The worst diabetic. HELP.

Abc-123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Right, well a lot of you are going to read this and actually think is this person a retard, or even just how or why is she still alive. As these are all the only thoughts I am stuck and left with.

I was diagnosed at the age of 11 and since then my love for sugary foods overpowered my care for my well being and my retaliation against my diabetes slowly worsened to smoking, excessive alcohol binges, drugs and smoking marijuana day and nightly whilst the munchies left me to binge on fast foods and basically willy wonkas factory.

I have finally woken up from my sugar filled dream that I've been deliriously living in after recently trying to commit suicide with an insulin overdose. But I fear it may be too late, as I have no memory of my life. You'd never of expected that I am actually a graduate of science with a 2.1. And being back home from uni I'm stuck in a depressed state I can't get out of, and I need to for my family.

Don't know what I'm expecting to receive in reply to this, but if nothing I hope this can at least be a warning to newly diagnosed rebels.

Reactions: 2 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hi, im t2 and know nothing of the stresses a type one child goes through, it must be dreadful and ive read often of folks going through tough times with it during the growing up period, so hey stop beating yourself up, you cant move forward while looking back, your new life starts today, its never too late, have a read of the forum, lots of clever nice folks here that have been through the same as you, best of luck i look forward to reading the stories of your new found successes

Reactions: 4 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Right, well a lot of you are going to read this and actually think is this person a retard, or even just how or why is she still alive. As these are all the only thoughts I am stuck and left with.

I was diagnosed at the age of 11 and since then my love for sugary foods overpowered my care for my well being and my retaliation against my diabetes slowly worsened to smoking, excessive alcohol binges, drugs and smoking marijuana day and nightly whilst the munchies left me to binge on fast foods and basically willy wonkas factory.

I have finally woken up from my sugar filled dream that I've been deliriously living in after recently trying to commit suicide with an insulin overdose. But I fear it may be too late, as I have no memory of my life. You'd never of expected that I am actually a graduate of science with a 2.1. And being back home from uni I'm stuck in a depressed state I can't get out of, and I need to for my family.

Don't know what I'm expecting to receive in reply to this, but if nothing I hope this can at least be a warning to newly diagnosed rebels.
Well done for posting. Very brave. So now you've woken up, what are you going to do to sort yourself out? The doc might be a good place to start. You need a meter.
Here's a good website. This plan works for T1 and T2. https://www.dietdoctor.com/diabetes

Abc-123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for being so kind! I hope to try and enlighten something out of this diabetic madness I have gotten myself into. Well I have had meetings and reenrolled with my diabetic team in the hospital, and I'm scheduled to start carb counting soon and I'm watching my diet, although temptation some times is so god dam hard! I know how badly I've treated my diabetes is the route for my memory problems but is there anyway of improving this?

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't know, stress can cause memory loss. It may come back if it's emotionally based. It has to be scary for you and I would ask your diabetic team, or someone here may know

it may not seem like it now, but you have actually turned the corner and are on the way up, just joining the forum and making your appointments has shown this

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thank you for being so kind! I hope to try and enlighten something out of this diabetic madness I have gotten myself into. Well I have had meetings and reenrolled with my diabetic team in the hospital, and I'm scheduled to start carb counting soon and I'm watching my diet, although temptation some times is so god dam hard! I know how badly I've treated my diabetes is the route for my memory problems but is there anyway of improving this?
Seriously have a look at my diet. Jack follows this too but there are plenty ofT1s too. You won't feel hungry and the cheese, cream, bacon etc will make you feel satiated. You can have a couple of squares of dark choccie per day. I was strictly a dairy milk girl but the lack of carbs and sweet stuff changes your taste buds. First few days are tough but if you can do it you'll feel great. You'll feel ****** whilst your body flushes through the carbs too. Try it - you've got nothing to lose and everything to gain! Big hug!

