Moody and depression - is this normal?

Just_me

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

I am a T2 diabetic and was diagnosed nearly 4 years ago at the age of 25. I was diagnosed with depression soon afterwards. I find that some days I am overwhelmed with anxiety and I sometimes get emotional when I think about my future. I've gone to as many learning days/ conferences as possible and it's nice to meet fellow diabetics but most of the time I just feel at a lost when I think of it being a progressive disease. I don't have any children yet but would love to be a mum one day but diabetes and pregnancy sounds very scary! I also don't know of any diabetics who are around my age so that I can discuss things with. My parents are both diabetics but because they have other medical conditions they sort of bung everything together and say "we're old" and accept things simply as they are.

I find that for the past few years my mood has changed from being a laid back, fun person to a really really moody cow. (Seriously! I don't even want to be friends with myself) I find that I can lose my temper really easily and over the smallest, unimportant things but I can't seem to stop myself!!

Is any of this normal?! I spend most days feeling guilty that I am constantly snapping at the people who mean the world to me. I just don't understand what's going on with me. I know none of this May have nothing whatsoever to do with my diabetes but it feels like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders to be able to write down how I really feel :)

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh dear you sound as though you are gong through a tough patch. :)

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Hello and welcome.
What do you think is stopping you having an interesting fulfilling future?
There are diabetic women here had and having kids.
How is your diabetes just now?
I know lots of questions ... I must sound very clinical ... sorry I'm off to my bed shortly.
Are you dealing with your diabetes ... diet drugs taking readings?

Reactions: 2 people

Just_me

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you both for replying.

Ironically, my most recent hab1c results have been the lowest it's ever been. I'm currently on metformin, forxiga, victoza in the morning and insulin at night.

It's been a rough few years with my dad needing a liver transplant and now his kidneys are only functioning at 23% due to diabetic damage, in between I was diagnosed with diabetes.

I spoke to a lady at a diabetes event and she told me about her difficulties during pregnancy, she's diabetic too.

Basically diabetes scares me. I'm just waiting to find some form of motivation to keep me going

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
HEllo again. Its bound to scare you after your father's experiences but you need to try to enjoy each new day:)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi. I know about mood swings and snapping and feeling anxious and a lot had to do with not knowing about my condition. Fluctuating blood sugar levels can be a cause of this. I am not sure of the depression side of it but I have known the uncontrolled weeping and not wanting friends even family not to bother me and even the kids and grandkids I was just narky.
With the help of the great people on this forum, and learning about my condition i got control of my blood levels found a diet that suited me and now I lead a full life and never been so fit and healthy for well over twenty years.
T2 is not degenerative. It doesn't have to rule your life. Have a look at all the mothers to be threads and how they are coping.
There are plenty of success stories on the forum. You can to! I know you are wary but you have took the first step, by posting, now take another!

Reactions: 4 people

Just_me

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you so much! I am geeling4 more positive now and am nore conscious about what I am eating and doing. I won't let diabetes define me :)

Reactions: 4 people

NotSoSweet2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rudeness, tv soaps.
Glad to hear that you are feeling more positive now, thats great news. I am going through a bad patch right now, severe depression, keep breaking down into flood of tears which is really unlike me as I am usually so upbeat and positive. I just can't seem to snap out of it, not sure what is causing it but I feel awful. :(

Just_me

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Notsosweet,

I completely understand how you feel!! I tried counselling for 3 months and was on anti-depressants for 3.5 years. Sometimes I couldn't understand why I was feeling sad, it was like a black cloud was constantly over my head. I actually ended up quitting 2 really good jobs because I couldn't cope. At the time I didn't identify it as depression, I just thought I was fed up of my life and looked for something, ANYTHING new.

I've recently started writing stuff down, like things that make me feel sad or anxious and then try to logically think of a solution or if there isn't one because it's something that's happened in the past and I'm feeling an overwhelming sense of regret then I say to myself "no! That was in the past, I can't change it and THIS is my life now".

Please know that you are not at all alone. Many people with diabetes are also trying to cope with depression too. I hope this site comforts you in some way as it does me. If you're ever feeling down you can just message me and vent anything that's on your mind. I promise I won't judge and it's definitely good to vent.

Hope you start to feel better soon. Just remember, tomorrow is a new day :)

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't know if you need to lose weight, but it seems a package deal.

if you keep your BG within range, you wont have bad complications
you adjust your weight and BG by the amount of carb you eat

these sites helped me
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarbliving/a/Food-Cravings.htm
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf read and watch video

testing BG
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/
http://diabeticmediterraneandiet.com/low-carb-mediterranean-diet/
http://www.lowcarbdietitian.com/blog/carbohydrate-restriction-an-option-for-diabetes-management

NotSoSweet2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rudeness, tv soaps.
Thank you both, just don't feel like talking at the moment but I really do appreciate your encouragement.