Sugar and Pot Noodles

C

chris lowe

Read two reports recently. One said that rather than salt causing high lood pressure, which we've had drummed into us for goodness knows how long, it's actually sugar that is causing our blood pressure to go through the roof. (Of course this now means that I can take these studies with a pinch of salt now I know it's safe)

The other was that Pot Noodles, the staple nourishment for thousands of students over the years, isn't actually all that bad as junk food goes. It's got a highish level of protein, lowish sugars and no artificial colourings and preservatives, so I'm off to the local Tesco Express for a late night snack..

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yep, probably best to leave, or at least duck.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pot noodle contains MSG. So whilst it may be true that it's got no artificial colourings or preservatives, it does have an artificial flavour enhancer.

http://www.theecologist.org/green_g...label/324563/behind_the_label_pot_noodle.html

"Monosodium glutamate (E621) is a central nervous system poison in the same family as Aspartame.
Reported adverse reactions include migraine headache, asthma, nausea and vomiting, fatigue, tightness in the chest, a burning sensation in the forearms and the back of the neck, disorientation, and depression. Recent studies suggest long-term eye damage can result from its use including retinal lesions and thinning of the retina itself and macular degeneration."

Now why would anyone, especially a diabetic want to eat one? It's not 'food' because it contains a substance which can act like a poison. Why take the risk particularly with retinal damage which we already know is a problem for diabetics?

Last edited by a moderator:

MINTYBLUE

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Smoking/Lateness/Untidyness
Would ONE Pot Noodle be ok for midday snack ..Im type 2

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Would ONE Pot Noodle be ok for midday snack ..Im type 2

I personally wouldn’t eat one for a meal, nevermind a snack. At 60 plus grams of carbohydrate per standard pot, that’s more than I eat in a day, most days!

Reactions: Olufisayo

Olufisayo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Going out. After closing from work, I relax at home.
Read two reports recently. One said that rather than salt causing high lood pressure, which we've had drummed into us for goodness knows how long, it's actually sugar that is causing our blood pressure to go through the roof. (Of course this now means that I can take these studies with a pinch of salt now I know it's safe)

The other was that Pot Noodles, the staple nourishment for thousands of students over the years, isn't actually all that bad as junk food goes. It's got a highish level of protein, lowish sugars and no artificial colourings and preservatives, so I'm off to the local Tesco Express for a late night snack..

I take meds for my raised blood pressure daily. Now with my T2, I sometimes do add some salt to my food. My intuition makes me do that. I don’t know if my intuition is right

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I used to love pot noodles and have a couple in the cupboard for me and my hubby but not eaten it yet and now wondering whether eating one is a good idea after reading the above posts