce glucose to keep us going. This is known as a liver dump, or the Dawn Phenomenon and there is little you can do about it. There are loads of threads on here about the Dawn Phenomenon (DP).
Thank you..... Need to have a good long read

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Glad your new eating has been going well.

Are you feeling any better?

I've just been reading a book called the Diabetic Miracle, by Diane Cress.

Shes a type 2 diabetic dietician. Her theory is that we only start having blood glucose tolerance problems because our pancreas has been overworked, and the best way to 'reset' it to normal is to give it a rest. And she gives brilliant, detailed instructions.

I've been very impressed with her thinking, and my body is responding amazingly well to her eating plan (so far!).

You, or your husband, might find it interesting.

It was your mention of carb cravings that made me suggest the book. Carb cravings have always been my downfall, and torture :( So I really get what you are saying.

vicky72

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Glad your new eating has been going well.

Are you feeling any better?

I've just been reading a book called the Diabetic Miracle, by Diane Cress.

Shes a type 2 diabetic dietician. Her theory is that we only start having blood glucose tolerance problems because our pancreas has been overworked, and the best way to 'reset' it to normal is to give it a rest. And she gives brilliant, detailed instructions.

I've been very impressed with her thinking, and my body is responding amazingly well to her eating plan (so far!).

You, or your husband, might find it interesting.

It was your mention of carb cravings that made me suggest the book. Carb cravings have always been my downfall, and torture :( So I really get what you are saying.

Morning, feeling loads better now. I'm trying to find new foods and combinations of foods so im not getting bored or feeling hard done by. I take a trip to Water Stones and get a copy. I don't think I have read so much if my life lol

Still missing the Crisp thou......lol