4th week of lchf and not losing weight :(

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I will, thanks. Though how do you get treatment if the drs deem it "normal"?

Summer x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
We will get to that. Get the results first.

I was ill indeed for a decade and a half. My TSH never got as high as 2.5 but I was unable to function as a being, no memory, no ability to cope with anything, spent most of my life in bed and had gained 25 kilograms. No joy from the Drs so eventually took things in my own hands and started self medicating. Now I am active all day and have as good memory and all as you can expect. From vegetable, more or less, to an active, slim and energetic woman.

Reactions: 2 people

summer dreamer

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok so this week I've gained weight, not much but it's a gain

I really have no idea what's going on now. Just been on diabetesuk website and there's so much conflicting information and advice.

I've now reached a point where I am not enjoying any food at all, it feels like whatever I eat is going to harm me.

Really feeling at a complete loss as to what to do now.

Summer x

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you drinking plenty of water. I find I don't lose weight if I don't drink enough. Everything else you are doing seems fine to me

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I'm pretty certain that my body won't lose weight until I am in ketosis.
And ketosis, for me, is a very low carb intake. Basically a fat and meat diet with maybe 2 portions of green veg a day. And I cannot sustain that for more than a day or two at a time. I love food too much!

Since I've been battling weight gain my entire adult life, I am just hugely grateful not to be gaining.

So I totally sympathise!

What about doing a 3 or 4 day burst of minute amounts of carbs, as @modesty007 suggests? You must already be flirting with ketosis, so that would tip you right over. Keep your total calories down to under 1200 too. If you haven't lost an ounce after that, I would go back to the doctor, because there MUST be something else going on.

Mind you, I like the ideas about staggering calorie intake across the week, AND Indy's idea of adding some vitamin supplements.

I really feel for you - it is soul destroying.
And it's why I NEVER get on the scales any more...

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Is your body shape changing?
If you see how many pounds you weigh and x it by 10 ..that apparently is how many calories you need daily. Anything under that number should in theory help you to loose weight.
Apparently it takes a deficit of 3500 cals to loose 1lb.

summer dreamer

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your replies. I probably do need to increase my water, just put a jug in the fridge.

Will have a go at lowering the carbs further.

Exercise wise, interesting article, thanks. However with my job I visit people at home so am in and out of the car then sitting with them, then back in the office sitting at a computer, so no room for manoeuvre there. Once I'm home I guess I'm usually pottering about in the kitchen for an hour or so. The biggest problem is that my hip will suddenly give way and then I can't weight bare on it for about 10 minutes. I used to run, totally out of the question now, I also used to walk loads but again with my hip doing its thing it's quite scary to be somewhere and literally unable to walk. I do swim but even that is causing problems now.

Considering giving Newcastle diet a go as I really have no idea what else to try, need to see some results to keep motivated.

Summer x

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is possible you eat too little and first and foremost too little fat. Cut carbs to a minimum, see that you get enough fat and eat until you are full. LCHF isn't about calorie restriction but about carb restriction. Weight loss and gain, hunger and satiety is mainly about hormones and LCHF tends to make the hormones work better.

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
It is possible you eat too little and first and foremost too little fat. Cut carbs to a minimum, see that you get enough fat and eat until you are full. LCHF isn't about calorie restriction but about carb restriction. Weight loss and gain, hunger and satiety is mainly about hormones and LCHF tends to make the hormones work better.
Totally agree with totto.
I've been on a strict version of LCHF with less then 10 gram of carbs per day for 3-4 weeks and lost 3,5 kilo (7,7 lbs) after a weight loss stall and I rarely eat less then 1500 cals more likely 1700-1800 per day.

gfmoore

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's very tough, but remember the main issue is to control the blood glucose. The weight loss is an extra benefit when it comes.

Reactions: 6 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm doing Atkins and he stresses fat is vital to aid the weightloss if low carbing. Why don't you calculate your basal calorie requirement for your weight and then consume 300 calories less than that? That's what I do but admit my weightloss is slow.

Atkins also says a lot of us have metabolic syndrome from years of yoyo dieting. I definitely think this is me.

Don't lose heart - keep at it and try to move a bit more - nothing fancy just get up and down more. My back is bad and result is excrutiating leg pain but I try to walk as much as possible. And drink loads of water!!

Best of luck!

X

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
I would get your thyroid checked out and vit D. Both of these can impact on weight loss. You do need to drink galons of water too! I have a fry up for brekkie, skip lunch or if I do feel hungry, a handful of peanuts. At 3 I have 2 baby bels. Dinner is meat/fish and veggies, lentils or salad. LCHF pudding twice a week and wine twice a week. Lose 1-2lbs a week but sometimes maintain like this week. Hope this helps!

coreservers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
i've stopped or plateaued this week. although i might have done too many veggies. so it's back to a beef roast for dinner. the previous 3 weeks i lost a total of 4 kg, last week just 0.9 and this week i feel i;ve gained but wont know till i weigh on sunday. just had 5 slices of zuchinni raw cheddar and iceberg letuce for lunch.

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i've stopped or plateaued this week. although i might have done too many veggies. so it's back to a beef roast for dinner. the previous 3 weeks i lost a total of 4 kg, last week just 0.9 and this week i feel i;ve gained but wont know till i weigh on sunday. just had 5 slices of zuchinni raw cheddar and iceberg letuce for lunch.
I'm calling it 'maintaining'. I've not kept the carbs as low this week after taking Saturday off for a party. I've just about got back on track by today and have now been invited out tonight, and have been told we're having a take-away curry. Not sure how I'll low carb with that.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I plateaued and that's what made me do Atkins and reduced carbs to 20g max a day to give me a kick. It worked. I'm now on trying 25g a fat. Rock n roll!!!!

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm a great believer in trying different things every now and then. My body seems to adjust to any diet and slips into my weight staying the same. A kick start of really low carbs (under 20g) or under 1000 cals has worked so far. I also think I need to build in breaks to stop it all becoming obsessive in a bad way.

summer dreamer

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My weight has finally started coming off, I actually upped the carbs a little to between 50-70g and stayed under 1200 calories a day, averaging about 1000. Losing about 1kg a week now.

Summer x

Reactions: 6 people

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm calling it 'maintaining'. I've not kept the carbs as low this week after taking Saturday off for a party. I've just about got back on track by today and have now been invited out tonight, and have been told we're having a take-away curry. Not sure how I'll low carb with that.
Go for Tikka, Tandoori or Kebabs with sald

sweetisha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Maybe the fats are still trans fats and they restrict your methylation inside your body and cells.. also soya milk and some other foods like gluten free all restrict ..I researched 2 years before i just jumped into lchf and I have lost 10 kilo in 1 1/2 months.. so i do believe in it.. But i take supplements to help the body heal inside.. and I'm planning to continue for at least a few more months until i feel ready and that my body and methylation will be able to get the nutrients from food so that i can take less supplements.. this is how i started and as im on a budget it was not wise for me to not research.. I read alot of articles and listened online to the doctors and scientists that had gone indepth over there findings and what worked and what didnt etc... and they do say that gluten free is not enough it should be no wheat or no grains..even in foods with added wheat can disrupt the weight loss process by intervering with the methylation and that soya is simular to another hormone so the body gets confused and doesnot take in the nutrients that it needs...You could google Dr perlmutter or on FB..Dr Terry Wahls is also very thorough in her findings.. she healed herself...So hope you get something to work on
success Tisha

Reactions: 2 people