Abc-123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Everyone says it eventually will but I no longer know what doesn't stress me out! It's all a mess at the moment but hopefully with a diabetic change this will all follow. Thank you for your support! I will have a look at your diet now, if it stops the cravings I will more than happily jump on this band wagan!

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Everyone says it eventually will but I no longer know what doesn't stress me out! It's all a mess at the moment but hopefully with a diabetic change this will all follow. Thank you for your support! I will have a look at your diet now, if it stops the cravings I will more than happily jump on this band wagan!
Don't shop when you're hungry and stay away from the sweets, cakes and cereal aisles for a week.
Start the day with a fry up (minus beans and bread)
Think tapas for lunch
Chicken casserole for dinner.
Check out my recipe thread
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/scandis-recipes.55882/

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm T2 so I don't know if its the same for type 1s, but since I reduce my carb intake by over half, I have felt much more awake and with it, and generally better in myself. Hopefully as you take control, you will start to feel better physically and mentally and you confidence in yourself will grow. As you start to feel better, you might want to get out more, which can only help, both you and your family.

Be warned, you might go through a bad patch for a few days as your body reacts to the reduced carbs, it is basically like going mild cold turkey as carbs are an addiction, but you will get through it and you will feel much better afterwards.

Good luck and keep strong.

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You've made a great start by deciding to turn things around. Low carb will be a good way to go. Also, stay in touch with this forum. The support on here has been great for helping pull me back into line when I've gone off the rails.

Best of luck with changing your lifestyle.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, ABC-123.
You are so right " I need to for my family " I would say that you are the most important member to this lovely family.
I hope that you and with your families help in every way possible get you out of this type of depression.
Also thanks for being so brave and I hope many nice people on this forum will give you all the good advice etc; that will get you back on track.

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
Today is the first day of the rest of your life .. listen to the well informed folk on this forum. Get some counselling for the depression, I've been there and it's just the pitts but with the right education/medication you can manage it. Good luck and let us know how you are getting on x

@jack412 Another new avator - you trying to sell something, LOL! :)

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.

Hi @Abc-123 ,

Well done for waking up - and so soon after diagnosis! You've only ten years of poor habits to break, which seems like a long time, but - believe me, it isn't!

Breaking the carb-centric lifestyle can be hard, especially when surrounded by a carb-centric world, but it appears - from the evidence of so many on this forum - to be worth it.

As for the drugs and alcohol and smoking? Well, you've been there and had some times. You've paid a price , but there's no need to keep shedding blood over it; keep the time in your mind, learn from it and then move forward - we humans tend to learn better from our mistakes!

Good luck, dig deep and keep posting.

Best wishes,
Conrad

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Welcome ... you have landed in the right place.
Quit the weed.
The weed will do you know harm but the munchies may well kill you.
I reckon getting my head round what I was reading in this place has turned my health around.
If you have been hammering the weed the late nights drinking ... and eating to die ... your memory may well only be partially operating.
I've had quite a bit of experience with people with drug problems and 99 and three quarters out of a hundred ... come bouncing back to fully functioning status and I mean fully functioning emotionally mentally spiritually physically ... no or few health issues.
But you have diabetes which I'm only just learning about for myself and I'm T2.
I notice you're only 21 so you haven't had a lifetime of abusing yourself.
You're young in mind and body and have everything going for you.
Stick with this place for some great knowledge and experience regarding the diabetes.
If you have any problems regarding the drugs ... emotions memory addiction ... seek the help of pros near by.
There are good and bad and you sound intelligent enough to spot the difference.
Welcome aboard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 8 people

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
The weed will do you know harm but the munchies may well kill you.

I beg to differ: 'weed' could do her harm.

(I dealt with a couple of cases of acute psychosis brought on by overindulgence of the more potent plants)...

Otherwise, well said.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i smoked ALOT of weed and hash from the age of 13 to the age of 42 and I'm alr...... oh wait.....bad example