LCHF Soup

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello. Im just thinking of the winter. I enjoy making soup and before diagnosis loved to eat leek and potato soup and butternut squash and sweet potato soup. Since starting to use the LCHF diet I havent eaten any potatoes. I wondered if anyone had any good soup recipes that fit in with LCHF? Thank you:)

Reactions: 2 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
  1. I don't actually have any "proper" recipes as such, but I regularly have chicken drumsticks for my lunch and save the bones, skin and any bits I can't get off the bone, in he fridge or freezer until I have enough to boil them up with fresh herbs and usually a bit of celery and sometimes a few slices of baby carrot. Then I use the stock from this and add either a bit more chicken and some mushrooms, or asparagus stalks , or spinach & nutmeg, or sometimes I use tinned tomatoes (which are a bit higher carb for me) , add a good dollop of (sour) cream and blend it all up, which makes it nice & thick and filling. I have a bowl with a slice of cheesey shortbread and butter or some parmesan & flaxseed crisps. My niece makes a great cauliflower and stilton soup and I'm going to get her recipe to try this winter. And an elderly friend used to make courgette or butternut squash soups. You could also have a browse our low carb recipes thread, and there should be lots more low carb recipes if you do a Google search.
Robbity

Reactions: 5 people

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
Hi Mo

When you say LCHF, how low do you go? e.g. 100g a day or 30g a day?

I am a soup addict, I have soup nearly every day (even in the hot Australian summer), it is my comfort food and a great way of including more veggies in my diet.

My favourite soup is made with red peppers, tomatoes and carrots, stock, dollop of cream, chilli, smoked paprika. I have a vitamix which blends it down to the consistency of tinned soup.

Another one I like is cauliflower, broccoli & watercress ... boil it up in some stock, add some cream and blend til smooth.

If you eat carrots you could make a Thai Carrot Soup with coconut milk.

Hope that gives you some ideas. I also sometimes make a French Onion Soup topped with grated cheese (no croutons though!)

Reactions: 8 people

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
Hi Mo

When you say LCHF, how low do you go? e.g. 100g a day or 30g a day?

I am a soup addict, I have soup nearly every day (even in the hot Australian summer), it is my comfort food and a great way of including more veggies in my diet.

My favourite soup is made with red peppers, tomatoes and carrots, stock, dollop of cream, chilli, smoked paprika. I have a vitamix which blends it down to the consistency of tinned soup.

Another one I like is cauliflower, broccoli & watercress ... boil it up in some stock, add some cream and blend til smooth.

If you eat carrots you could make a Thai Carrot Soup with coconut milk.

Hope that gives you some ideas. I also sometimes make a French Onion Soup topped with grated cheese (no croutons though!)
I just remembered another one if you like a chunkier soup:

Chicken, Bacon, Celery, Carrots, Onion, Herbs and Cream .. I think the original recipe even had an egg in it (blended into the creaminess if you get my drift) .. if you like the sound of it, I'll dig the recipe out, it was in an old Women's Weekly cookbook :)

Reactions: 3 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Broccoli and Stilton
Cauliflower and chorizo
Matter sons and aubergine
Roast chicken, sage and onion
Proper tomato
With basil or thyme or paprika
Ham and leek

The world really is your lobster bisque...

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you all for the brilliant ideas . Lesleywo yes I would love the recipe if you can find it. Lol I even laughed at the answers provided by Jack and Tim. The thread is already becoming a good resource ready for the colder weather. Thank yu

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Dibbles Im really pleased but what is a froothie?

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That sounds brilliant. Let us know how you get on with it.:)

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you like leek and potato soup try leek and Celeriac
Gently soften the sliced leeks in a generous knob of butter add peeled and chopped celeriac cover with half milk. and water add a veg stock cube and simmer until soft .You can stir in cream and add chopped chives or parsley
CAROL

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Carty. That sounds a great idea. Ive never tried celeriac or prepared it so it will be something new. Brilliant:)

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Really? I can see Im going to have to buy some and experiment. Thank you :)

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
Thank you all for the brilliant ideas . Lesleywo yes I would love the recipe if you can find it. Lol I even laughed at the answers provided by Jack and Tim. The thread is already becoming a good resource ready for the colder weather. Thank yu
Would you believe I can't find the exact recipe ... I made it years ago when my Dad was ill and we were trying to get nourishing food into him. Knowing me though I probably made half of it up as I'm not too good at following recipes so you will have to have it from memory and use your imagination with the measurements!

Basic ingredients were chicken fillets, bacon, celery, onion, carrots, sage, thyme, chicken stock. Saute all ingredients in some butter, add chicken stock and cook until all ingredients are tender. Blend some cream and an egg in a food processor and stir into the soup before serving. Season with salt and pepper.

You could omit the egg if you wanted. If you wanted a thicker consistency you could blend a few of the veggies and then add them back to the soup/

Enjoy! :)

Reactions: 2 people

alliebee

One of my favorites is Libby's @wiflib..chicken and leek...its honestly is so simple but so so good. And I know I'm not alone..lots of people have raved about it. Pop it in the search box as I'm not sure where her link is